BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Snoop Dog - you have everyone passing after pick 98. Is that because you are stopping then? There are more senior spots open and I expect clubs will fill their spots. Example West Coast - we have 1 more senior place available so expecting Monocle to select another prospect for us.

I also think this year's draft is still providing us with good prospects even into the 60's and there are more available that I am still liking.

477938.jpg

Elliott Himmelberg
Redland Bombers/Queensland
Key Position Prospect
Height: 196 cm Weight: 84 kg D.O.B: 4/6/98

2016 Statistics:
View attachment 309472

Bio:

One of the few top key position talents in the draft, Elliott has a lot of fans. After moving from NSW-ACT, the brother of Harry Himmelberg at the Giants has gone from an above average local footballer to bonafide AFL prospect. This year Himmelberg has starred at all levels in the early parts of the season and and his peak could've gone in the early second round. This didn't last long as injury struck at the u18 national championships in the first game. Himmelberg as a tall is extremely mobile and has shown to be a strong mark in the air despite him being a raw prospect at this point.

Why the Swans took him:
The Swans right now don't have too many tall talents on their list and as the likes of Heath Grundy and buddy Franklin age, depth will be needed for their side. This is where Himmelberg comes in as he has enough time to fill out and grow and provide depth which may have been lost this year with Xavier and Ted Richards. The Swans may have the tall talent now but will need depth for the future.
Profile is up

450626.jpg

Taylin Duman
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Tall Midfielder/Half-back
Height: 193 cm Weight: 75 kg D.O.B: 18/4/98

2016 Statistics:
upload_2016-11-11_12-15-16.png

Bio:
A TAC cup premiership player, Taylin Duman is one of a few Chargers who look likely to be on an AFL list come 25th of November. After starring last year as a bottom ager for the Chargers and an impressive Grand Final performance, Duman has taken his game to another level this year as he played in the Vic Metro championships team and was a standout for Oakleigh in his 16 games. A classy player with ball in hand, Duman has got all the traits to make it at AFL level as an outside midfielder.

Why did the Swans take him?
The Swans midfield in my eyes, despite its strength, lacks that outside runner who can break games open Isaac Smith style. The Swans are really one paced and have lacked for a while now a player who can break the lines like Malceski who broke games open in 2014. The Swans might look to Duman so they can add that extra gear of pace in their midfield and after some years of development, become that top line outside midfielder.

Carlton - Pick 49 Myles Poholke
POS: Midfielder, Ht 183.7cm, Wt 82kg, DOB 10/07/98
From Dandenong Stingrays

Still really unsure why people don't rate this kid as high as myself. I would put it down to his kicks lacking a little penetration and often he selects the shorter option and often goes a little sideways. He is mainly viewed as a half forward that drifts into the midfield, so that is also a reason for him being marked down.
Now for all those negatives, here is what I like about Myles. Like Taranto, he is excellent overhead and has the ability to drift forward and smaller defenders will struggle to match up on him. Has a lovely AFL size about him, so no questions on his body shape. A one touch football and the real highlight of his play and what makes me think he will eventually play as a midfielder is his hands in close. Hardly ever gets his hands wrapped up, releases lovely handballs and just has great vision. He is not slow either, running 2.98 in the 20m, 14.1 beep test and in the top 15% for repeat sprints.

Carlton really need some help in the midfield as we're one of the worst contested ball winning sides. Last year we selected a few tall forwards in McKay and Curnow. We've also added some talls to our defensive unit in Marchbank, Plowman and Weitering, so that area is covered for the short term.
I've really focused on dual position players that I feel can spend time forward but also not look out of place rotating through the midfield. I think Taranto, Gallucci and Poholke will spend 60% of their time forward and rotate between the forward and back halfs.

About time someone took Walker, what a talent at # 57.

Yeah i was hoping he would keep sliding. He is just a really smooth HB flanker isn't he whose kicking is just something clubs would crave having in that role. But look Poholke, Kerr, Williamson, Maibaum, Atley are all great names to be getting in the 50's aren't they.

About time someone took Walker, what a talent at # 57.

Yeah i was hoping he would keep sliding. He is just a really smooth HB flanker isn't he whose kicking is just something clubs would crave having in that role. But look Poholke, Kerr, Williamson, Atley are all great names to be getting in the 50's aren't they
Snoop Dog - you have everyone passing after pick 98. Is that because you are stopping then? There are more senior spots open and I expect clubs will fill their spots. Example West Coast - we have 1 more senior place available so expecting Monocle to select another prospect for us.

