BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d love if McAsey was still available for the Dogs’ second round pick. There could well be someone too good to pass up for our first pick, as Young was in this mock, and then if we could get McAsey to fill a pressing need for a bargain price, I’d be over the moon.

As a Brisbane fan, I'm really liking our current ladder position, but not so much where our picks fall in this draft. We still have the trade period to go, but if we don't trade anyone of significance in, and keep our early picks, we're going to miss out on the type of player we really need, most notably a classy inside out mid to play wing.

Dylan Stephens and Mitch O'Neill would be pick 1A and 1B.

We'll likely get a decent player that fills a need at the first of our second round picks. Trent Bianco would be a very good pick up here as a classy, running defender, who has the scope to also play wing.

O’Neill Sharp day Henry (bid) Rantall Cassar Shute sound like the guys Brisbane should be targeting and lots of them would be a available where Brisbane will have draft picks. Not all of them exactly meet the inside outside classy specifications but few do. But some running mids / hbfs there.

O’Neill Sharp day Henry (bid) Rantall Cassar Shute sound like the guys Brisbane should be targeting and lots of them would be a available where Brisbane will have draft picks. Not all of them exactly meet the inside outside classy specifications but few do. But some running mids / hbfs there.
Ok so this is what Fagan wants from our wingers.

The quotes are taken from an article on the club website, talking about Mitch Robertson re-signing.
“Wingers are very much involved in stoppages these days so you need your wingers to be tough, he is a guy who was a natural inside player,’’ Fagan said.

“The other thing you want your wingers to be able to do is to run back and help defend, he is a brave player and his willingness to fly in the air in front of the forward is important for us.

“And he is working off his opponent and going forward and kicking goals."

From my view that rules Sharp out, as he's a very outside player who doesn't have that toughness to put his body on the line.

I have thought about Rantall at our later second round pick. Just needs to work on his kicking.

Pick 91 Fremantle - Matthew Nunn (181cm, 81kg from Norwood)

I'll finish my draft off with my pick of the mature aged players, the 22 year old Matthew Nunn. Fremantle posters know I've liked him for some time, he's improved every single year in the SANFL. He can play both inside and outside, and his kicking has improved dramatically to being almost a strength of his game. Could slot in on a wing next year.

Pick 91 Fremantle - Matthew Nunn (181cm, 81kg from Norwood)

I'll finish my draft off with my pick of the mature aged players, the 22 year old Matthew Nunn. Fremantle posters know I've liked him for some time, he's improved every single year in the SANFL. He can play both inside and outside, and his kicking has improved dramatically to being almost a strength of his game. Could slot in on a wing next year.

i thought he was a chance in the mid-season draft

The Bombers Haul
Sam Dekoning is a tall who is improving rapidly and has a chance to be really good in time. My guess is as a forward/ ruck. Pickett can just flat out play and could be lethal with tippa and Irving. I took jarrod Cameron last year at a similar stage and Pickett is further developed for mine.thomson Dow is a reliable mid with some speed and hardness though his class may be lacking. May and Sharman are two 190 cm plus athletes who are built for the modern game. I suspect Sharman will go a fair bit earlier in November. Harvey hooper is a plug in and play small defender.

I reckon Daniel mott from Calder is pretty stiff. Nathan Stewart also from Calder is a roughie on the radar.
This is a really wven draft that has been slightly diluted by the mid season draft.

Pick #92 Adelaide - Cole Gerloff Norwood 181cm 80kg

Late pick so throwing a name into the ring, a little bit mature age but still only 19, has been excellent this year for Norwood and is still building. Tremendous ballwinner at underage level, now hitting the scoreboard but working well defensively as well, has some pace, good skills by hand and foot and always finishes well. Can also lock down and tag if required, the consumate role player, but this year as a mid/half forward has been super and would add a nice offensive threat to a limp AFL side atm.

The Bombers Haul
Sam Dekoning is a tall who is improving rapidly and has a chance to be really good in time. My guess is as a forward/ ruck. Pickett can just flat out play and could be lethal with tippa and Irving. I took jarrod Cameron last year at a similar stage and Pickett is further developed for mine.thomson Dow is a reliable mid with some speed and hardness though his class may be lacking. May and Sharman are two 190 cm plus athletes who are built for the modern game. I suspect Sharman will go a fair bit earlier in November. Harvey hooper is a plug in and play small defender.

I reckon Daniel mott from Calder is pretty stiff. Nathan Stewart also from Calder is a roughie on the radar.
This is a really wven draft that has been slightly diluted by the mid season draft.
Mott very stiff.

Considering it is highly likely Carlton are trading away their first round selection, if rumors are true, then Papley is coming to Carlton. Considering I selected Henry here and he is linked to Freo, consider it like for like. It fills the need for Carlton to increase our small forward/midfielder issues. Henry is in my mind the best small forward that will transition into the midfield like Walters. Henry is all class and that game which was basically the final for the championships showed his class. Fremantle have secured themselves a gun for the future in my eyes.

