BBL Big Bash League Expansion Thread

What expansion teams should be added to the Big Bash League?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You lost me the moment you suggested Gold Coast. Terrible idea.
Every sports team that's failed there has been very poorly run, Titans in their first few seasons and even Suns pre-Eade era have shown that a GC club run properly can actually succeed. Suns got a bigger home crowd average being a bottom 4 team than Giants did being a top 6 team. Bullets are playing a home game at Carrara tomorrow and it's sold out.

Seems way too convoluted to me given how casual fans are about the competition.
I'd prefer a 9 team comp where every team plays each other once (36 games, 8 games each team) with a final 4 system that has a double chance for top 2 (4 games, 40 all up) so the comp lasts 5 weeks but there's absolutely no chance of that happening under the current TV deal

I'd prefer a 9 team comp where every team plays each other once (36 games, 8 games each team) with a final 4 system that has a double chance for top 2 (4 games, 40 all up) so the comp lasts 5 weeks but there's absolutely no chance of that happening under the current TV deal
No need for double chance when you have home ground advantage. Do many sports other than AFL and NRL offer a double chance?

But the current season format is balls. If they want home and away, then you must have two conferences.

No need for double chance when you have home ground advantage. Do many sports other than AFL and NRL offer a double chance?

But the current season format is balls. If they want home and away, then you must have two conferences.
Literally every other T20 tournament that has a top 4 has that format. Only T20 comps that don't are England (who have 18 teams) and the BBL

IPL does from what I heard, NBA/NBL/MLB you could argue on a technicality does with their best out of (numerous) finals

Not fussed about finals format, the #1 problem is the length of the season. The BBL should finish just either side of the end of January.

BBL8 - 2018-19: Dec 19 - Feb 17
BBL7 - 2017-18: Dec 19 - Feb 4
BBL6 - 2016-17: Dec 20 - Jan 28
BBL5 - 2015-16: Dec 17 - Jan 24
BBL4 - 2014-15: Dec 18 - Jan 28
BBL3 - 2013-14: Dec 20 - Feb 7 (too many days with no games, and only 4 double-headers)
BBL2 - 2012-13: Dec 7 - Jan 19
BBL1 - 2011-12: Dec 16 - Jan 28

Last edited:
I don't think the BBL needs to expand, I think they need to relocate one of the Melbourne Franchises, perhaps to Canberra.
The two Melbourne franchises are the worst in the BBL at the moment, and they aren't that far off in the WBBL either.
Obviously Victorian cricket don't have the talent to support two franchises and they don't have the finances to bring in decent overseas talent.
No thanks. Obviously it’d be different if the Gades were a Geelong team from the start but I just can’t see myself getting behind the Stars if the Gades relocated. MCG is too big for me (although it could easily accomodate the fans of both teams) and i feel like the the spectacle put on at Etihad is far better than what the Stars do.

No thanks. Obviously it’d be different if the Gades were a Geelong team from the start but I just can’t see myself getting behind the Stars if the Gades relocated. MCG is too big for me (although it could easily accomodate the fans of both teams) and i feel like the the spectacle put on at Etihad is far better than what the Stars do.
I actually prefer Docklands over the G and that was one of the few factors that got me towards the Gades when I eventually caved into having a team, although a part of me is waiting for another SEQ team to come in

Quite like that idea, as long as the ninth team isn't the Gold Coast.

I know that the BBL is not as popular as it used to be but that is due to the Expanded format.

The way to fix the BBL would be to add 2 additional teams. This would mean that each team will play each other once with an additional match against their biggest rival.

That way more interest would come for the BBL in a shorter season with more International signings to add for Star power in the BBL.

Gold Coast Team, Queensland
Strong population and no local sports team in the Summer. Great stadium with lights and great facilities. Has hosted 4 T20 games this year so Cricket Australia are testing them. A local Gold Coast team would grab the coast's support with decent crowds for Brisbane and Australian matches despite the poor weather.

1546830469783.png

Venue: Metricon Stadium
Lights: Yes
Scoreboard: Yes
Drop in Pitch: Yes
Stadium Available during Summer?: Yes
Held Elite Cricket Before?: Yes (Including an International T20 and BBL)
Pros
  • No Local sports team in the Summer
  • Strong crowds in the Twenty20 matches this summer
  • Great stadium with great facilities There are lights which will allow night games to be held.
  • Stadium drainage is very good
  • Gold Coast Suns run the stadium and are keen for more cricket to be held at the venue (Even are willing for a Gold Coast Suns BBL franchise)
Cons
  • Poor weather during the summer (although it is similar to the Gabba)
  • Poor public transport to the stadium (although there are plans for a ferry to be from Broadbeach to the venue)
  • Most Gold Coast sporting teams don't perform well (although Cricket might be a different story)
  • Wierd ground orientation (similar to Spotless Stadium)
2nd Perth Team, Western Australia
Perth and Western Australia cricket have performed very well in recent times and the Western Australia public would be able to support a 2nd Perth Side. The only disadvantage is that the Scorchers have already got a huge following in the West and a new team might struggle to win over some fans. If the BBL is wanting to remain in the trend of teams having their own ground, then the team would either have to play at the WACA (Former Scorchers home ground) or a venue like the Fremantle Oval which would require a significant redevelopment to allow bigger crowds for the BBL.

