Big clubs play three times? Money before integrity.

Remove this Banner Ad

"finance is more important than integrity"

Does this goose really think the general public are going to accept that ??
Finance is more important than integrity will go down well with parents who are new to the country and thinking of letting their kids play AF. Soccer, RL and RU have just said thanks for putting some more juniors our way.

Finance is more important than integrity will go down well with parents who are new to the country and thinking of letting their kids play AF. Soccer, RL and RU have just said thanks for putting some more juniors our way.

Not sure what you are driving at, cant see kids playing sport has much to do with the integrity of comps at their higher levels.

Is this the silliest thing ever suggested? Will the AFL therefore take up this idea?

“The biggest AFL clubs should play rival powerhouse clubs three times next home and away season under a radical plan David King argues would maximise industry revenue.”

Rounds with blockbusters don't have a higher overall attendance though do they?

This is all a bit rich coming from a supporter of a team that travels 4 times a year and plays their final 6 games of the 2019 season on not only their home ground but the ground the finals are played on. To seriously think that the Eagles get more home ground advantage than the other teams is ludicrous. It may have been true at Subiaco but Optus Stadium is almost the same dimensions as the MCG. If you are referring to the crowd, then what about the significant crowd advantage that the Melbourne based clubs enjoy in GFs and will continue to enjoy for the next 46 years thanks to the VFL's (oops, AFL's) long term Vic-centric deal with the MCG. Since the inception of the AFL and ground rationalisation, other than the Bulldogs and Geelong, when was the last time a Vic club won a flag away from home. Your final point about the Eagles being more familiar with the away grounds, perhaps that's because we travel more something that the powerful Vic clubs should have to do more of, not just the strugglers like North Melbourne. It was interesting that years ago when NM wanted to play a couple of home games against Eagles and Freo in Perth because they'd make more money than playing in Melbourne, they were prevented from doing so because it offered too great an advantage to the 2 WA based sides.... go figure!

I'm sure those interpretations do really well over in WA.

But you really should try with a few facts next time.

[QUOTE="Chief, post: 64981881, member: ".... under a radical plan David King argues would maximise industry revenue.”
[/QUOTE]

To be honest, it's not really that radical.

Extreme maximization at the expense of the integrity of the competition is already well and truly in place.

This isn't that much of a stretch really.

Putting aside the integrity issue. Can't see how it would increase revenue much. Looked into it one year about small club v small club + big club v big club. Compared to small club v big club + big club v small club. And outside the hyped "blockbusters" (Anzac Day, opening game etc) there is not much difference in aggregate crowd size.

10 games of genuine home ground advantage at the ground with the biggest advantage in the league (except perhaps Geelong, but they don't get as many games)...while your away games are played at grounds you're far more familiar with.
Playing more of the top4 and top8 teams interstate + a travel burden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And your evidence of this?

Just because it's repeated ad nauseaum by WCE supporters, doesn't make it true.
havnt you figured out by now that i work all this s**t out, cut and paste it to a folder on the cloud and have it handy wherever i am for times just like this?

2019 eagles played all of the top four interstate - richmond 1

2018 eagles played 2 out of the other 3 top 4 interstate - richmond 1

2017 eagles played 2 top 4 interstate - richmond - 2

havnt you figured out by now that i work all this s**t out, cut and paste it to a folder on the cloud and have it handy wherever i am for times just like this?

2019 eagles played all of the top four interstate - richmond 1

2018 eagles played 2 out of the other 3 top 4 interstate - richmond 1

2017 eagles played 2 top 4 interstate - richmond - 2

And by top4, is that the top 4 from the previous year when the fixture was worked out, or are the AFL so cunning that they knew who would be top 4 ahead of time and used that knowledge as part of their conspiracy against WA?

Also, I note that you say interstate rather than home/away...How many of the 'not interstate' games involved a genuine home ground advantage?

And by top4, is that the top 4 from the previous year when the fixture was worked out, or are the AFL so cunning that they knew who would be top 4 ahead of time and used that knowledge as part of their conspiracy against WA?

Also, I note that you say interstate rather than home/away...How many of the 'not interstate' games involved a genuine home ground advantage?
Lol - the nature of the fact thatcwe travel more than twice as much as you guarantees we will always llay more top 4/8 teams away
As for the not interstate no hga - what would you rather do - play a top 4 team interstate with an away disadvantage - or play a top 4 team at home with no hga

we all know richmonds answer to that.

(was sooo looking forward to A home AND away game against your mob this year...)

Is this the silliest thing ever suggested? Will the AFL therefore take up this idea?

“The biggest AFL clubs should play rival powerhouse clubs three times next home and away season under a radical plan David King argues would maximise industry revenue.”

Its this sort of sh!t that got us in trouble in the first place....sacrificing the integrity of the game for a buck, has anybody learned anything? Does he know its the TV rights that is where the real money is made, they rely on more than the so-called big clubs playing every other week.

I would change the word radical to ridiculous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back