BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

9. PORT ADELAIDE- Jordan Gallucci (Eastern Ranges)

Ill write more on this later when I get back from uni but I think Port will go for someone with foot skills which is their biggest need.

Gallucci is the best kick in the draft IMO. He weights them really well generally and his teammates look to give him the ball all the time around the back, which is usually a really good indicator of someone being a great kick. He can link up well and break the lines with his right boot and good pace and acceleration. He can play on the ball or across half forward where he can hit the scoreboard and gets himself into good areas.

I think his weaknesses mainly lie in his ability to lay tackles and compete inside and win clearances, which are all things that can be hidden in Port's midfield with the likes of Wines and Boak in there getting first hands on the footy and feeding it out to him.

AFLprospectss

Pick 10 St Kilda - Harrison Macreadie (GWS/Henty) (196cm, 86kg)

touted as a possible number 1 pick at the start of the year. i view Macreadie as the best key defender in the draft. i think GWS will match any bid for Macreadie after they moved him from Henty at the end of 2015, but with that said he has not been at his best in 2016 but i think he has the athleticism, footy smarts and runs on the board to be a top 10 pick. makes good decison's and has extremely solid skills.

Reason why i picked Macreadie is because St Kilda are in need of another key defender. with Dempster, Fisher and Gilbert getting on, Macreadie can team up with Carlisle to develop a backline for their next premiership tilt. other players i considered at this pick were Setterfield, Scheer, English and Parfitt.

Last edited:
......and picture in club colours and civvies.....details of favourite food and holiday destination....and favourite movie...forget that...Shawshank.

How could you forget the swimsuit competition?

Last edited:
Carlton - Ben Ainsworth

Write up in 1 hour or so.

Pick 5 - Carlton - Ben Ainsworth
POS: Small forward, Ht 179cm, Wt 74kg, DOB 10/2/98
From Gippsland Power/Vic Country

On the Carlton board we have the normal conversation about the desire for tall forwards. I then checked out the Hawthorn forward line structure.

Cicily, McEvoy, Pup
Rioli, Gunston , Bruest

?, McKay, Sumner
Ainsworth, Curnow, SOS

(While I do understand Adelaide/Geelong have a more traditional tall forward structure.)
I think Carlton have recently recruited, McKay, Curnow and SOS to fill some forward line roles. We're seriously lacking some small forwards at the moment.
Ainsworth has had a multitude of injuries this season and combine that with his four game suspension he was semi forgotten about. I think along the lines of SPS you did not get to see their true potential at the under 18's.
He one of the most explosive small forwards going around with a combination of strength of leap. While he is short, his leap and power cover his lack of height.
He is the kind of player that in 1 quarter may win you a game with a 4 goal burst, like he did in the VC v VM game.
I watched him move into the midfield for a short period of time and did not look out of place so I gave me hope that he will not be a pure forward.

I personally think he is close to the best kick into the forward 50 in this draft. His kicking into the forward line reminds me of Walters from Freo.
I think at worst he will be like Jamie Elliot from Collingwood and at best we may see someone like Paul Chapman.

He will need to work on his endurance (Just like Walters) and defensive efforts are not a strong point at the moment.
He has a hard edge and ever interview with him I've heard, he sounded like a seasoned veteran.

(I was close to selecting Andrew McGrath)

Pick 6 Richmond

Can't believe that Jack Bowes hasn't been picked, I'd snap him up here in a heartbeat. I took Matt Kennedy last year, but this year I'm going to stear clear of the academy kids as I know we won't be getting him!

So Richmond at Pick 6 will take Andrew McGrath.
179cm/75kg Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Andrew McGrath is a rebounding defender that has the ability to play through the middle. McGrath’s leadership skills are superb and someone that clubs will like when they come to interview him. McGrath was the co-captain of Vic Metro & is school captain at Brighton Grammar School.

McGrath was Vic Metro’s U16 MVP after the championships in 2014, but was a shock omission from the AIS/AFL Academy. McGrath’s athletic traits comes from an elite athletics background, where he was a superb hurdler and competed in many jumping events (from hurdles to long jump). In a sense he is still pretty raw, only coming into full time AFL commitments this season with athletics out of the way.