I also think this year's draft is still providing us with good prospects even into the 60's and there are more available that I am still liking.

I had them there in case there were further delistings and spots opened up.

WCE did have an extra pick but that was used to match Waterman when I bid thereby taking away there later selection (circa 106?).

As far as I know its pretty right but let me know if you think have wrong somewhere. Shoot me a PM and we can work through.

You are correct on the talent. I still have a number of blokes i would love to have taken.

Geelong select Patrick Lipinski

438821.jpg

Patrick Lipinski
Northern Knights/Vic Metro
DOB: 17/7/98, Height: 188cm, Weight: 79kg
Position: Midfielder/Forward

2016 Stats:
WYMTPnj.png

Profile: Patrick Lipinski might just be the most athletic player in this year's draft pool and very happy to snap him up at Pick 54. Started off 2016 as a goal threat for the Knights, as he kicked a goal in each of his first 6 games. Then a move into the midfield beckoned as he has averaged 27 disposals a game in his last 3 games. So he has showed he's able to be thrown into the midfield and not be a one trick pony, which will set the alarm bells off to AFL clubs. A former elite basketballer, which has served some other great up and coming players of the past such as Pendlebury and Petracca. Possesses a great leap and pair of hands as well, is a former Eltham JFC player, which as produced players such as Nick Vlastuin and David Zaharakis. His promise and athleticism grabbed him the required 4 nominations to be able to attend the National Combine in Melbourne later in the year.

Rationale: Provides a great option for the future, with the ability to play both midfield and forward, while crafting his trade in the Geelong VFL side. Also considered Oscar Junker, Judah Dundon and Jack Henry. But got an absolute steal here at #69.

Last edited:
Carlton - Pick 67 - Liam Baker

POS: Small Forward, Ht 172.5cm, Wt 67.4kg, DOB 10/02/98
From West Perth

Carlton need a small forward and at pick 67 in the draft, I am going to select a player I enjoy watching. There are a number of small forwards so Carlton would have their choice of a few options.

Negatives
  • Small
  • Slow for a small forward
Positives
  • Kicks both sides
  • Large tank
  • Good overhead
  • Great vision
When playing in the Colts, he would get close to 30 possessions a game.

He will mainly play as a small forward with short stints as a midfielder, looking for some Caleb Daniel styled production.

Carlton - Pick 67 - Liam Baker

POS: Small Forward, Ht 172.5cm, Wt 67.4kg, DOB 10/02/98
From West Perth

Carlton need a small forward and at pick 67 in the draft, I am going to select a player I enjoy watching. There are a number of small forwards so Carlton would have their choice of a few options.

Negatives
  • Small
  • Slow for a small forward
Positives
  • Kicks both sides
  • Large tank
  • Good overhead
  • Great vision
When playing in the Colts, he would get close to 30 possessions a game.

He will mainly play as a small forward with short stints as a midfielder, looking for some Caleb Daniel styled production.
Hisham Kerbatieh does not like this.;)

I had them there in case there were further delistings and spots opened up.

WCE did have an extra pick but that was used to match Waterman when I bid thereby taking away there later selection (circa 106?).

As far as I know its pretty right but let me know if you think have wrong somewhere. Shoot me a PM and we can work through.

Doesn't Hawthorn need to make three picks in the draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rookie upgrades do.
Correct - there is a minimum of three National Draft selections required (Rule 6.2d). Rookie upgrades are included.
That means Hawthorn would have to use (according to the current order in this draft): #94, #96 and #114. Are rookie upgrades being considered in this thread?

Pick 3 - Brisbane write up

Ben Ainsworth

Coming into the Champs this year I was sceptical about claims that Ainsworth should be considered a top 3 pick. For me you do not take an under 180cm small forward, with limited demonstrated ability to play in the midfield, in the midfield. Then I watched him play at the Champs and I watched him play some small patches in the midfield and I am now onboard.

I doubt you will find anyone who has watched Ainsworth a lot who does not think he will be an excellent forward at AFL level. Despite lacking a bit of height, Ainsworth is an excellent mark overhead with the common comparison being to Jamie Elliott. Ainsworth has a great stretch and often you think the ball is going over his head before he goes up just a bit further and bringing it down. He times his jumps very well and arrives at the ball at just the right time. His timing and reading of the ball in the air is as good as you are going to see in a small forward.

