BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 54 - Hawthorn
Patrick Lipinski - Northern Knights/Vic Metro
DOB: 17/7/98, Height: 188cm, Weight: 79kg
Position: Medium Forward/Outside Midfielder

Patrick Lipinski might just be the most athletic player in this year's draft pool and very happy to snap him up at Pick 54. Started off 2016 as a goal threat for the Knights, as he kicked a goal in each of his first 6 games. Then a move into the midfield beckoned as he has averaged 27 disposals a game in his last 3 games. So he has showed he's able to be thrown into the midfield and not be a one trick pony, which will set the alarm bells off to AFL clubs. A former elite basketballer, which has served some other great up and coming players of the past such as Pendlebury and Petracca. Possesses a great leap and pair of hands as well, is a former Eltham JFC player, which as produced players such as Nick Vlastuin and David Zaharakis. Expect Lipinski to garner alot of attention at the National Combine being such a naturally gifted athlete, with his promise grabbing him the required 4 nominations to be able to attend the National Combine in Melbourne later in the year.

Last edited:
Pick 54 - Hawthorn
Patrick Lipinski - Northern Knights/Vic Metro
DOB: 17/7/98, Height: 188cm, Weight: 79kg
Position: Medium Forward/Outside Midfielder
Write-up soon
Damnit. Hope he would slid to my next pick. Close to the most Athletic player in this draft.

Well it is always interesting when you have your eye on a number of players and they fly off the board before your selection.

Carlton Pick 41 - Myles Poholke
184cm and 84kg

Carlton Pick 41 - Myles Poholke 184cm and 84kg

This kid already has an AFL shaped body and I think he could be used in multiple positions. I actually view him long term as an inside midfielder. He is super clean below his knees, one touch styled player and his hands inside are very good. I think a lot of his inside work can go unnoticed and like all VC players they often have further scope for improvement once they live closer to their training facilities.
Strong overhead and knows his way around the goals, so he could play across the half forward line and then move into the midfield as he gains more experience.
The first game I watched, I was massively impressed and then the second game I did not really notice him, so consistency would be a key trait to work on it seems. Still with pick 41, you're just looking for enough AFL attributes to potentially make it.

Carlton Pick 48 - Taylin Duman

Carlton Pick 48 - Taylin Duman
193cm and 75kg.

I think he will eventually play on the HBF with his size and ability. He can drift into the wing and does not look out of place and is competent above his head. His kicking is serviceable, everything looks solid about it, just lacks a little penetration but to me it is not a massive weakness. If he is going to make it at AFL level, he will need to work on his 1 on 1 defending abilities. He seems to have a football IQ that gets him into the right places, so I'll back him in to handle the modern day zoning game.

Once again, it is a pick that has the ability to play multiple positions, I could see him pinch hitting in the midfield as his ability to hit a target in the I50 is decent.

Mainly picked him over Bunker due to his height and ability to potentially play in the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 56 - Brisbane

Ben Jarman

Brisbane need a small forward or two especially if Josh Green leaves as anticipated. I was considering Ben Davis here as well but in the end I decided to go with Jarman. Despite growing up as a member of the Jarman clan he is still a long way from a finished product. He is still quite slight and has been brought on slowly. He has midfield potential but has played mostly in the forward line so far.

We need pace and skill and those are two things which Jarman also has. He is a classy little player with quite a lot of potential and I am sure with his name recognition someone is going to take him. He is worth a punt at this stage.

Pick 55 Brennan Cox 194cm 90kg SA

Cox had a fantastic national carnival and i think he can become a really solid no frills defender in the mould of heath grundy.
Cox is a very effective spoiler of the footy who gets enough of the footy to impact the game however i do not envisage him being a harry taylor like big marking intercepting defender.
Cox looks quick enough to me and showed okay agility as well. I find it a little hard to evaluate where he Cox is at as their is not a large pool of talented key position forwards this year. How would he have gone against schache, mckays or hipwood
i look forward to see what his tank is like as a lot of forwards will try and get defenders on the slingshot

rationale
After taking Maibaum it is unusual to take another tall however i think Brennan is too good to still be on the board. i also think we will lose hibberd
if this was our real draft our depth chart would look like
key defenders hurley-hopefully, hartley, brown, maibaum and cox- francis swingman
key forwards daniher, hooker daylight........................... bellchambers,mckernan, brown- francis swingman

Carlton Pick 41 - Myles Poholke 184cm and 84kg

This kid already has an AFL shaped body and I think he could be used in multiple positions. I actually view him long term as an inside midfielder. He is super clean below his knees, one touch styled player and his hands inside are very good. I think a lot of his inside work can go unnoticed and like all VC players they often have further scope for improvement once they live closer to their training facilities.
Strong overhead and knows his way around the goals, so he could play across the half forward line and then move into the midfield as he gains more experience.
The first game I watched, I was massively impressed and then the second game I did not really notice him, so consistency would be a key trait to work on it seems. Still with pick 41, you're just looking for enough AFL attributes to potentially make it.
Showed some great explosiveness out of congestion on the weekend too.

Pick 58 - Gold Coast - Elliot Himmelberg

Gold Coast select a project player here who has a lot of potential and a fair bit of upside who can be developed over time. I look at Himmelberg and think that he has a lot of the same skills that his brother had last year, they are similar athletes although Harry was more proven and had a better year. Elliot projects best imo as a key position defender, at 196cm he has the size and he definitely has the athleticism to succeed.

He has a reasonable U18 champs and played on some reasonably good players in the Champs and more than held his own. The first two things that you notice with Elliot are that he moves very well for a player his size and that he is clean both with picking the ball up or marking it overhead. He makes good decisions with the ball and his disposal looks to be reasonably good. He has the ability imo to be a good lock down defender who is strong overhead, a good intercept marker and provides some run out of defence. There is a lot of upside here and although he played for QLD he is not tied to an academy so is in the open draft.

It would not surprise me if he went in the second round and was rated highly by recruiters. Personally I think early third round is around his mark given his upside is offset by the fact that he is still somewhat of an unknown. I was very close to taking Declan Watson here and I rate both QLD key defenders quite highly.

Last edited:
Pick 55 Brennan Cox 194cm 90kg SA

Cox had a fantastic national carnival and i think he can become a really solid no frills defender in the mould of heath grundy.
Cox is a very effective spoiler of the footy who gets enough of the footy to impact the game however i do not envisage him being a harry taylor like big marking intercepting defender.
Cox looks quick enough to me and showed okay agility as well. I find it a little hard to evaluate where he Cox is at as their is not a large pool of talented key position forwards this year. How would he have gone against schache, mckays or hipwood
i look forward to see what his tank is like as a lot of forwards will try and get defenders on the slingshot

rationale
After taking Maibaum it is unusual to take another tall however i think Brennan is too good to still be on the board. i also think we will lose hibberd
if this was our real draft our depth chart would look like
key defenders hurley-hopefully, hartley, brown, maibaum and cox- francis swingman
key forwards daniher, hooker daylight........................... bellchambers,mckernan, brown- francis swingman
All the players you picked are championship all-Australians aswell can't complain with those selections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back