Big Fish ?...Hawthorn trade news and targets thread(not for trade hypotheticals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the #1 pick in the PSD be more valuable then the #1 pick in the national draft.

Uncontracted players could walk. Take Kelly and another uncontracted and FA Rockliff.

I'm couldn't give a damn about a spoon, people only remember flags.

In my opinion, with all emotion taken out of it, id see what other clubs would offer for someone like Cyril..
He's 28 this year, relies heavily on his athleticism and he's still in his prime so other clubs would throw themselves at someone of his class.. But il stop right there before I get lynched!
Cyril would easily command a single digit pick - maybe even two. His talents on field are obvious and would be highly desired by any club close to a flag. He's also a huge fan favourite and brings in huge marketing dollars for the club. It would be a very bold move should the club go that route. The resulting riots could make the Croad and McPharlin protests look very tame in comparison. If it was up to me I wouldn't trade him, but if two high-ish first rounders were on the table it would be tempting.

Could the #1 pick in the PSD be more valuable then the #1 pick in the national draft.

Uncontracted players could walk. Take Kelly and another uncontracted and FA Rockliff.

I think trading for Kelly would be hard, who wants to go to Blacktown?

Also surely we need a Third Defender more than a Kelly? Persevere with Hartung for another year then chase Whitfield.

Yes, it could. But only if those players are prepared to walk out on their club and leave them with nothing - and of course if they're that keen on getting to us.

It could be used as leverage to prevent an opposition club from matching our free agency bid for their player. Say as an example* Dustin Martin, Tom Rockcliff and Jackson Trengove all want to come to us at the end of the year. We'd first concentrate our efforts on Martin. Even if Richmond could easily match our offer they'd be forced not to if Martin was prepared to walk to us via the PSD. So they let him walk and get their compo pick. We then rinse and repeat with Rockcliff and then Trengove.

Should Richmond still try to match and actually force us to take him in the PSD then it costs us our leverage for the other two. But in the end we'd still be getting Dustin Martin for nothing - which would be a huge win. So unless opposition clubs are prepared to shoot themselves in the foot for the sake of protecting other clubs from this tactic it's a potentially very powerful asset.

And if that all goes to plan and we end the free agency period with that pick still in our bag then it could again be used as leverage in trade deals. And then if we still have it and there's someone we couldn't afford in trade who's out of contract (eg. Kelly) then we could just pick him up in the PSD with pick 1.

But again, this all relies on players remaining keen to join us despite finishing last, and those players being prepared to screw their old club over by being prepared to walk to the PSD.

* Sorry for the hypothetical. It was to illustrate the mechanics of the strategy - not to suggest what might happen (though it would be pretty sweet if it did!).

The thumpings wont help attract any big fish but interesting the reports richmond have upped their offer from 800k to 1m, screams to me he is gettable if they cant get him to sign
Worth remembering that FA's are agreed to a long way out.

Franklin, Ablett, Dangerfield.....they all knew where they'd be before they started their last seasons at their old clubs.

If Fyfe and Dusty are moving( I think at least one of them will), they've known where to for a while.

In my opinion, with all emotion taken out of it, id see what other clubs would offer for someone like Cyril..
He's 28 this year, relies heavily on his athleticism and he's still in his prime so other clubs would throw themselves at someone of his class.. But il stop right there before I get lynched!

I have a horrible feeling that this might happen.

if we were ballsy we would trade breust and Cyril at the end of the year. Don't think either of them will play well in a rebuilding team. We need to build up our midfield and back line, but we have a surplus of forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would we have to give up to make Abasi imagine this is a hypothetical trade thread? Maybe Breust to GWS because his cousin played rugby league and I have very good mail there is at least one player on an opposition list who barracked for Hawthorn growing up.

Thoughts?
Dimebag's first ever Dean.

I have a feeling we would be better off going for a few young and unestablished players much in the vain of how Sydney went after Mumford when he was at Geelong, rather then tie all our money on one big fish FA

Imagine there's no Trade Thread
It's easy if you try
No Kennedy returning
Or Breust becoming Fyfe
Imagine all the rookies bundled for a gun

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join Abasi
As we trade Whitecross for pick one

Rockliffe will be 28 next year and Trengrove will be 27 and worn after 2 years rucking instead of playing as a key defender. Smells a lot like topping up with Henderson types. Trengrove would just squeeze Brand out or maybe make Frawley surplus to needs.

Not big fish but there are serviceable key defenders in Tom Clurey (out of contract this year) and Aidan Corr out of contract next year we should be watching.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

What is Whitfields contract status, is he out of contract this year? We should focus on bringing in young guns like him who aren't getting a game and also try and snare one or two more expensive FA's.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

cant believe Damian Barrett is running with Prestia picks Tigers over the Hawks article and how he has made the right choice! thank God he didn't come to us, as I do not think hes what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back