Big Brother is coming to the footy

You think it's possible to manually track 80k people at the MCG?
No and I never said it was. Security do conduct cctv scans of the crowd for known trouble makers though.

With facial recognition software you can instantly track all 80k and instantly be made aware if any banned people, serious criminals, or racists have come in and monitor them easily.
Why not isolate facial recognition to the people targeted? It could then be controlled by the Court system much like finger prints and DNA.

Put simply they want to cast a broad net and invade the privacy of citizens to grab even more of the corporate dollar.

That is terrific for Families at the Footy and completely impossible to do manually.
How is being tracked as you walk around the ground terrific?

If you don't want the ads then don't download the app, it's pretty simple.
Digital ticketing without the app good luck getting into the ground.

Adds are a minor annoyance; the main issue is wanting to maintain my privacy. I’m a silent voter and opted out of the digital health record for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Put simply they want to cast a broad net and invade the privacy of citizens to grab even more of the corporate dollar.

Data will then be on-sold at which point noone really knows how it will be used in the future.

Personally, I think that it is naive to assume that this further use will never be any more than marketing.

I’d be really interested in the age demographic of those for and against the views of the OP! What’s most astonishing is that a mod on this site is in support. I mean in terms of advertising BigFooty is easily the worst of any site I use.
He’s still allowed an opinion. What confuses me is why anybody would want facial recognition.

I’d be really interested in the age demographic of those for and against the views of the OP
I agree, but I suspect for the opposite reason. Personally, I think that far too many youth, only see the convenience and tick " I agree" without any understanding of what they are agreeing to and without any comprehension that the information and personal expression that they are agreeing to share may have a negative use in the future.

I see on the AFL website the spruiking of new technology in ticketing to spy on fans and swamp them with advertising. ( Sorry "personalize their experience"). As usual we will accept this increment to the surveillance state with our customary docility, just as we have been intimidated into the other losses of freedom in the name of security. I was surprised there was only the word security in the blurb, and no mention of terrorists or youths of African appearance.

This has been in the works for a little time. Giants organised an information session about it last year ...

https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Sydney-Sports-Analytics-Meetup/events/254912423/

... but I didn’t go (I was interested from a technology POV)

I had got the impression at the time that it was a Giants thing, but on reflection it’s probably an AFL thing and the Giants are probably the easiest club to trial these things at (small club, new club with fewer traditions and not as many members who are against change)

You think it's possible to manually track 80k people at the MCG?

With facial recognition software you can instantly track all 80k and instantly be made aware if any banned people, serious criminals, or racists have come in and monitor them easily. That is terrific for Families at the Footy and completely impossible to do manually.

If you don't want the ads then don't download the app, it's pretty simple.

This is what facial technology can lead to ...

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10200278

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
This has been in the works for a little time. Giants organised an information session about it last year ...

https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Sydney-Sports-Analytics-Meetup/events/254912423/

... but I didn’t go (I was interested from a technology POV)

I had got the impression at the time that it was a Giants thing, but on reflection it’s probably an AFL thing and the Giants are probably the easiest club to trial these things at (small club, new club with fewer traditions and not as many members who are against change)
It’s easy to face recognition Giants supporters.

Everyone knows what Gil and Hocking look like.

The OP has taken an extreme tangent with it, but it probably depends on your willingness to accept new technologies. IMO, it’s long overdue and is a simple way to minimise scalping.

It’s easy to acuse the civil libertarians of wearing tin foil hats ...

... but when Zuckerberg gets hauled up in front of the US Senate to explain how a harmless social media platform that folks use to keep up to date with what their friends are doing - can somehow be manipulated to affect a general election result and change the course of nation states ...

... and people then get a flash of realization that years of broadcasting to the world cat videos and pics of their dinner does actually have serious consequences.

I’d be really interested in the age demographic of those for and against the views of the OP!

It wouldn’t reveal too much we don’t already know.

Young people are always more accepting of new technology and the opportunities it brings. Older people are always more protective of the fabric of society.

Gretel Killeen used to host a show called Big Brother and her catch phrase when booting a house mate was “it’s time to go...”

When George Orwell was penning 1984, I wonder if he was able to foresee that his term ‘Big Brother’ would get co-opted by a friendly and attractive woman hosting a prime time TV gameshow for the entertainment of the masses? :think:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
When George Orwell was penning 1984, I wonder if he was able to foresee that his term ‘Big Brother’ would get co-opted by a friendly and attractive woman hosting a prime time TV gameshow for the entertainment of the masses? :think:
He thought of a show called 1984 instead ;)

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
He’s still allowed an opinion. What confuses me is why anybody would want facial recognition.

I don’t see where I denied GC that right? I only highlighted that there’s a conflict there. It’s not like an anti jumps activist working at RV or similar, but it’s NQR to me. TBH I’m most surprised I haven’t been accused of picking a fight on the basis of that comment!

I agree, but I suspect for the opposite reason. Personally, I think that far too many youth, only see the convenience and tick " I agree" without any understanding of what they are agreeing to and without any comprehension that the information and personal expression that they are agreeing to share may have a negative use in the future.

I suspect that may be the case, but it’s hard to deny that this is progress, IMO. Ask any kid under 10 what the call icon on a smart phone is and I bet they can’t answer it. In ten years time people will scratch their headsover why we took so long to remove pointless hard copy tickets.

Given all the potential positive impacts of that initiative if the trade off is a bit of a surge in adware, which is rife anyway, it’s worth the sacrifice, IMO.