Now, Ruscoe is probably rated way too high for me, but I consider him a long term prospect as a tall inside midfielder, that can pinch hit as a third tall defender long term. His marking ability is top notch, kicking skills are above average and certainly will put his body on the line. I have seen small elements of midfield ability, so this is where I am pinning my hopes. I think he also has a sneaky chance of playing as a third tall forward.

Harrison Jones - I watched him live the first time and for me he was one of the standout raw talent players for Metro. I wrote a heap of notes on this guy, even if he was not on my main watch list. Great hands, clean below his knees and makes great decisions kicking the ball into the forward line. Then you consider his height and weight.... project his current game style with an AFL body and it gets very interesting. I struggle to understand how he can drift to pick 47 in the real draft. I noticed that Twomey, Foj1 and a few others are also rating this kid. It will be interesting to see his back half of the season and then transition into AFL.

Ned Cahill - Moneyball kind of selection. Small forward that is not completely outstanding at any one aspect but certainly trys hard. He reminds me a little of McHenry from last year, maybe not the same endurance levels, that will be the one aspect that may hinder him. Still he adds some smarts to our small forward line and is another dart at filling a pressing need for the Blues.

Ben Johnson - When you're picking the 83rd pick in the draft, you're really just picking players with one or two AFL traits. Johnson can lock down damaging small forwards and as shown in the WA games, can easily kick the ball from outside of 50m when he kicked two 55m goals from handball receives. I thought he played an underrated role for WA in shutting down dangerous players. He is a zone buster, in the Wilson style of play. He just needs to work on being able to run 10m and then use his 50m+ kick and make his 15 possessions really damaging.

11 Carlton - Liam Henry - If Carlton do keep this pick and Taheny or Williams have a great end to the season, those two would be strongly considered
38 Carlton - Trey Ruscoe - In hindsight, I probably should have picked Jones here and not rolled the dice, consider Foj1 could have taken him
47 Carlton - Harrison Jones - Nothing else considered
68 Carlton - Ned Cahill - I was strongly considering Charlie Comben here and would not complain switching these two options.
83 Carlton - Ben Johnson - Throwing darts, but I also considered Jai Jackson here for another inside midfielder.

Ok so this is what Fagan wants from our wingers.

The quotes are taken from an article on the club website, talking about Mitch Robertson re-signing.

From my view that rules Sharp out, as he's a very outside player who doesn't have that toughness to put his body on the line.

I have thought about Rantall at our later second round pick. Just needs to work on his kicking.
I’ve seen Sharp at colts, WAFL and u18 - he is a little selective as to when he goes so you’ve made the right wall for Brisbane given your winger criteria. He may develop it but hasn’t shown it often or long enough

Fremantle's draft

8 - Finn Maginness
26 - Darcy Cassar
80 - Ben Jungfer
91 - Matthew Nunn

I wasn't particularly bothered by 'winning' the trial draft. Come the real thing, I'm expecting Fremantle's draft picks to look significantly different - we should have a couple more early selections. If my job was on the line, I'd have selected Dylan Stephens at #8 and matched the Henry bid with my second pick. Also would have traded up for one of Dyson Hilder/Karl Finlay, probably still picked Matthew Nunn late but maybe gone for Jed McEntee/Lachlan McNeil with one of the late picks.

Instead I took this as a chance to really put Maginness' name out there, I do like him. And the same for Cassar, I have him 20-30 but don't see his name mentioned very often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle's draft

8 - Finn Maginness
26 - Darcy Cassar
80 - Ben Jungfer
91 - Matthew Nunn

I wasn't particularly bothered by 'winning' the trial draft. Come the real thing, I'm expecting Fremantle's draft picks to look significantly different - we should have a couple more early selections. If my job was on the line, I'd have selected Dylan Stephens at #8 and matched the Henry bid with my second pick. Also would have traded up for one of Dyson Hilder/Karl Finlay, probably still picked Matthew Nunn late but maybe gone for Jed McEntee/Lachlan McNeil with one of the late picks.

Instead I took this as a chance to really put Maginness' name out there, I do like him. And the same for Cassar, I have him 20-30 but don't see his name mentioned very often.
I'd be shocked if we didn't have at least 5 live picks in this draft, with most in the top 30. We are going to lose players worth a reasonable amount and unless Kelly is seriously considering us, nobody worth much is likely coming to us.

The real phantom should be much more interesting for you.

I'd be shocked if we didn't have at least 5 live picks in this draft, with most in the top 30. We are going to lose players worth a reasonable amount and unless Kelly is seriously considering us, nobody worth much is likely coming to us.