McGrath lept to fame when he shut down Vic Country forward Ben Ainsworth, keeping him to two handballs after swapping onto him shortly before 3QT. McGrath ‘won’ them the game, with his drive from defence being pivotal.

McGrath catches the eye coming out of defensive 50, with a burst of speed and elite agility to get around opponents and take the ball out of defence.

On the inside, he also has ball winning abilities with a huge 44 disposals, 19 tackles and 14 clearances. He can find his own ball and despite his size has played inside midfielder at stages.

Across half back I feel is McGrath’s best position. McGrath’s kicking is above average, but does have the ability on occasions to be hot & cold from game to game. One game he won’t miss a target; before the next week he might have a couple of clangers in an attempt to break the game open.

His risky kicks aren’t to put clubs off, he’s a great field kick- But what lets him down is those occasional risks that look great when pulled off & average when not. Another weakness is his depth of kicking, he is one that doesn’t have a big boot on him and struggles to hit a kick 50m.

However, whilst McGrath isn’t one to kick 50m- He can run 10m and kick the ball 40m which is in a sense the same.

Recently has pushed forward for his school football team, kicking five goals in the last two weeks- Including a best on ground in the wet/mud on Saturday.

McGrath will be a top 10 selection, his x-factor from defence is something that not many players in the AFL have.

Edited it in there for you
Ok, a few points.

1. We have Carlisle coming in next year, Goddard once his Achilles heals, two 194cm stop gaps in Sam Gilbert and Dylan Roberton and a 195cm rookie KPD in Coughlan who's acquitted himself well in the VFL.

2. That's (fairly) not taking into account Fisher, Lee or Delaney, one of whom may still be on the list in 2017.

3. While we have a limited need for KPD depth, we have absolutely NO need for English, as we already have Hickey, Longer and Pierce signed up and on the list, and Holmes as a Cat B rookie.

4. Parfitt is likewise not a particular need, but is far too early at the pick anyway IMO. Scheer would be a leap too.

5. What we DO need is classy, quick midfielders (preferably tall too but we can't have everything) to complement the mids we already have.

I don't doubt Macreadie's ability, but to me it's a completely mystifying pick.

Last edited:
Ok, a few points.

1. We have Carlisle coming in next year, Goddard once his Achilles heels, two 194cm stop gaps in Sam Gilbert and Dylan Roberton and a 195cm rookie KPD in Coughlan who's acquitted himself well in the VFL.

2. That's (fairly) not taking into account Lee and Delaney, one of whom may still be on the list in 2017.

3. While we have a limited need for KPD depth, we have absolutely NO need for English, as we already have Hickey, Longer and Pierce signed up and on the list, and Holmes as a Cat B rookie.

4. Parfitt is likewise not a particular need, but is far too early at the pick anyway IMO. Scheer would be a leap too.

5. What we DO need is classy, quick midfielders (preferably tall too but we can't have everything) to complement the mids we already have.

Which player(s) did you have your eye on that would have made you happy?

Pick 10 St Kilda - Harrison Macreadie (GWS/Henty) (196cm, 86kg)

touted as a possible number 1 pick at the start of the year. i view Macreadie as the best key defender in the draft. i think GWS will match any bid for Macreadie after they moved him from Henty at the end of 2015, but with that said he has not been at his best in 2016 but i think he has the athleticism, footy smarts and runs on the board to be a top 10 pick.

Reason why i picked Macreadie is because St Kilda are in need of another key defender. with Dempster, Fisher and Gilbert getting on, Macreadie can team up with Carlisle to develop a backline for their next premiership tilt. other players i considered at this pick were Setterfield, Scheer, English and Parfitt

I think Macreadie is much more of a tall flanker than a key defender. Hasn't shown any real ability to lock down a man and seems far better (and more interested) in running off his man and rebounding, which is his big strength. I don't know if you take that guy as a top 10 pick (or even top 20).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, a few points.