1546831320163.png

Venue: WACA Ground
Drop in Pitch: No
Stadium Available during Summer?: Yes (Used for Sheffield Shield and WBBL)
Held Elite Cricket Before?: Yes (Former home of cricket in Western Australia. Continues to host Tests, WBBL and Women's Internationals)
Pros
  • Western Australia performs well Domestically
  • Western Australian T20 games have big crowds
  • The Perth population can support both teams
  • Adds another Derby to WA and the BBL.
Cons
  • Scorchers already have a strong following
  • WACA Ground is the Scorchers former home ground
  • WACA Ground is beginning to deteriorate
  • Most WA players have played for the Scorchers since their career begun
Canberra Team, Australian Capital Territory
Canberra is a favorite to get a BBL team. They have hosted BBL, WBBL and International Cricket in the past 10 years and hosted matches in the Cricket World Cup in 2015. The Canberra population can support the team and missing out on an A-League team will help Canberra to get a team.

1546831641520.png

Venue: Manuka Oval
Stadium Available during Summer?: Yes (Used for BBL, WNCL, WBBL & Women's Internationals)
Held Elite Cricket Before?: Yes (Former hosted Sheffield Shield, BBL, WBBL, WNCL, Mens and Women's Internationals)
Pros
  • New Cricket Media Centre opened at the start of the Summer
  • Canberra missed out on a A-League licence
  • Canberra supports sport well
  • No ACT Men's team in either BBL or Shield/JLT Cup
Cons
  • Canberra close to Sydney who already have 2 teams
  • Weather is cold
  • Smaller venue compared to others in the BBL
Geelong Team, Victoria
Geelong has hosted International and BBL cricket in the past few years and would be a great option if the BBL wanted to add another team in Victoria. Kardinia Park is a great facility but watching cricket at the stadium in the Gary Ablett Terrence is poor. Geelong could cope with a BBL team.

1546831641520.png

Venue: Kardinia Park
Stadium Available during Summer?: Yes (Not from next season as the Western Melbourne A-League team plays their first few years at the venue)
Held Elite Cricket Before?: Yes (Former hosted BBL, WBBL and an International Twenty20)
Pros
  • No regional BBL Team
  • Strong support for Geelong sports teams
  • Large capacity Stadium
  • Public Transport is near the stadium connecting the venue to Melbourne
Cons
  • Poor Crowds for Twenty20 matches
  • Poor venue to watch Cricket
  • Western Melbourne A-League team to play at the venue
  • Victoria already has 2 teams
  • Small Stadium
Other Expansion Locations:

Newcastle - Has a decent population but has not hosted a BBL match. No appropriate venue for BBL cricket. New South Wales already has 2 teams which would also be a reason for Newcastle to not get a BBL franchise.

North Queensland- Townsville and Cairns have hosted domestic and international cricket in the past 5 years with Cazaly's Stadium hosting WBBL matches this year. Riverway Stadium also hosted JLT Cup and Shield matches however the weather is a reason for the BBL choosing to expand elsewhere.

Northern Territory - TIO Stadium has hosted International cricket and Trager Park has hosted BBL and WBBL cricket but the state is too small to have its own team. The weather in Darwin is another reason why the NT will never get a BBL team. They also don't have a state team in either the mens or the womens.

2nd Brisbane Team - Brisbane could follow what has been done with Sydney and Melbourne in adding an additional team in Brisbane considering the Heat have strong crowds however there is no other venue in Brisbane that could host a big BBL crowd. Allan Border Field is too small to host BBL matches and the Gold Coast is more likely to win the race as Queensland's newest BBL team.

2nd Adelaide Team - Similar to Brisbane, Adelaide would be unlikely to get another team as there is no suitable venue to host an additional team. Adelaide has not performed exceptionally well in the BBL although they are the reigning premiers. Other locations are ahead before Adelaide is given a 2nd team.

Launceston - Launceston is Tasmania's hope to get a second team playing out of UTAS Stadium however the Hurricanes promote themselves as Tasmania's team and play out of both Hobart and Launceston so I cannot see Tasmania getting another team.

