BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Quiet observer that follows the game pretty closely.
Loving your work so far guys!!!
Great rationale behind each pick. Particularly like the SPS call by OffSider!!!
I believe the gem of the draft and well worth the pick at #4.

Pick 6 - Gold Coast - William Brodie

Write up to follow, but with his size and being arguably he best clearance player in the draft he suits Gold Coast well. Also suits SPS and would work well with him.

Gold Coast seemed to go backwards a little in the clearances this year and I felt that primary reason behind this was a lack of a genuine contested ball winner with a big body. Brodie rectifies that and is probably the best inside mid in the draft. I expect him to come in and play some footy next year but he could add some more muscle. He is a bit of a one trick pony being primarily an inside mid but he is developing his marking and he could become dangerous pushing forwards so there is potential there.

His kicking is solid without being great. I actually think given time and space he can spot up targets quite well but there is inconsistency there and he is prone under pressure to just kicking it blindly long. But there is something to work with there. He is developing his marking and can take a good contested mark, with his size and strength I expect that this area will develop. Athletically he is imo above average, he has shown some ability to burst out of packs and he can seem, on occasions, to break the lines. He seems to find a fair bit of the ball around the ground but it is his contested work that stands out. He is very good at keeping his hands free and seems to have good vision in contests, which I am a huge fan of. He should become a dominant inside mid and the obvious comparison imo is Josh Kennedy.

Chris25

Last edited:

Pick 5 - Tim Taranto

POS: Midfielder, Ht 186cm, Wt 82kg, DOB 28/1/98
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

I watched him at the under 18's and thought this kid could really play, my main concern at the time was his midfield ability. It was roughly the same concerns with Ainsworth. He is one of the strongest marks for his size, I personally think he has a great defensive side for a midfielder/forward. I am projecting him to potentially play like Parker. Watched him at the end of the season and he certainly showed the ability to play midfield and the direction modern day football is heading, being multi postional is very handy. I have him close to the best player in the draft and he will start his AFL career as a half forward and move into the midfield in his second or third year. I could see him starting off a little like Dunkley did for the Doggies this year.
Some elements that should translate into AFL football.

• Scoreboard impact - Has the ability to kick goals.
  • Vision - Kicking into the forwards is his strength and with the modern game, this is highly important.
  • Contested ball winning midfielder, another key for the modern game
  • Tackling - I think he is one of the best tacklers other than SPS
  • Marking - Bartelish ability above his head
  • Versatile - Forward and midfield he looks comfortable.
  • Big game player - As the game becomes more important, Taranto lifts.
A modern day midfielder you want to be multi positional, contested ball winning and above average ability by foot. Taranto ticks all these boxes, his only flaw that would take him to another level (McGrath levels) is the speed aspect of his game. If you could improve his explosive ability in the first 20m, I think he would be very hard to stop.

Carlton just need good players everywhere, so I am picking best available with my first two or three picks. Brodie was considered, but I think Taranto just has a few more tricks. (Even if I really like Brodies main trick)

Nice take. I have this kid # 3 in the draft at the moment. I think he has some really special things about him and his development has so much upside.

Taranto, Brodie or SPS could all be justified at #4. We need all three types. SPS is the classic Clayton pick. Taranto provides a classy midfield/ HF link we're after, and Brodie that big bodied mid we need. Can't lose with any of them but can lose out on obtaining more than one if we select wrong strategically thinking, by not considering other teams picks after us in the top ten.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

# 7 GWS - Will Setterfield / Sandringham Dragons / 189cm / 80kg

Jack Steele out and Will Setterfield in! Exactly the sort of midfielder who can rotate through the forward half that GWS are looking for. Can play a midfield where is he quite imposing at the stoppages and that was on show through the carnival where his CP were almost 50%. He gets to the loose ball really well and he makes elite decisions with his hands in traffic and it shows in his disposal efficiency numbers where he pretty consistently runs at circa 70%. Also happy to work hard defensively for his team and apply tackle pressure. His tackling technique is really good. Like the best midfielders he has that ability to hold the ball and create better options for himself and his team. Seen a lot of him at the various levels and he is a player that generates a lot of drive for his team and he demonstrates that regularly when he takes a mark and looks to get going pretty well straight away which without wanting to pour pressure on him is similar to Bontempelli. The kicker with him is that he can roll forward where his height and marking ability is a real strength. One out and once a bit bigger he could create difficulties for opponents.

His problems are more his body in so much he just seems to pick up little injuries here and there which individually aren't significant but collectively stop him from having the year maybe some were hoping.

Interviews really well. He is a ripper this kid. You have to admire kids like him who in such an important year can play for 3 different clubs all over the country. Says a lot about what you are getting.

Well, I'm going to double up...

Fremantle bid on Jack Bowes with pick #8. Over to you Offsider

Why stop now, keep the academy bids flowing!

main.php

The three of them would be the midfield set for the next 10 years.
Better than Swallow (1), Bennell (2) and Caddy (7)? That was meant to be their midfield set for the next 10 years.

Or was it Prestia (9), O'Meara (MD #1) and Martin (MD #1)?

Shouldn't you only make bids if you have the player as the next best on your draft board?

Yes and no, but mainly yes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back