1. We have Carlisle coming in next year, Goddard once his Achilles heels, two 194cm stop gaps in Sam Gilbert and Dylan Roberton and a 195cm rookie KPD in Coughlan who's acquitted himself well in the VFL.

2. That's (fairly) not taking into account Lee and Delaney, one of whom may still be on the list in 2017.

1. Goddard has been Injured so who knows if he makes the grade? Gilbert and Roberton play as 3rd talls at their height where Macreadie plays tall and small.

2. Lee and Delaney are back ups, would NOT play in a AFL premiership team

3/4. Didn't draft English or Parfitt, just said they came under consideration due to their ability being around this pick

5. i was hoping Ainsworth/Venables slipped but as you can see they didn't, but in my view there will quality tall mids with the Saints other 3 picks later in the draft

who would you have taken mate and ill tell you where i rate them? wouldnt ruin the integrity, this is made for discussion

Which player(s) did you have your eye on that would have made you happy?

That was my problem this year. Despite the top 6-7 looking really strong, I find there is a big gap to the next group and there weren't many that I really liked around this mark. Nothing really stands out to me as having some real positives without too many flaws that leave me feeling comfortable with selecting them.

Interesting pick.
High risk. High reward.
I personally think this is too high but if his natural ability and athleticism come together then he is the number one player from this draft.
Would Freo pass on Mccluggage or SPS for him in the real draft?
Fascinating conundrum

Coming in, I probably would have agreed that Todd Marshall at #3 was maybe a bit high. Is he the third best player in the draft? But then I looked at it properly, and he arguably is - especially when it's Fremantle who have the pick. It's such an even spread, even McCluggage isn't on another level to Marshall.

If SPS was available, I probably would have picked him. And I expect Fremantle would do the same, he'd fill so many holes in the midfield. But the real question would be do they overlook Tim English or not. I suspect not, even though I don't agree.

Wow that is a big call. Good to have a left field one in there so early!

I was deciding between Todd Marshall and Josh Rotham, so if anything I went the conventional route!

1. Goddard has been Injured so who knows if he makes the grade? Gilbert and Roberton play as 3rd talls at their height where Macreadie plays tall and small.

2. Lee and Delaney are back ups, would NOT play in a AFL premiership team

3/4. Didn't draft English or Parfitt, just said they came under consideration due to their ability being around this pick

5. i was hoping Ainsworth/Venables slipped but as you can see they didn't, but in my view there will quality tall mids with the Saints other 3 picks later in the draft

who would you have taken mate and ill tell you where i rate them? wouldnt ruin the integrity, this is made for discussion
The three Sandy boys - Taranto, Scrimshaw and Florent - would have been front and centre.

Other than that it's a bit of a crap shoot.

The three Sandy boys - Taranto, Scrimshaw and Florent - would have been front and centre.

Other than that it's a bit of a crap shoot.
Fair enough, Taranto is the only 1 of those 3 who i may have selected but i rate Macreadie quite high. as i said, i would think GWS would match the bid so would be picking again anyway. think pick 10 is abit of reach for Scrimshaw and Florent at this stage

Fair enough, Taranto is the only 1 of those 3 who i may have selected but i rate Macreadie quite high. as i said, i would think GWS would match the bid so would be picking again anyway. think pick 10 is abit of reach for Scrimshaw and Florent at this stage
It's more the type of player. Macreadie is simply not a player we need.

Setterfield is also a far better pick seeing as the Academy kids are clearly fair game.

Last edited:
Interesting pick.
High risk. High reward.
I personally think this is too high but if his natural ability and athleticism come together then he is the number one player from this draft.
Would Freo pass on Mccluggage or SPS for him in the real draft?
Fascinating conundrum

Completely agree. Marshall has draft bust written all over him.
Or, he could end up being the best player in the draft.

they wont let him go to another club. huge investment in him. also a type they want.

North select Will Setterfield here for reasons I'll outline later but I don't want to hold up proceedings.

Wizard17 and the dogs are up

Very good selection and I was hoping he would fall another four spots. But alas not to be.
I think that Setterfield can play from day one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back