BBL Big Bash League Expansion Thread

What expansion teams should be added to the Big Bash League?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is that outside of the WACA and the new stadium there is no stadium in Western Australia that meets minimal standards to host professional events.

Alice Springs does because having like 15% of the Territory's population, it gets a lot of pork barreling for a city of its size.
The next biggest city after Perth-Fremantle is Bunbury. After that Albany or Kalgoorlie-Boulder, which from memory only comes in at about 30,000 (Devonport or Warnambool size). Probably roughly the same as the Alice, but facilities are going to be an issue. Are there evenn turh pitches, much less crowd facilities, in these places? Kalgoorlie has (had?) a decent footy league, so probably has one good oval that could cater for a few thousand easily enough.

The next biggest city after Perth-Fremantle is Bunbury. After that Albany or Kalgoorlie-Boulder, which from memory only comes in at about 30,000 (Devonport or Warnambool size). Probably roughly the same as the Alice, but facilities are going to be an issue. Are there evenn turh pitches, much less crowd facilities, in these places? Kalgoorlie has (had?) a decent footy league, so probably has one good oval that could cater for a few thousand easily enough.

No need to be condescending "are there even turf pitches"..

Would wager around 75% of even the tiny towns in rural WA would have a turf wicket. Not exactly sure on figures but when I was a kid Albany would've had five or six.

Turf facilities isn't the issue.

Crowd, vendor facilities, practice wickets and media facilities are.

The fact that BBL matches would be guaranteed for Bunbury will hopefully sort that out soon.

No need to be condescending "are there even turf pitches"..

Would wager around 75% of even the tiny towns in rural WA would have a turf wicket. Not exactly sure on figures but when I was a kid Albany would've had five or six.
I was thinking more of Kalgoorlie with that question. Apparently some of the larger places in the north (Broome, Port Hedaland) do not. Turf pitches are expensive and I imagine even moreso in conditions of extreme heat.

8381024-3x2-940x627.jpg

finlayson.jpg

$20 million sporting complex just opened with full turf wicket block - Council is supposedly bidding for the Shield game in coming years. Two pretty solid country footy ovals in Sir Richard Moore (Kalgoorlie) and Digger Daws (Boulder) as well.

8381024-3x2-940x627.jpg

finlayson.jpg

$20 million sporting complex just opened with full turf wicket block - Council is supposedly bidding for the Shield game in coming years. Two pretty solid country footy ovals in Sir Richard Moore (Kalgoorlie) and Digger Daws (Boulder) as well.

Would rather Kalgoorlie host than Alice.

I was thinking more of Kalgoorlie with that question. Apparently some of the larger places in the north (Broome, Port Hedaland) do not. Turf pitches are expensive and I imagine even moreso in conditions of extreme heat.

Broome and Port Hedland have like 10k people. They're not really good comparisons to Kalgoorlie.

Apparently some of the larger places in the north (Broome, Port Hedaland)
Hedland and Broome are too small to justify having a place with the necessary facilities. Only place north of Geraldton that possibly could would be Karratha, but don't think they have any at their 'lesuireplex'

Does channel 10 still have broadcasting rights for the next big bash?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Melbourne and Sydney get 5 home games I'll be livid if Perth have to play in ******* Alice Springs.

The article I read today good as confirms that we are getting an extra game in Perth.

The Renegades, Thunder and Strikers are the only ones with games up in the air from what I understand with Hobart already confirming Launceston as an additional venue. The fixture in question for the strikers is actually the fixture against the scorchers

Stars Sixers and I think heat all get additional home matches at there home grounds the rest of the comp has to suck up and travel to regional areas

Why can't the Heat play on the Gold Coast?
Metricon Stadium will go undergo renovations for the Commonwealth Games next year and won't be capable of hosting anything beyond August/September. Far more likely to see the Heat play a game on the Gold Coast in 2018-19 when the stadium is back up to scratch.

Metricon Stadium will go undergo renovations for the Commonwealth Games next year and won't be capable of hosting anything beyond August/September. Far more likely to see the Heat play a game on the Gold Coast in 2018-19 when the stadium is back up to scratch.

I don't imagine that Metricon is even fitted out for a drop in pitch is it?

I could be wrong, but I don't recall any cricket - first class or otherwise - being played at Metricon since it was renovated?

I could be wrong, but I don't recall any cricket - first class or otherwise - being played at Metricon since it was renovated?

They also upgraded the lights to the standard needed for cricket in the off season.

Wouldn't have that Kardinia Park would be fitted out for a drop in pitch but it was.

Back