Big Bodied Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd take Ablett as well, but I'd consider him to be the exception to the rule. If you're on the short side you'll have to be exceptionally good to be getting midfield games, going forward, whereas those that have that size advantage will be able to get games without needing to be as good, I would suggest, as in other areas of the ground, especially the key positions and ruck.

I don't think so, it's just an over emphasis on the importance of size and people getting carried with it. It's still football and size is only one attribute, and it's certainly not the most important one. As I said, assuming all other things are equal you would take the bigger player, but that will never be the case. In terms of 'attributes' club will target or give preference to, I'd suggest running ability has already/will go past size.

I don't think so, it's just an over emphasis on the importance of size and people getting carried with it. It's still football and size is only one attribute, and it's certainly not the most important one. As I said, assuming all other things are equal you would take the bigger player, but that will never be the case. In terms of 'attributes' club will target or give preference to, I'd suggest running ability has already/will go past size.
The population is still getting taller though and teams are getting taller and taller every year across the board, so I don't see why midfields won't also get taller.

Of the top 20 clearance winners last yearno particular order.

Big Bodied (in this instance 'tall')
Pendles
Mundy
Kennedy
Fyfe
O'Keefe
Barlow
Griffin
Dangerfield

Regular
Liberatore
Ablett
Swan
Boak
Priddis
Cunnington
Jones
Selwood
Cotchin
Stevens
Thompson
Jack

So I'd say its more about core body strength looking at that rather than 190+ midfielders. If anything going by that I would say the most common height is around the 185 mark. This seems to be the a good balance I think between height and centre of gravity which allows the ability to bullock through packs whilst also being quite nimble.

Pendles
Mundy
Kennedy
Fyfe
O'Keefe
Barlow
Griffin
Dangerfield

Regular
Liberatore
Ablett
Swan
Boak
Priddis
Cunnington
Jones
Selwood
Cotchin
Stevens
Thompson
Jack

So I'd say its more about core body strength looking at that rather than 190+ midfielders. If anything going by that I would say the most common height is around the 185 mark. This seems to be the a good balance I think between height and centre of gravity which allows the ability to bullock through packs whilst also being quite nimble.
When you consider how well and truly outnumbered the "tall big-bodied mids" (188cm+) are compared to their shorter brethren on AFL lists, it is probably telling that they still were only 2 short of making up half of that top 20. They are probably outnumbered 4 or even 5 to 1 on AFL lists I would think.

Pendles
Mundy
Kennedy
Fyfe
O'Keefe
Barlow
Griffin
Dangerfield

Regular
Liberatore
Ablett
Swan
Boak
Priddis
Cunnington
Jones
Selwood
Cotchin
Stevens
Thompson
Jack

The ones I've bolded are actually bullocking mids as opposed to simply being tall mids.

Matt Crouch was pick 23. It's not just bigfooty posters keen on big mids
Exactly and the year before Nathan Hrovat lasted to 21 and this year Lewis Taylor lasted to the late 20's! Patrick Cripps also the opposite example of this. Doubt immensely that he would have been picked as high as 13 had it not been for how big he is, ditto Bontempelli at 4.

The population is still getting taller though and teams are getting taller and taller every year across the board, so I don't see why midfields won't also get taller.

They will, I took it we were discussing relative to the opposition not generations gone by. Anyway, size is great, aerobic ability will be more important going forward.

Dangerfield is listed at 185cm & 91kg

Looks bigger, some sights have him at 189cm & 92kg, either way, once they get to 6ft'1, tough match-up's for the opposition.

Fyfe used to be listed at 186 I am pretty sure... I think a few clubs are just lazy and that was their draft camp height. But as Danger was a bottom aged player I would say he definitely grew an inch or two since then and would be at the 190 mark. Fyfe definitely grew a good few inches after the draft camp and this has been stated in many interviews with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield is listed at 185cm & 91kg

Looks bigger, some sights have him at 189cm & 92kg, either way, once they get to 6ft'1, tough match-up's for the opposition.

Good point, I think for us Cunnington is very similar, little bit lighter, same height but plays a lot bigger than he is.

It's seen as impressive to be able to lay a tackle on Cunnington during training drills at the club as he's able to break and prevent tackles so well.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I would have thought with the interchange cap coming in (and likely to reduce by 20 rotations every couple of years) that endurance midfielders would be more of a trend than taller players.

In my world 'big bodied' isnt 'tall'.

A Karmichael Hunt type, who relies on strength and the ability to shepherd players off the ball to create space, is different from a lanky tall target, even though they might weigh the same number of kilos.

With the emphasis on protecting the head, a short player who doesnt need to duck to draw high contact may also be useful.

With the emphasis on protecting the head, a short player who doesnt need to duck to draw high contact may also be useful.

Yet funnily enough all the notorious duckers are shorties anyway.

Good point, I think for us Cunnington is very similar, little bit lighter, same height but plays a lot bigger than he is.

It's seen as impressive to be able to lay a tackle on Cunnington during training drills at the club as he's able to break and prevent tackles so well.

Cunnington can't run though so in a real game he'd always get caught. Which he does, I can't think of any midfielders who get caught with the ball as often as him.

Cunnington can't run though so in a real game he'd always get caught. Which he does, I can't think of any midfielders who get caught with the ball as often as him.
You obviously watch no North Melbourne games then, where Cunningtons major strength is evading tackles to release by hand. Not sure if serious.....

You obviously watch no North Melbourne games then, where Cunningtons major strength is evading tackles to release by hand. Not sure if serious.....

He'll do that once or twice and you gloss over just how many times he gets caught htb. Easton Wood goes on one or two superb runs out of defence, doesn't mean nobody notices him try to do it the rest of the time and get found out.

He'll do that once or twice and you gloss over just how many times he gets caught htb. Easton Wood goes on one or two superb runs out of defence, doesn't mean nobody notices him try to do it the rest of the time and get found out.
never mention Cunnington and Wood in the same sentence again please. 1 is a goal kicking mid in the top few in clearances per game in the league and the other is a back flanker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back