Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got Snoop’s picks.

He bids on Henery.

Chris25 do you match ?

I certainly do.

Pick 14 Fremantle - Liam Henry

Liam Henry - 179cm, 67kg mid/forward from Claremont, WA

If Fremantle didn't have access to Henry already, I'd have genuinely considered him for my pick at #10. There's been a lot of discussion on the Fremantle board about where a bid will come, and I think there's a real chance it comes earlier than expected. And that's because Henry is in a class of his own in terms of what he offers as a prospect.

His combination of speed and skill is elite as a draft prospect. You don't want to generalise, but it's inevitable that Henry is compared to other indigenous players like Michael Walters and Cyril Rioli. And he can do everthing that they make look so easy. And it's almost a shame that we take these things for granted now, because the poise and smarts that a prospect like Henry shows are truly AFL quality.

The key for Henry going forward will just be body strength. I really rate his potential as a midfielder, but it will likely take a few seasons before he becomes more consistent and able in that role. Worst case, I think Henry will be a very good small forward for a long time to come. Best case, he could be one of the more damaging midfielders in the league.

Snoops on a role here.

He bids on Maginness.

Davo-27 does Hawthorn match the bid.

matched

Pick 15 Hawthorn - Finn Maginness

187cm 80kg Sandringham

has improved from last season where he played mostly outside mid and was struggling to get disposals for Sandringham, has always been a good user of the ball and a good kick for goal, so those skills have always been there, but his big weakness is his accumulation and this year he has improved that to 20 disposals playing inside mid, can also play as a half forw with his goal kicking skills.

i wouldnt match if this was before our first pick as i think theres around 15 players better, but seeing as pick 30 wont get access to Gould we dont lose anything matching a bid on Maginness here.

on field he doesnt look very athletic as he gets caught a lot breaking away from packs and handballing as soon as he is tackled most of the time, but at the combine it shows he has good speed and endurance, his endurance seemed good in game but he tends to run through the centre rather than into space demanding the footy, his use of the ball under pressure is something he can work on, but overall he has many strengths that i like in an inside mid, strength, breaking tackles, effective handball under pressure, when in space good kick, good kick at goal, burst of speed out of a pack when he isnt being tackled, clean hands, feeding outside mids.

he performed well for Vic Metro being one of the best 5-6 players from a bottom of the table VM squad.

(As a Brisbane and big Will Gould fan it pains me to do this)

Pick 17.
Gold Coast Suns:

Will Gould. (Third Tall or General Defender)
14/1/01
192cm
106kg
South Australia & Glenelg

(This is not the write up I had originally, as I lost it when three quarters of the way through)

There's a good article out today about Gould showing up at the combine out of shape, and the work he's putting in to get get ready for playing AFL. It's behind a paywall, so I can't link the full article, and I am cutting and pasting from the Lions forum.

Glenelg premiership defender Will Gould – described as one of the best leaders in this year’s draft pool – has responded to questions about his fitness by shedding 6kg and slashing his skinfold levels in two weeks.
Admitting to being “a bit rusty’’ at the AFL Draft Combine, which was held just nine days after he helped the Tigers break a 33-year league premiership drought, Gould said he had been stung by some “pretty direct instructions’’ in his meeting with Sydney.

Key defender Gould weighed in at the combine at 106kg and recorded skinfold measurements of 78 after a week of celebrating Glenelg’s long-awaited flag.

When he last weighed himself two weeks ago – after he had pulled out of the Tigers’ end-of-season trip to Darwin to focus on his body and the draft – he had dropped to 100kg and his skinfold levels were down to 60.

The Swans had told Gould – SA’s under-18 captain this year – that his skinfolds needed to be measured at 55 or below before a club would draft him.

“There was a little bit of feedback from clubs at the combine,’’ the powerful 18-year-old told The Lowdown AFL Draft Podcast.

It's fair to say Will Gould divides opinions.

There are those who see a man child playing against underdeveloped kid his own age. There are those who question what position Gould will play at AFL level, to short to be a tall defender, and lacks the agility to play on small forwards. And there are those that question his professionalism after showing up at the National Draft Combine out of shape.

