BBL Big Bash League Expansion Thread

What expansion teams should be added to the Big Bash League?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That is the reason we will have the regional games (a match in Geelong or Ballarat would be less profitable than an additional match in Melbourne).
KP is a very low cost ground compared to the MCG under 75-80k. A sellout at KP would make a BBL team more money than a stars home game with 45k (or what they average v [not the renegades]). Geelong average $750k to $1m profit per AFL game.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/9c056ca74f36d2bc266946f810c45eca

Our capacity crowd was 22,000 last year and we made about $750,000 profit per game.

KP is a very low cost ground compared to the MCG under 75-80k. A sellout at KP would make a BBL team more money than a stars home game with 45k (or what they average v [not the renegades]). Geelong average $750k to $1m profit per AFL game.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/9c056ca74f36d2bc266946f810c45eca

There is no evidence that BBL stadium deals are anything like the AFL stadium deals.

MCG deal might be similar but I'm rather dubious that a Melbourne team playing a one off game in Geelong would get anything like the sweetheart deal the Cats get.

Eden Park has removable seating to assist cricket being played there

seating_plan.png

Newcastle's Number 1 Sports Ground (yes, that's what it's actually called) hosted a T20 match back in 2007 between New South Wales and South Australia. Local rugby league hero Andrew Johns competed in that match for NSW and the game pulled a crowd of 10,652. The city of Newcastle is probably better off upgrading this stadium to host a Sixers match than trying to make it work at a rectangular ground.

So what are the options for regional games?

Adelaide - Darwin?
Brisbane - Gold Coast, Townsville, Cairns
Hobart - Launceston
Renegades - Geelong
Stars - Ballarat?
Scorchers - Fremantle
Sixers - Newcastle
Thunder - Canberra

Newcastle's Number 1 Sports Ground (yes, that's what it's actually called) hosted a T20 match back in 2007 between New South Wales and South Australia. Local rugby league hero Andrew Johns competed in that match for NSW and the game pulled a crowd of 10,652. The city of Newcastle is probably better off upgrading this stadium to host a Sixers match than trying to make it work at a rectangular ground.

Adelaide - Darwin?
Hobart - Launceston
Renegades - Geelong
Stars - Ballarat?
Scorchers - Fremantle
Sixers - Newcastle
Thunder - Canberra

Fremantle is not a regional place. Its a suburb of Perth (and isn't even an outer suburb). Its also don't have a stadium anywhere near suitable.

Essentially everyone living south of the river (pretty much non of whom identify as living in Fremantle) would find it easier to attend a match in the Perth stadium, would prefer to attend a match in the Perth stadium and more of them would be able to attend a match in the Perth stadium.
You could actually extend that statement to include people living in Rockingham and Mandurah as well in regards to matches hosted there and Rockingham and Mandurah at least actually have reasons to be considered separate from Perth.

Even a one off game at the WACA, itself a really stupid idea, is a better idea than Fremantle.

Fremantle is not a regional place. Its a suburb of Perth (and isn't even an outer suburb). Its also don't have a stadium anywhere near suitable.

Essentially everyone living south of the river (pretty much non of whom identify as living in Fremantle) would find it easier to attend a match in the Perth stadium, would prefer to attend a match in the Perth stadium and more of them would be able to attend a match in the Perth stadium.
You could actually extend that statement to include people living in Rockingham and Mandurah as well in regards to matches hosted there and Rockingham and Mandurah at least actually have reasons to be considered separate from Perth.

Even a one off game at the WACA, itself a really stupid idea, is a better idea than Fremantle.

Yes I'd think you'd use the WACA for shield games. International & BBL games at the new stadium. Maybe? :)

Scorchers - Fremantle
Freo is not a regional area. Even Mandurah's not a regional area these days. Freo Oval couldn't hold a BBL game. The grade cricket stadium (Stevens Reserve) couldn't host it, not East Freo Oval.

Freo is not a regional area. Even Mandurah's not a regional area these days. Freo Oval couldn't hold a BBL game. The grade cricket stadium (Stevens Reserve) couldn't host it, not East Freo Oval.
Mandurah might be accessible to the city, but I think it still qualifies as regional. That train trip takes forever. Not that there's a suitable cricket oval to play BBL there.