When you watch Ainsworth play you can't help but notice how many times he is 2 or 3 metres ahead of his opponent on the lead. Despite a fairly solid build Ainsworth is extremely quick (he recorded 2.90 over the 20m sprint at the Combine) and he uses that to good effect in games. He times his leads really well and leads to dangerous spots. If you watch him he is also a forward who reacts very quickly to what is happening up the ground and once he gets a step or two on an opponent he is not being caught. He can sustain a lead and will get marks up onto the wing even when he is stationed as a deep leading forward. One slight worry was how he performed when he was matched up on genuinely quick opponents. At the Champs when he was matched up on McGrath and Long he was very quiet. I do think it is a bit of an overreaction to read too much into those two match ups. He has been dominating as a forward for two years now and has regularly gotten good defenders with speed. With that said it is something to keep an eye on and he will be matched up on more guys who are close to as quick as he is when he gets to the AFL and he is going to need to rely on other tricks than just his pace.

One other thing to consider for those quiet games was how much time Ainsworth had missed up to that stage of the season. He had a very interrupted first half of the year after suffering a broken wrist and then suffered a knee injury which kept him out for a month. Also coming into the Champs he was forced to miss a month through suspension. At the Champs Ainsworth looked quick but was perhaps a little soft around the edges. I thought he looked a harder body in the All Star game in Grand Final week. One of the things Ainsworth needed to work on this year to assuage some of the concerns about his midfield ability was his endurance. His beep test at the Combine would have been one of the most closely observed to see if he had improved his tank over the year. When he ran a 14.3 I am sure a few teams picking at the beginning of the draft probably breathed a sigh of relief knowing that they can pick him with some confidence that he will have the tank to run for extended periods through the midfield at the next level.

At the Champs he played some time through the midfield and I thought he looked very good when he did. Coming out of the Champs he started to up his midfield time at TAC level and he got better and better. By the end of the year he was dominating and putting up huge disposal numbers. Like he demonstrates up forward, Ainsworth has extremely clean hands below the knees and when you combine that with his explosive pace he can pick up the ball and go before others react. When I watched Ainsworth through the midfield I always found myself wondering why the ball just seemed to follow him around. The number of times the ball just seems to fall to him is amazing. Eventually you just have to concede that it is not luck and rather Ainsworth just reads the play exceptionally well and puts himself in the right position a step ahead of everyone else.

When Ainsworth gets the ball he evaluates his options very quickly and will not always just go to the easiest and first option. Coming out of contested situations Ainsworth might have the most hurt factor in this draft. He often takes high risk high reward options and is good enough to hit the target and create an opportunity for his side. Ainsworth is not a big outside runner at the moment but when he does get up and running he covers the ground very quickly without seeming to be putting in too much effort. I think there is a lot of potential for him to have a very damaging outside game as he continues to build his engine. In traffic he is strong and balanced and although he does not seem very elusive that might be deceptive given he is not tackled a lot. By foot and hand Ainsworth is good but probably a bit below elite. Similarly up forward he is a good but not quite elite shot at goal.

The one area where Ainsworth is wanting is in the defensive side of the game. He does have a bit of the superstar approach to defensive running and tackling ie those are jobs for the plebs. That is going to need to change at the next level and he is going to be criticised a fair bit early in his career I think for that. From all I have heard though Ainsworth is a really good guy and I am sure he will get with the program and put in the effort even if it is not his natural inclination.

excellent write up Quigley.....most of ur previous player analysis were spot on ( lions players specially) i.e aish etc......hands down the best players analysis available on the web...r u going to do your mock draft this year?

excellent write up Quigley.....most of ur previous player analysis were spot on ( lions players specially) i.e aish etc......hands down the best players analysis available on the web...r u going to do your mock draft this year?

Cheers blions2001. I am working through my write ups. At this stage I am aiming to post next Friday provided I can get through a fair few over the weekend.

Cheers blions2001. I am working through my write ups. At this stage I am aiming to post next Friday provided I can get through a fair few over the weekend.
Great work.....looking fwd to that!!..hope you are including Jacob Allison in the mock draft...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back