What Will Gould possesses is an elite long kick, a big frame with the power to drive through players, and he's what those who follow the game call a "natural footballer". Gould is elite in reading the ball in defence, taking intercept marks, and rebounding the ball with powerful, straight line runs.

In a professional AFL environment, with full-time strength and conditioning coaches, and dieticians, Gould should lean down, while increasing his power.

Gould is tall enough to play on recently drafted third tall forwards such as Darcy Fogarty and Oscar Allen, and also should be able to defend some of todays powerful medium forwards such as Charlie Curnow and Dustin Martin.

Gould should slot in to Gold Coasts best 22 from round one, and help improve not only the defence, but ability to move the ball down field accurately. Gould will add to Gold Coasts growing number of South Australian draftees, and hopeful help influence Jack Lukosius to sign a contract extension.

Snoop Dog write up done.

cotter101 you’re up.

Last edited:
With pick number 6 (originally 5), Sydney select

Luke Jackson
East Fremantle FC
KPF/Ruck
199cm/94kg

Jackson has been steadily climbing the boards in 2019 and for me, he is the stand out tall in this draft. There is a lot to like about this guy and I was prepared to jump up and take him. I expect to hear the shouts of “we don’t want a ruckman this early” but I saw him play live on several occasions and if you had of been there, you could also justify my valuation. He is no ordinary ruckman and later in 2019, he showed that he would make it as a KPF.

He has the basketball background and in 2019, finally chose football over representing Australia in the green and gold for hoops. During the year, I witnessed a marked improvement in his positional play and his reading of the ball. The longer the season went, the more natural a football brain he showed. Will he be a power forward who rucks or a ruck who plays more the Grundy ruck and ruck-rover away from stoppages? I am not sure but that does not change my valuation.

There is a reason that the East Fremantle midfield of Trent Rivers, Jeremy Sharp, Chad Warner and Trey Ruscoe were all invited to the combine after they seemed to step up in 2019. They had Jackson feeding them. And when I say feeding them, it is not just his hit outs (and yes in typical basketball style they hit the mark) but Jackson has a wonderful follow-up, is clean below his knees and was frequently feeding the mids by handpass post stoppage. Sydney mids will be salivating to think they would have Luke joining their team.

While there are a load of midfielders in this draft, I expect to be able to address those needs with picks 25, 32 and 44. Jackson offers a significant point of difference and hence the selection.

Over to you Chris25

That was a big call. I am not saying you are wrong, but it would be a bold move to take Jackson at 6. Still, I can see the rationale behind the decision.

As a Brisbane and big Will Gould fan it pains me to do this.

Pick 17.
Gold Coast Suns:
Will Gould.

Write up tonight.

cotter101 you’re up.

I reckon GC would love to get Gould. Very good footballer, ready to go next year, great mate of Luko apparently. Think they'd be rapt with Rowell, Anderson and Gould. All worthy of their rating, all ready to go and smart for overall list retention hopes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will be some serious melting on the geelong board if this was to happen

All part of the plan to get Cooper Stevens to Richmond. ;)

Jokes aside you can take the issue up with Snoop.

So do I but every draft one or two players who are predicted to go somewhere in the first round end up sliding to a little later than most expect. Gould could be one of those players this year.

I suspect Gould will be a slider according to BigFooty, but not to those in the know. Not that I agree, but I think recruiters will outsmart themselves.

I suspect Gould will be a slider according to BigFooty, but not to those in the know. Not that I agree, but I think recruiters will outsmart themselves.
Not rated in club land?

As an aside, I just lost my write up on Gould That I was three quarters of the way through, when I stopped to have ice cream with my wife.

Is there a player at AFL level you can see in Gould? I am worried he may end up a slow, undersized defender at AFL level. He also does not have the best agility and I am concerned he will not transition that well at AFL level.

Will Gould seems like an amalgam of Grant Birchall and Shannon Hurn. If his body holds up, and he has the right attitude, he will play 200 + games as an intercepting and rebounding defender.
If the Hawks took him at 11/12... Depending on who is left... I’d be happy.
Has a little Glen archer in him as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back