Adelaide - Darwin?
Hobart - Launceston
Renegades - Geelong
Stars - Ballarat?
Scorchers - Fremantle
Sixers - Newcastle
Thunder - Canberra

What's the capacity at Glenelg for (Adelaide) and Lilac Hill (for Perth)? I'm guessing tiny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always thought Lilac Hill would make a fantastic county-style boutique ground for Shield Games and the Matador Cup with a bit of development.

Pleasure of a ground to play at (out first ball of the match so had plenty of time to appreciate it...).

Whilst aesthetically seeing shield games played at large venues with minimal spectactors is a bit sad, I think there is an argument that it does help players acclimatise for that next step up. Agree though that a round or two out at a grade ground or in the country is an appealing idea - much like they do in County Cricket with the weekend festivals etc.

Bunbury is the only logical spot for a regional game in WA imo. That's if they can make Hands Oval (or another venue) big enough with temporary seating. Fremantle is like Manly in Sydney or St Kilda in Melbourne. It's really not that far at all. Mandurah is also considered Perth these days as well. Both suggestions show nothing but a lack of understanding of Perth, which is fine if you've never been here btw (if I wasn't born here I doubt I ever would've either). Bunbury isn't the worst the place for it IMO. It's close enough that some people will make the journey down but still at least half the crowd would actually be from Bunbury or nearby towns. In Fremantle or Mandurah it'd be mostly the same fans going just less of them. What's the point?

Same goes for playing games at Glenelg. Glenelg is suburb inside Adelaide and will attract the same fans only less of them and make it harder for most strikers fans to attend whilst not exposing the BBL to a new market. Darwin has hosted a test match but that was in the dry season. Alice Springs although it has a smaller population probably has better weather for that time of year. Strikers probably would want their regional game to stay in South Australia but doubt that'll happen tbh.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Have the "How far from Perth is Fremantle?" types really never noticed the Eagles and Dockers have played in the same stadiums forever?

Cricket Victoria kicks in $500,000 on top of $2 million being put into redevlopment of Ballarat's old Eastern Oval. Ballarat's Eastern Oval once hosted State v International one day games every couple of years, but over the last 10 years the ground's ageing infrastructure has seen it lose out to Bendigo, Albury and Shepparton. Cricket Victoria are now backing the old Eastern Oval as a new Regional Cricket Hub, with $500,000 to be spent upgrading change facilities for both genders and the installation of new upgraded lighting to the oval which will see it upgraded to Level 2 (300 lux to the outfield and 500 lux at centre wicket). The council for their part are about to spend a significant amount to improve spectator amenities aeound the ground, paving, terraces, and a new scoreboard/bar facility. While it won't be as big or modern as Eureka Stadium, it will fill another niche of providing a relaxed classic cricket ground that provides intimacy with the game for crowds up to 8000.

Ballarat's Eureka Stadium as at Wednesday 8th March:

The grandstands are quite elegant in a modernistic and industrial sense. As the main grandstand is eventually extended in time, coupled with eventual landscaping and roadworks, the ground will become quite a showpiece.

17191836_1461915080509665_5402734885499572592_o.jpg

17157653_1461915077176332_8375057681671271913_o.jpg

17097839_1461915153842991_7966634599982226305_o.jpg

17097843_1461914890509684_6653726546436410517_o.jpg

17192064_1461914993843007_3394280586023422032_o.jpg

I kind of like that stand design. Having grown up in Launceston, and having seen the ongoing development of York Park/Aurora Stadium/UTAS stadium, it always shocks me to see how much different governments/cities etc spend on stadia. Stands like those picture above (and those that make up 2/3 of York Park) can be built so cheaply, and can fit so many more people in comfortably.

Ballarat are really stepping up as a regional centre for sport. Not only is Eureka stadium pictured above getting a huge over haul as well as the money cricket Victoria are putting in to eastern oval the council have it are scheduled to upgrade most of its footy/cricket grounds. I'm living in Bendigo and can only wish our council would undertake that type of investment in sports facilities

I kind of like that stand design. Having grown up in Launceston, and having seen the ongoing development of York Park/Aurora Stadium/UTAS stadium, it always shocks me to see how much different governments/cities etc spend on stadia. Stands like those picture above (and those that make up 2/3 of York Park) can be built so cheaply, and can fit so many more people in comfortably.
That's the thing about York Park, in total its hard something like $60m spent on it in just shy of 20 years. And a quarter of that was the lights.
That spend has taken it from a venue where temporary seating was on the back of flat trays when a crowd of 2500 was expected for a TFL preliminary final to being able to handle around 20k.
And don't the southerners love to bitch about it.

Back