Big Brother is watching........

Remove this Banner Ad

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mods not sure if it deserves its own thread so move or delete if you like.
Just read this article and found it interesting.

I wonder if this applies to anyone on bigfooty? :cool:

AFL News
Jon Ralph examines whether ‘burner’ social media accounts exist in AFL circles
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
May 31, 2018 9:39pm
Subscriber only
  • Philadelphia 76ers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo is accused of operating five phantom Twitter accounts openly critical of his team.

The 76ers have launched an official investigation, he has denied it, some are blaming his wife, and entire NBA world is losing its mind.

Why would a senior basketball official openly criticise his star players, reveal sensitive team information and basically press self destruct on his own career?

In AFL circles, the only question people are asking is this: could it ever happen here?

The list of players to hamper their careers or reputations through social media is far from brief: Blaine Boekhorst, Tyrone Leonardis, Josh Bootsma and Jake Carlisle to name a few.

The five “burner” accounts were openly supportive of Colangelo, just as NBA star Kevin Durant was caught out tweeting from a fake account hitting out at his critics.

f93f688cae3732fb9dd510881fa1f3aa

Josh Bootsma had his trouble with social media.
    The greatest mystery of the Colangelo affair is why he would be so critical of his own team.

Yet social media experts who have closely tracked Twitter’s explosion in AFL football believe phantom accounts are commonplace in the world of AFL.

Almost every AFL player has an Instagram account, about 75 per cent also have a Twitter account.

Officials and coaches who do not want to be identified can easily sign up to a player profile with a fake name and no photo, free to follow anyone they want on twitter.

One anonymous expert with intimate knowledge of the social media landscape says rumours have flown about for years in the AFL.

“In terms of recruitment a lot of list managers have paraded with anonymous accounts tracking player behaviour,’’ he said.

“They want to see what they are doing, what their personality is, who they connect with and what they say.

“From a club perspective I heard at one point one senior coach had an account and was checking up on players.

“No one could definitively say it was him, but the players were talking about it and didn’t know if it was him.”

Oakleigh Chargers talent manager Craig Notman said yesterday one of the first warnings players were given was about not filling up their social media profiles with the kind of junk that could end careers before they started.
  • Former Adelaide and Carlton chief executive Steven Trigg was signed up to a twitter profile by his communications team in 2011.

• “I reckon we promptly dropped a handful of games and I was just copping it from everywhere,” he said yesterday.

“I said to the guys, I am not sure I need a Twitter account, it is just distracting me with these people questioning my heritage.

“But I kept it open and I find it a really useful instant source of info, with news feeds and footy feeds. I keep an eye on players, but haven’t tweeted anything since 2011.”

The senior coaches and executives who watch on anonymously do no damage but many players have caused self-inflicted wounds.

Boekhorst was openly critical of Mick Malthouse then drafted to Carlton; Sydney’s Tyrone Leonardis “liked” Facebook pages critical of Adam Goodes then was drafted by Sydney.

In the AFL Nathan Buckley (53,500 followers) has plenty of fun on Twitter, mellowing lately after sparring for years with journos.

02a67a418dff2f81a8886ff22f62c55d

Nathan Buckley has previously been active on social media. Picture: Getty Images
    Presidents Andrew Pridham (3284 followers), Jeff Kennett (28,500 followers) and David Koch (165,000 followers) are also good value, Kochy often in Twitter blues with punters.

CEOs Brendon Gale, Matt Finnis and Xavier Campbell also have strong presences, the Bombers CEO tripped up last year by an “emotional” tweet.

He apologised to players after his line — “Not good enough. Not even close” — came after a shock loss to Brisbane.

Want to avoid controversy on Twitter? Be like Jake Lever, who has deleted his accounts.

Or even better, don’t start them, as North Melbourne’s Scott Thompson told the Herald Sun this week.

“Social media? I don’t even really know what it is. I am not too big into that, I just enjoy my time at home with the kids.”

Mods not sure if it deserves its own thread so move or delete if you like.
Just read this article and found it interesting.

I wonder if this applies to anyone on bigfooty? :cool:

AFL News
Jon Ralph examines whether ‘burner’ social media accounts exist in AFL circles
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
May 31, 2018 9:39pm
Subscriber only
  • Philadelphia 76ers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo is accused of operating five phantom Twitter accounts openly critical of his team.

The 76ers have launched an official investigation, he has denied it, some are blaming his wife, and entire NBA world is losing its mind.

Why would a senior basketball official openly criticise his star players, reveal sensitive team information and basically press self destruct on his own career?

In AFL circles, the only question people are asking is this: could it ever happen here?

The list of players to hamper their careers or reputations through social media is far from brief: Blaine Boekhorst, Tyrone Leonardis, Josh Bootsma and Jake Carlisle to name a few.

The five “burner” accounts were openly supportive of Colangelo, just as NBA star Kevin Durant was caught out tweeting from a fake account hitting out at his critics.

f93f688cae3732fb9dd510881fa1f3aa

Josh Bootsma had his trouble with social media.
    The greatest mystery of the Colangelo affair is why he would be so critical of his own team.

Yet social media experts who have closely tracked Twitter’s explosion in AFL football believe phantom accounts are commonplace in the world of AFL.

Almost every AFL player has an Instagram account, about 75 per cent also have a Twitter account.

Officials and coaches who do not want to be identified can easily sign up to a player profile with a fake name and no photo, free to follow anyone they want on twitter.

One anonymous expert with intimate knowledge of the social media landscape says rumours have flown about for years in the AFL.

“In terms of recruitment a lot of list managers have paraded with anonymous accounts tracking player behaviour,’’ he said.

