Rumour Big crowds over – forever – if the AFL succeeds with its plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL,COVID-19,empty stadiums

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
As I was walking home this afternoon after reading the front page of the Herald Sun and discussing with my mother, one interesting point occurred to me.

That is that – if the AFL succeeds in making enough money from its television revenues without crowds to even outweigh the losses caused by absence of gates, would the league continue to play in 2021 and beyond without crowds or with minimal attendances restricted to luxury boxes and the like, even shoudl the COVID-19 pandemic ebb at some point??

Newspapers and blogs have never considered this possibility, and recent evidence of CTE in football players makes me exceedingly suspicious of thoughts it would be ideal for the game – but if people are largely confined to home for the whole of the 2020 season, it is possible TV revenue would gain sufficiently that the AFL would consider permanently playing without crowds or with minimal crowds in luxury suites.

What are your thoughts on this question? Do you think football without crowds will be around much longer than COVID-19?

Newspapers and blogs have never considered this possibility, and recent evidence of CTE in football players makes me exceedingly suspicious of thoughts it would be ideal for the game – but if people are largely confined to home for the whole of the 2020 season, it is possible TV revenue would gain sufficiently that the AFL would consider permanently playing without crowds or with minimal crowds in luxury suites.
Do you have CTE yourself?

Would having no crowds suddenly stop injuries?

This year will only prove not only how important crowds are for revenue and atmosphere but how important going to games are to fans.

Even if the TV ratings are as good or better the connection to our teams won't be the same whilst the crowd ban is enforced.

Would having no crowds suddenly stop injuries?
I have said previously – and still believe or more likely intuit that it would do exactly the reverse – because fine-tuning the sport to meet the requirements of television I imagine most likely to increase injuries. Even shorter quarters would mean more intense play and more injuries in less playing time.

Consider gridiron – the most finely-tuned sport for television – and how it, even with helmets heavier than a motorcycle crash helmet, has had far more concern about concussion and brain damage than football. If the AFL were as finely-tuned for television it would feature more and more aerial contact on harder and harder playing surfaces, and with shorter playing times players will be able to put more energy into each play as they do in gridiron.

As I was walking home this afternoon after reading the front page of the Herald Sun and discussing with my mother, one interesting point occurred to me.

That is that – if the AFL succeeds in making enough money from its television revenues without crowds to even outweigh the losses caused by absence of gates, would the league continue to play in 2021 and beyond without crowds or with minimal attendances restricted to luxury boxes and the like, even shoudl the COVID-19 pandemic ebb at some point??

What are your thoughts on this question? Do you think football without crowds will be around much longer than COVID-19?

Stop reading Herald Sun

Where were you walking home from, and what was on the front page of the Herand Sun?

Your fans want to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought they’d run out of toilet paper, yet you managed to find a copy of the Herald Sun.

It was suggested to me the AFL was looking at making each game pay for view online for something like $5 per game and that this might be the future...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is true. The AFL cooked up the idea in a lab in China few months back.

Mods, please move this post from scandals to the main board...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back