New Zealand - Melbourne Stars coach Steven Flemming and Heat Coach Daniel Vettori have proposed that New Zealand get their own BBL team as the support for the BBL is huge over the ditch. Melbourne Stars captain Glenn Maxwell has also proposed an overseas match for the BBL featuring the Stars in the future. Sure, New Zealand will be behind the eight ball to get a BBL franchise but would love and support a team if it came their way.

There's already a thread for this, in like the top 5 threads on this board. Gough maybe a merge is in order?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lose the Renegades, lose the Thunder.

6 team comp.

10 matches and everyone plays everyone home and away.

Simple :)

Solves the lack of talent and poor standard of cricket problem

Gets rid of two poor pitches that degrade the spectactle

Shortens the season to something manageable

Last edited:

6 team comp.

if that's the case, we should have just stuck with the original state based comp. They won't backflip.

If any team should go it’s the Melbourne Stars so we can say goodbye to the MCG - now that’s a poor pitch

If any team should go it’s the Melbourne Stars so we can say goodbye to the MCG - now that’s a poor pitch
In what world are they not going to play 5+ games of the BBL at the biggest stadium they have?

I am quite offended by that. As a paying Stars foundation member, I think that the stars are pivotal for the future of the BBL. If we were to go, the BBL would suffer dramatically. Also, it must be noted that the MCG is the home of cricket in the country and the biggest venue. We need the MCG in the Big Bash.

First of all, we do not need to lose the Renegades. Second, as iconic as the MCG is, it’s not crucial to the success of the BBL, but with two Melbourne teams obviously one team will play there. And lastly, long gone are the days where I care to watch limited overs cricket at the MCG. TV, for sure, live, no thanks.

Last edited:
I know that the BBL is not as popular as it used to be but that is due to the Expanded format.

The way to fix the BBL would be to add 2 additional teams. This would mean that each team will play each other once with an additional match against their biggest rival.

That way more interest would come for the BBL in a shorter season with more International signings to add for Star power in the BBL.

Gold Coast Team, Queensland
Strong population and no local sports team in the Summer. Great stadium with lights and great facilities. Has hosted 4 T20 games this year so Cricket Australia are testing them. A local Gold Coast team would grab the coast's support with decent crowds for Brisbane and Australian matches despite the poor weather.

View attachment 602170

Venue: Metricon Stadium
Stadium Available during Summer?: Yes
Held Elite Cricket Before?: Yes (Including an International T20 and BBL)
Pros
  • No Local sports team in the Summer
  • Strong crowds in the Twenty20 matches this summer
  • Great stadium with great facilities There are lights which will allow night games to be held.
  • Stadium drainage is very good
  • Gold Coast Suns run the stadium and are keen for more cricket to be held at the venue (Even are willing for a Gold Coast Suns BBL franchise)
Cons
  • Poor weather during the summer (although it is similar to the Gabba)
  • Poor public transport to the stadium (although there are plans for a ferry to be from Broadbeach to the venue)
  • Most Gold Coast sporting teams don't perform well (although Cricket might be a different story)
  • Wierd ground orientation (similar to Spotless Stadium)
2nd Perth Team, Western Australia
Perth and Western Australia cricket have performed very well in recent times and the Western Australia public would be able to support a 2nd Perth Side. The only disadvantage is that the Scorchers have already got a huge following in the West and a new team might struggle to win over some fans. If the BBL is wanting to remain in the trend of teams having their own ground, then the team would either have to play at the WACA (Former Scorchers home ground) or a venue like the Fremantle Oval which would require a significant redevelopment to allow bigger crowds for the BBL.

View attachment 602183

Venue: WACA Ground
Drop in Pitch: No
Stadium Available during Summer?: Yes (Used for Sheffield Shield and WBBL)
Held Elite Cricket Before?: Yes (Former home of cricket in Western Australia. Continues to host Tests, WBBL and Women's Internationals)
Pros
  • Western Australia performs well Domestically
  • Western Australian T20 games have big crowds
  • The Perth population can support both teams
  • Adds another Derby to WA and the BBL.
Cons
  • Scorchers already have a strong following
  • WACA Ground is the Scorchers former home ground
  • WACA Ground is beginning to deteriorate
  • Most WA players have played for the Scorchers since their career begun
Canberra Team, Australian Capital Territory
Canberra is a favorite to get a BBL team. They have hosted BBL, WBBL and International Cricket in the past 10 years and hosted matches in the Cricket World Cup in 2015. The Canberra population can support the team and missing out on an A-League team will help Canberra to get a team.

