Big Fish ?...Hawthorn trade news and targets thread(not for trade hypotheticals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have nothing to trade anyone in terms of picks next year - we put all our eggs in this basket.

At the end of this year we will have at least two more retirements - And only a second round draft pick. Probably need to cross our fingers that we've identified exception later draft talent (Like Puopolo and Hill)

Brad Hill was pick 33.

We have nothing to trade anyone in terms of picks next year - we put all our eggs in this basket.

At the end of this year we will have at least two more retirements - And only a second round draft pick. Probably need to cross our fingers that we've identified exception later draft talent (Like Puopolo and Hill)
We have plenty of players to trade, if we so desire.

We have plenty of players to trade, if we so desire.

Agreed we can find some currency if we need. Birchall (sign and trade or FA), mcevoy and puopolo are blokes i see as - potentially - being in a Lewis situation this year where we can open a clear spot in the best 22 and hope to get something in return for an accomplished player (dare not contemplate something similar to mitchell again).

Agreed we can find some currency if we need. Birchall (sign and trade or FA), mcevoy and puopolo are blokes i see as - potentially - being in a Lewis situation this year where we can open a clear spot in the best 22 and hope to get something in return for an accomplished player (dare not contemplate something similar to mitchell again).

Birch just signed a long term deal though, not sure he'd be on the block.

for talent like Kelly or Shiel the likes of Luke Breust AND James Sicily will be sort after. It wont be Poppy or Birch. on the other hand a Jacob Hopper could be a little easier.

for talent like Kelly or Shiel the likes of Luke Breust AND James Sicily will be sort after. It wont be Poppy or Birch. on the other hand a Jacob Hopper could be a little easier.
Last Saturday Breust & Bevo were at the Boundary Hotel having a couple of drinks & a catch up. It's Bevo's local. Now I know they're old mates & all that but it still made me wonder. Breust & Suckers are very good mates as well.

Also a untouched set of 2018 Draft Picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone in this thread did an analysis of the hit rate of draft picks and it's surprisingly low in terms of genuine A graders you develop out of first round picks. We hit the jackpot in one draft year with three, but generally our top draft picks are a 50% hit - and that's looking at those who play 200 games not necessarily those who become top notch players.

This is obviously why the club feels comfortable trading for young, guaranteed talent. I'd be perfectly happy for us to trade our first round pick every year to be honest, as you'd generally be getting back someone with 2-4 years in the system who you have a pretty good idea what their output/ceiling is going to be. It's actually a pretty conservative strategy because you're not rolling the dice on an 18yo every year who may not come on, you're taking a punt on a relatively more mature player who can go straight into the team.

The trick in making this work is to ensure your later picks don't bust, and we've done very well at making sure those picks work over the last 5 years.

Someone in this thread did an analysis of the hit rate of draft picks and it's surprisingly low in terms of genuine A graders you develop out of first round picks. We hit the jackpot in one draft year with three, but generally our top draft picks are a 50% hit - and that's looking at those who play 200 games not necessarily those who become top notch players.

This is obviously why the club feels comfortable trading for young, guaranteed talent. I'd be perfectly happy for us to trade our first round pick every year to be honest, as you'd generally be getting back someone with 2-4 years in the system who you have a pretty good idea what their output/ceiling is going to be. It's actually a pretty conservative strategy because you're not rolling the dice on an 18yo every year who may not come on, you're taking a punt on a relatively more mature player who can go straight into the team.

The trick in making this work is to ensure your later picks don't bust, and we've done very well at making sure those picks work over the last 5 years.
Yes, you can say that again, and again.

If we trade our 2018 first round, we'll need to trade in a first round for 2019 (or earlier).

Not necessarily.
We just wouldn't be able to trade another first rounder until we had used two.

At least that is apparently the situation for Geelong who did not use a first rounder in 2015 or 2016 and have already traded their 2017 pick.

Not necessarily.
We just wouldn't be able to trade another first rounder until we had used two.

At least that is apparently the situation for Geelong who did not use a first rounder in 2015 or 2016 and have already traded their 2017 pick.
yeah pretty sure the sanction is just you can't trade future picks or maybe even just future first picks again until you are caught up, so it can be a valid tactic

This definitely isn't the right thread, but I feel like stirring the pot so here goes...

Pretty big if, but IF Jordan De Goey doesn't get a look in at the Pies this year and is given the flick come end of season, should we have a crack at getting him?

I know he's not technically a 'big fish' per se but I don't see why other clubs can't talk about it seeing as some people are saying his time at Collingwood is hanging by a thread.

I know he's got some serious off-field issues but he also has some serious talent, and imagine other clubs reactions if we somehow pulled him to our club and he turned into a superstar...

This definitely isn't the right thread, but I feel like stirring the pot so here goes...

Pretty big if, but IF Jordan De Goey doesn't get a look in at the Pies this year and is given the flick come end of season, should we have a crack at getting him?

I know he's not technically a 'big fish' per se but I don't see why other clubs can't talk about it seeing as some people are saying his time at Collingwood is hanging by a thread.

I know he's got some serious off-field issues but he also has some serious talent, and imagine other clubs reactions if we somehow pulled him to our club and he turned into a superstar...

Seeing Eddy's head go bright red & have those veins popping on his forehead if De Goey got a BOG as a Hawk would be brilliant!

Think we'll definitely need a ruckman, would be looking around the state leagues for a mature body that's ready to go. There aren't many out of contract rucks around apart from, dare i say..... Tippett??:grin::grin::grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back