The real phantom should be much more interesting for you.
I am not up to date with Freo, but I thought Langdon was the only person potentially leaving?

I am not up to date with Freo, but I thought Langdon was the only person potentially leaving?

Claims only but rumors are that Langdon (Money), B Hill (wife), S Hill (Money), Blakely (Money) are all being lured east. B Hill has publicly come out and said he will go back to Vic at some point but is currrntly under contract.

Were also rumors about Cox and (strangely) Dixon earlier in the year.

Don't think it all happens but can see part of it happening.

I’d be trying to talk Gold Coast into taking Stephen Hill, and at big coin to get a decent compo pick. His body just won’t handle regular football again it seems.

And if he goes, then Brad Hill is gone too. So that’s potentially three top 25-30 picks for the Hill’s and Langdon.

Fremantle need to do something drastic. And this could be the year to attack the draft. Get Stephens and all the WA boys - Robertson, Henry, Taylor.

Claims only but rumors are that Langdon (Money), B Hill (wife), S Hill (Money), Blakely (Money) are all being lured east. B Hill has publicly come out and said he will go back to Vic at some point but is currrntly under contract.

Were also rumors about Cox and (strangely) Dixon earlier in the year.

Don't think it all happens but can see part of it happening.
I’d be trying to talk Gold Coast into taking Stephen Hill, and at big coin to get a decent compo pick. His body just won’t handle regular football again it seems.

And if he goes, then Brad Hill is gone too. So that’s potentially three top 25-30 picks for the Hill’s and Langdon.

Fremantle need to do something drastic. And this could be the year to attack the draft. Get Stephens and all the WA boys - Robertson, Henry, Taylor.
The Gold Coast board has been talking about Langdon and Blakely a lot.

No, they should then just place Cerra and Brayshaw where they belong.
Oh I agree (not sure why they're not playing onball now!), but there'll definitely be some teething pain IMO.

I’m not going to Fan the fire Chris25, by say they are leaving, but if they do .... I like your draft picks. Your opinions on Sharp and Rivers?

Sharp is an enigma much like Taheny I suspect, whilst Rivers just keeps doing what he is doing no matter where he plays, interesting last 2 weeks in colts as a mid!

I’m not going to Fan the fire Chris25, by say they are leaving, but if they do .... I like your draft picks. Your opinions on Sharp and Rivers?

Sharp is an enigma much like Taheny I suspect, whilst Rivers just keeps doing what he is doing no matter where he plays, interesting last 2 weeks in colts as a mid!
I really like the look of Rivers but don't want to invest in HBFs, especially with our NGAs next year (Walker x 2), so unless he is highly likely to play midfield I hope Freo focus elsewhere.

I really like the look of Rivers but don't want to invest in HBFs, especially with our NGAs next year (Walker x 2), so unless he is highly likely to play midfield I hope Freo focus elsewhere.
I have seen enough of Rivers to believe he will become a midfielder. My comparison is to that of Berry who I wanted to draft 3 years ago as I saw midfielder in him despite playing 2 years in the carnival as a HBF. Happy if Fremantle do not want him, I see one of our 2 second round picks being around his pick.

My concern for West Coast is more that he is a no nonsense player and O'Brien track record has been to go the clean cut more skillful.

North Melbourne Draft Review

Pick 9 - Lachlan Ash - Rebound Defender
Pick 27 - Dylan Williams - Medium Forward/Utility
Pick 45 - Malcolm Rosas Jnr - Small Forward
Pick 69 - Charlie Comben - Key Forward/Ruckman
Pick 85 - Brodie Newman - 3rd Tall Defender/Forward

Bargains galore especially Williams and Comben i went in looking at certain types of players with speed the main focus which has been identified with Ash and Rosas, Ash is a top 10 talent and an easy selection at 9 with his speed, class and leadership his main features. Williams is a potential De Goey type with his power and freakish knack around goals, has been thrown into the midfield in patches and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from the small sample size and hope to see more of it before the year is out, he is easily a first round talent. Rosas Jnr has some freakish ability aswell with his speed and agility extremely good, would have stuck out even more in the champs if he played for a better side. Comben started the year as a key forward with talent but showed he could also ruck at the champs making him a very attractive prospect in a draft shallow on talls, kicked 3 goals on the weekend not only from set shots but one snap on the boundary in general play showing his great agility for a big man. Newman wasn’t exactly in my thoughts but the North’s fans seemed adamant on another key defender and despite not quite being overly tall he has some great leadership qualities and reads the play well, strong mark overhead aswell.

Not just North but i thunk any team would be laughing with this hall which i think looks very solid at this early stage. Plenty of good players i passed on after nailing certain areas and certain players not fitting the needs. Daniel Mott is extremely stiff and Cooper Sharman will certainly go higher in the real thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back