It wouldn’t reveal too much we don’t already know.

Young people are always more accepting of new technology and the opportunities it brings. Older people are always more protective of the fabric of society.

Long bow to draw in the context of this discussion!

I’m also not so sure about the absoluteness of your post because I’d hope it would reveal information on how far society is from making the shift in its thinking about technology. Data of any description can be valuable in 2019, IMO, look no further than google ads.

I think we’re under one generation away personally from technological advances being fully embraced, but if many baby boomers were on board the results could surprise. On the flip side I feel gender/ sexual/ racial opinions are probably further away and some of those topics are particularly divisive on this site, but it’s only an anecdotal opinion based on discussions amongst peers and what I read.

Last edited:
I suspect that may be the case, but it’s hard to deny that this is progress, IMO. Ask any kid under 10 what the call icon on a smart phone is and I bet they can’t answer it. In ten years time people will scratch their headsover why we took so long to remove pointless hard copy tickets.

Given all the potential positive impacts of that initiative if the trade off is a bit of a surge in adware, which is rife anyway, it’s worth the sacrifice, IMO.

It is progress, but progress isn't always a good thing. In their time, the nazis were very progressive and they like all fascist regimes that have gone before and will probably come again in the future, would have loved this technology to be rolled out in order to help monitor and control people. Foreign powers and dodgy businesses would also love access to these systems in order to manipulate big issues in our country.

If a bit of extra advertising was the only possible negative, I'd be ok with it, but I think the potential negatives are far more extreme.

I don’t see where I denied GC that right? I only highlighted that there’s a conflict there. It’s not like an anti jumps activist working at RV or similar, but it’s NQR to me. TBH I’m most surprised I haven’t been accused of picking a fight on the basis of that comment!

Long bow to draw in the context of this discussion!

I’m also not so sure about the absoluteness of your post because I’d hope it would reveal information on how far society is from making the shift in its thinking about technology. Data of any description can be valuable in 2019, IMO, look no further than google ads.

I think we’re under one generation away personally from technological advances being fully embraced, but if many baby boomers were on board the results could surprise. On the flip side I feel gender/ sexual/ racial opinions are probably further away and some of those topics are particularly divisive on this site, but it’s only an anecdotal opinion based on discussions amongst peers and what I read.
I doubt GC has any input on the advertising arrangements, no conflict from where I’m sitting, just a cheap shot from you with no basis.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Safety is more important than privacy, without a doubt.

No one really cares that you went to the Footy 3 times a year at the MCG and bought Red Rooster 2 times.

No one really cares that you went to the Footy 3 times a year at the MCG and bought Red Rooster 2 times.

Red Rooster cares.

Safety is more important than privacy, without a doubt.

Would you really prefer to live in a society like this ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09...el-citizen-in-a-digital-dictatorship/10200278

Or in George Orwell’s 1984?

It’s very easy to take it for granted that we live in a free society until we don’t have it any more.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Red Rooster cares.

Would you really prefer to live in a society like this ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09...el-citizen-in-a-digital-dictatorship/10200278

Or in George Orwell’s 1984?

It’s very easy to take it for granted that we live in a free society until we don’t have it any more.

The old "slippery slope" argument is such nonsense.

That article is also very miss leading, every day people will not be affected by any "ratings", it's more for the very best and very worse citizens to be rewarded / punished.

More public cameras will have a big impact in reducing crime and making us all a little safer.

It’s not red rooster I care about once privacy is lost there’s no telling where the info will end up especially if it’s in the unregulated hands of a corporation.

More public cameras will have a big impact in reducing crime and making us all a little safer.
Nonsense high and low profile crimes are committed in front of cameras everyday. For an extreme example just look at Bourke St and the 100s of cameras captured that.

Like bag searches and wand scans they simply create the illusion of safety.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nonsense high and low profile crimes are committed in front of cameras everyday. For an extreme example just look at Bourke St and the 100s of cameras captured that.

Like bag searches and wand scans they simply create the illusion of safety.

Yes and with cameras a lot more of those criminals are caught and put behind bars. Also just because some crimes are committed doesn't mean it isn't deterring more from happening, nonsense logic.

Yes and with cameras a lot more of those criminals are caught and put behind bars. Also just because some crimes are committed doesn't mean it isn't deterring more from happening, nonsense logic.
You obviously haven’t worked in the industry or known someone who has. At best cameras shift crime to a softer target, often though they’re no deterrent.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You obviously haven’t worked in the industry or known someone who has. At best cameras shift crime to a softer target, often though they’re no deterrent.

I'd love to see the evidence that suggests camera's don't reduce crime and increase criminal convictions.

I'd love to see the evidence that suggests camera's don't reduce crime and increase criminal convictions.
As an example if someone wants money for drugs they'll find a means whether it's via breaking into the house with cameras or instead the one a few houses down that doesn't.

Also how does facial recognition differ from fingerprints and DNA? By your logic they would also be deterrent yet there's no mass data collection from the public. Instead only those convicted of a certain offences have this info recorded.

Anyway what's this got to do with a thought bubble around a broad reaching privacy breach via non-targeted facial recognition just to see a game of footy and funnel a few more dollars into the corporate pocket? Cameras are one thing and already in place in a lot of public areas, but it's completely different to individually tracking all citizens or in this case attendees under the guise of increasing advertising revenue. After all thankfully we don't live in China.

Last edited:
Back