Big Footy Book Club

Remove this Banner Ad

1712187890136.png

Gave 'Eagle In The Snow' a read on the recommendation of a work colleague.

Thoroughly enjoyed it for the historical accuracy and portrayal of a legion during the twilight of the Roman Empire. One for the history buffs.

Currently reading/listening to Our Kind of Traitor by Le Carre after stumbling on it at an air b&b recently. Much better than the movie. Really enjoying it.

Finished two books this week. Richard Osman is great as always and you can't help but love the characters he has created. Book three isn't as good as the other two, but it's still great and I loved reading it.

4.5/5

1712218102554.png

Sadly, this wasn't as good as the first one. It was still good, but it was a little underwhelming. Few annoying characters, but full of lots of unexpected twists and turns and you still want to know what is going to happen.

4/5.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 7.09.55 pm.png

Sadly, this wasn't as good as the first one. It was still good, but it was a little underwhelming. Few annoying characters, but full of lots of unexpected twists and turns and you still want to know what is going to happen.

4/5.

View attachment 1949599
I read it too, didn’t like it either. I ended up skimming through.
👎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that the movie is terrible so I googled the differences between the book and movie… worlds apart. The book is great.
there was another series of books that were a murder mystery that got made into a tv show recently
and they completely changed the ending
changed the killer
made the killer a character that wasn't even in the book or was like on a couple of pages, and turned them into a much larger character so they could be the killer

completely changed the entire point of the story and like, why bother, if you're going to do that why bother buying the rights to something

there was another series of books that were a murder mystery that got made into a tv show recently
and they completely changed the ending
changed the killer
made the killer a character that wasn't even in the book or was like on a couple of pages, and turned them into a much larger character so they could be the killer

completely changed the entire point of the story and like, why bother, if you're going to do that why bother buying the rights to something
The author wouldn’t have been thrilled, even if he/she got paid plenty for the rights. It’s a wonder there wasn’t a clause limiting the changes to the storyline. That sounds like a pretty big change.

The author wouldn’t have been thrilled, even if he/she got paid plenty for the rights. It’s a wonder there wasn’t a clause limiting the changes to the storyline. That sounds like a pretty big change.
I think the issue now is everything is controlled by non creatives that use polling etc to decide what the winning formula is

movies have done re edits, reshoots, changed endings for years to improve audience scores

the end result is everything being the same and boring and predictable because the people that go to those things want it that way

you see it every day where a hit movie comes out of nowhere and you find out they fought the studio the whole way to release the movie they wanted and won

its why so much stuff is the same

its just churned out to make a profit and has to fit the "success" formulate

If anyone is looking for a great read in a US election year Woodward and Bernstein's All The President's Men is a great thriller and a journalism 101 rolled into one fantastic book.

If you haven't read them and you have some spare cash, Rick Perlsteins trilogy, "Before the Storm, The Invisible Bridge and Reaganland" are really worth reading.
Superb mishmashes of politics, culture and Stateside tabloid.

I'm not normally a fiction reader, but I'm riding that Trent Dalton hype train right now.
Haven't seen the Netflix adaptation of Boy Swallows Universe (brilliant book) but am most of the way through All Our Shimmering Skies and I think it's actually better than BSU.

Late to the party but I just started reading this. Got the sequel at Christmas, now going back to the original (can't think of anything spoilt in the second, the author makes a point of saying he won't spoil it for anyone reading it the wrong way round). A proper mystery but with a funny conceit of the narrator being upfront about the rules and the clues.

1712651907753.png

Late to the party but I just started reading this. Got the sequel at Christmas, now going back to the original (can't think of anything spoilt in the second, the author makes a point of saying he won't spoil it for anyone reading it the wrong way round). A proper mystery but with a funny conceit of the narrator being upfront about the rules and the clues.

View attachment 1954758
I have read both.

I found it very jarring how much the reader is directly addressed in this one. It really took me out of the world. It was much less noticable and frequent in the second book.

However, he does write very well. His use of metaphors and descriptions are fantastic.

Drowning, by the same author, is the best fiction book I'll most likely ever read.

This was written first, and while not as good, it's still bloody fantastic.

Bill Hoffmann is a pilot and is faced with a choice - crash the commercial plane he is flying, or his family dies.

It's so friggen intense and gripping. Absolutely loved it.

5/5

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 7.03.47 pm.png

Picked up Stalking Claremont in Melbourne Airport yesterday morning. About the Claremont serial killings in the 1990's and subsequent shithouse police work in the following years. Unputdownable. Of particular interest to us West Australians who were up and about in the mid 90's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back