“They want to see what they are doing, what their personality is, who they connect with and what they say.

“From a club perspective I heard at one point one senior coach had an account and was checking up on players.

“No one could definitively say it was him, but the players were talking about it and didn’t know if it was him.”

Oakleigh Chargers talent manager Craig Notman said yesterday one of the first warnings players were given was about not filling up their social media profiles with the kind of junk that could end careers before they started.
  • Former Adelaide and Carlton chief executive Steven Trigg was signed up to a twitter profile by his communications team in 2011.

• “I reckon we promptly dropped a handful of games and I was just copping it from everywhere,” he said yesterday.

“I said to the guys, I am not sure I need a Twitter account, it is just distracting me with these people questioning my heritage.

“But I kept it open and I find it a really useful instant source of info, with news feeds and footy feeds. I keep an eye on players, but haven’t tweeted anything since 2011.”

The senior coaches and executives who watch on anonymously do no damage but many players have caused self-inflicted wounds.

Boekhorst was openly critical of Mick Malthouse then drafted to Carlton; Sydney’s Tyrone Leonardis “liked” Facebook pages critical of Adam Goodes then was drafted by Sydney.

In the AFL Nathan Buckley (53,500 followers) has plenty of fun on Twitter, mellowing lately after sparring for years with journos.

02a67a418dff2f81a8886ff22f62c55d

Nathan Buckley has previously been active on social media. Picture: Getty Images
    Presidents Andrew Pridham (3284 followers), Jeff Kennett (28,500 followers) and David Koch (165,000 followers) are also good value, Kochy often in Twitter blues with punters.

CEOs Brendon Gale, Matt Finnis and Xavier Campbell also have strong presences, the Bombers CEO tripped up last year by an “emotional” tweet.

He apologised to players after his line — “Not good enough. Not even close” — came after a shock loss to Brisbane.

Want to avoid controversy on Twitter? Be like Jake Lever, who has deleted his accounts.

Or even better, don’t start them, as North Melbourne’s Scott Thompson told the Herald Sun this week.

“Social media? I don’t even really know what it is. I am not too big into that, I just enjoy my time at home with the kids.”

This article is well worth a read on how Colangelo was outed!

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/...-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz

It’s a given that this type of stuff takes place. You would be incredibly naive to think otherwise.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/...-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz

It’s a given that this type of stuff takes place. You would be incredibly naive to think otherwise.

I believe Buckley used to have an account on Nick’s in his playing days? Wouldn’t surprise me if Eddie had one. I’m sure a lot browse here after a win or a bad loss, it’d be pretty tempting to see what other people are saying I’d imagine.

I believe Buckley used to have an account on Nick’s in his playing days? Wouldn’t surprise me if Eddie had one. I’m sure a lot browse here after a win or a bad loss, it’d be pretty tempting to see what other people are saying I’d imagine.

Eddie had one on Nick's also if I am not mistaken.

It would be mighty tempting I imagine and to be perfectly honest in some quarters it makes complete sense because you get instant feedback from your most hardcore supporters.

The key difference for me is that Colangelo’s was next level with concentrated fake accounts to a) defend himself b) leak inside info and c) air dirty laundry. All of this on a platform with hundreds of millions of users. How he was caught adds yet another layer! There’s no way he’d have guessed that someone would use open source data analytics to find patterns between the accounts.

It truly amazes me that a person of that level intelligence could rise to such a position...

Just read it thanks for sharing.

Although I have no idea about the players named (besides Simmons) it was very interesting how powerful social media has become.

The last paragraph is very poignant I thought.

"This kind of situation would have been unthinkable 15 years ago. But as we see repeatedly, in cases of social media faux pas and fiascos, the internet affords a certain level of anonymity, but can also be the tool that undoes that very sense of privacy. These accounts could exist only in the fog of 2018, when the line between personal and public, private and anonymous, authentic and unreal is vanishingly thin."

I found this quote while I had my Colombo hat on the other day researching my new idol Gaben ;) I think it is very true and relevant to this topic.

dont-ever-ever-try-to-lie-to-the-internet-quote-1.jpg

There’s no way he’d have guessed that someone would use open source data analytics to find patterns between the accounts...

F*ck it!! Might as well come clean then.

I'm Cameron Cloke.

I spend most my time trolling Setanta O’hAilpin but whenever I'm bored I post here.

It wasn't a secret though. Believe he has posted on both Nick's and EB&W as emcguire.

I think Eugene Arocca was also active back in the day...….like you said it wasn't a secret.

If true I hope Bryan gets sacked. Even if it isn’t true not sure how the players can trust him. Especially Embiid. Why the * would you criticize Embiid. He is the best player on that team. Of course if it was in fact Bryan who did it. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie had one on Nick's also if I am not mistaken.
He did, and he was very open about who he was too. Definitely not an incognito account when your nick is ‘The President’ (iirc).

Edit: beaten by Frank

Sharrod Wellingham had an alias on here. Jack Anthony's old man posted here openly for awhile before he was driven away. We also have Andrew Krakouers cousin also posting openly. I'm aware of a few other posters with club connections. There's sure to be more.

Sharrod Wellingham had an alias on here. Jack Anthony's old man posted here openly for awhile before he was driven away. We also have Andrew Krakouers cousin also posting openly. I'm aware of a few other posters with club connections. There's sure to be more.
I was just looking back at those Wellingham Posts. His account (Dorra) still exists but he doesn't post under it anymore. He certainly raised some eyebrows with posts like this: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...rmegaultrathread.866988/page-12#post-22099263 when nobody knew it was him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back