Big Day For Tassie Womens' Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

This belongs on the domestic board but I'll post it here until Gough moves it. ;)

A big day for Tassie today with the women taking out the WNCL 50 over title with an emphatic win at Bellerive Oval.

SA 8-242 were defeated by Tassie 1-245, with both Manix-Geeves & Villani both scoring unbeaten tons for the hosts.

This is the first domestic title for Tasmania in womens' cricket, so it's a big day for the state and the game there.

Well done girls from a native Tasmanian, makes me very happy.

Well it was a sure thing with 5 players from NSW, that's WNCL championship DNA! But it's encouraging that 2 of the 3 native Tasmanians in the team are young.

I've been pretty outraged at the lack of opportunity given to Emma Mannix-Geeves until very recently, especially with how bad the Hurricanes have been for so long. Hopefully there's much more time for her in purple from next season onwards (including behind the stumps), and much less mismanagement of the sort that would force a talented kid to pack up and move interstate...

Courtney Webb, after an ominous knock of 88 today for SA, finishes the season as leading run-scorer (2nd youngest ever, only behind Lanning in 2012/13) so it really is a big day for Tassie women's cricket after all.

Well it was a sure thing with 5 players from NSW, that's WNCL championship DNA! But it's encouraging that 2 of the 3 native Tasmanians in the team are young.

I've been pretty outraged at the lack of opportunity given to Emma Mannix-Geeves until very recently, especially with how bad the Hurricanes have been for so long. Hopefully there's much more time for her in purple from next season onwards (including behind the stumps), and much less mismanagement of the sort that would force a talented kid to pack up and move interstate...

Courtney Webb, after an ominous knock of 88 today for SA, finishes the season as leading run-scorer (2nd youngest ever, only behind Lanning in 2012/13) so it really is a big day for Tassie women's cricket after all.
That's not limited to the women in Tassie.

The Shield side that smashed Queensland had only 4 native Tasmanians in the XI, the side from the match before was even worse, it only contained 2.

For a State which has produced a good number of quality cricketers over the journey, local talent development seems to have pretty much halted.

I keep trying to find out why, with little luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back