View attachment 602189

Venue: Manuka Oval
Stadium Available during Summer?: Yes (Used for BBL, WNCL, WBBL & Women's Internationals)
Held Elite Cricket Before?: Yes (Former hosted Sheffield Shield, BBL, WBBL, WNCL, Mens and Women's Internationals)
Pros
  • New Cricket Media Centre opened at the start of the Summer
  • Canberra missed out on a A-League licence
  • Canberra supports sport well
  • No ACT Men's team in either BBL or Shield/JLT Cup
Cons
  • Canberra close to Sydney who already have 2 teams
  • Weather is cold
  • Smaller venue compared to others in the BBL
Geelong Team, Victoria
Geelong has hosted International and BBL cricket in the past few years and would be a great option if the BBL wanted to add another team in Victoria. Kardinia Park is a great facility but watching cricket at the stadium in the Gary Ablett Terrence is poor. Geelong could cope with a BBL team.

View attachment 602189

Venue: Kardinia Park
Stadium Available during Summer?: Yes (Not from next season as the Western Melbourne A-League team plays their first few years at the venue)
Held Elite Cricket Before?: Yes (Former hosted BBL, WBBL and an International Twenty20)
Pros
  • No regional BBL Team
  • Strong support for Geelong sports teams
  • Large capacity Stadium
  • Public Transport is near the stadium connecting the venue to Melbourne
Cons
  • Poor Crowds for Twenty20 matches
  • Poor venue to watch Cricket
  • Western Melbourne A-League team to play at the venue
  • Victoria already has 2 teams
  • Small Stadium
Other Expansion Locations:

Newcastle - Has a decent population but has not hosted a BBL match. No appropriate venue for BBL cricket. New South Wales already has 2 teams which would also be a reason for Newcastle to not get a BBL franchise.

North Queensland- Townsville and Cairns have hosted domestic and international cricket in the past 5 years with Cazaly's Stadium hosting WBBL matches this year. Riverway Stadium also hosted JLT Cup and Shield matches however the weather is a reason for the BBL choosing to expand elsewhere.

Northern Territory - TIO Stadium has hosted International cricket and Trager Park has hosted BBL and WBBL cricket but the state is too small to have its own team. The weather in Darwin is another reason why the NT will never get a BBL team. They also don't have a state team in either the mens or the womens.

2nd Brisbane Team - Brisbane could follow what has been done with Sydney and Melbourne in adding an additional team in Brisbane considering the Heat have strong crowds however there is no other venue in Brisbane that could host a big BBL crowd. Allan Border Field is too small to host BBL matches and the Gold Coast is more likely to win the race as Queensland's newest BBL team.

2nd Adelaide Team - Similar to Brisbane, Adelaide would be unlikely to get another team as there is no suitable venue to host an additional team. Adelaide has not performed exceptionally well in the BBL although they are the reigning premiers. Other locations are ahead before Adelaide is given a 2nd team.

Launceston - Launceston is Tasmania's hope to get a second team playing out of UTAS Stadium however the Hurricanes promote themselves as Tasmania's team and play out of both Hobart and Launceston so I cannot see Tasmania getting another team.

New Zealand - Melbourne Stars coach Steven Flemming and Heat Coach Daniel Vettori have proposed that New Zealand get their own BBL team as the support for the BBL is huge over the ditch. Melbourne Stars captain Glenn Maxwell has also proposed an overseas match for the BBL featuring the Stars in the future. Sure, New Zealand will be behind the eight ball to get a BBL franchise but would love and support a team if it came their way.
As a Brisbane boy who could not get behind the Heat, a Brisbane II would be my biggest wish but I'm realistic enough to know that won't happen. I'm a Gades fan for now but really (out of the realistic options) waiting for a GC team to come in. The next expansion team(s) will either be GC, Geelong and/or Canberra

6 team comp.

I wish CA would have just kept the state sides in the first place but I've come to terms that that will not happen.

If we're talking about getting rid of teams, let's ditch both Sydney teams. The weather there is dogshit. And the city closes at 8pm, so you can't even drown your sorrows after a washout.

First of all, we do not need to lose the Renegades. Second, as iconic as the MCG is, it’s not crucial to the success of the BBL, but with two Melbourne teams obviously one team will play there. And lastly, long gone are the days where I care to watch limited overs cricket at the MCG. TV, for sure, live, no thanks.
Essendon fans are the only fans in the AFL that can stand Docklands so maybe that is impacting your view?

Docklands is more expensive, with a worse viewing experience and harder to get to.

Essendon fans are the only fans in the AFL that can stand Docklands so maybe that is impacting your view?

Docklands is more expensive, with a worse viewing experience and harder to get to.
I actually prefer Docklands over the G, part of the reason why I decided to become a Gade

It's also cheaper if you know the trick there to sneak in with a kids ticket as well

Back