BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the bombers were picking now I would be really confident in securing two good prospects that meet needs and have potential to be above average AFL players. However the 6 I have really identified could conceivably be gone before the bombers enter the draft. I reckon Draft night will be the same way.
Interested to hear who these names were .... if you weren’t still waiting to take one.

Love the pick foj. Bryan rucked and played very well in both the GF and the Aussie game on the G early in the year against the Dees. Has the height, is a thinking ruckman and is athletically gifted.

A great shot this late in the draft. i have him a fair bit higher.

Me too
I nearly took him instead of Philip but I felt he was going to slide. His first quarter of the nab gf was as good an effort as I have seen from an 18 year old ruckman.

Jones was the big one. I like Thomson Dow but prefer Sam philp. De koning will keep developing like his brother is.
I have a couple of rookie specials I reckon.

North Melbourne Summary

Pick 28 - Dylan Wiiliams - Medium Utility
Pick 29 - Sam De Koning - Key Defender/Forward
Pick 47 - Hugo Ralphsmith - Medium Forward/Wingman
Pick 50 - Ned Cahill - Small Forward/Midfield
Pick 75 - Brady Rowles - Rebound Defender/Wingman

I thought i got good value for all the players taken while also filling some needs aswell. Williams and De Koning believe are top 20 talents with Ralphsmith a bargain who i think he is a top 30 prospect with Cahill not far behind. Rowles is a boom/bust pick that could be anything but you take a chance on his ability to run and carry and how he goes in an elite environment. Was really tempted to take Kozzie Pickett with pick 28 but considering i got Cahill at 50 i feel a lot more comfortable with the decision as Williams could be a superstar if he stays injury free and can put all his talent together. De Koning I’m super stoked with as i thought a few clubs would pounce early in the 20s.

Great draft imo. Williams outstanding value, Ralphsmith as well, Cahill is a smart pick, Rowles I love.

No point, how many times do you want to see the words re-rookied lots of commitments already made along
with Cooper Sharman, Josh Honey, Jai Jackson, Isaac Wareham, Emerson Jeka, Ronin O,Connor, Riley Baldi,
Lachlan Williams, Ajang Ajang, Keidan Coleman, Will Martyn, Louis Butler, Ryan Sturgess, Ryan Sparkes,
Jesse Clark and Oscar Lewis just to name a few. Plus a few like Luke Partington and Cole Gerloff who can be
taken before the draft and even the often maligned Mitch Podhajski.
I disagree I think the rookie draft is essential in such an even draft year. My first choice has not been mentioned once in this thread nor has my second choice.

Pick 89 Hawthorn - Ben Kelly
203cm 100kg Murray

Bryan got picked just before my pick was about to come up so then i delayed this pick as i thought he might be available late, his form in the nableague was impressive early, i also was interested in seeing him play at the champs and an injury to Gaden allowed him the opportunity to play and i thought he did really well with his opportunities for the Allies, actually i felt the turning point for the Allies being competitive was when Kelly started throwing his weight around in the middle.

for Hawthorn we are in need of a ruck and with Kelly we get a 19 year old who has improved significantly in 12 months to put his name out there for selection, he is strong, decently athletic and has good form, also competes strongly in the ruck and is handy around the ground with good marking, he is a ready made player and can slot in as a backup straight away, the ultimate plug and play player who can walk into an AFL side in an emergency, which makes him a tempting option for us as we are in need of a back up ruck and he fits the mould perfectly, turns 20 before the season starts.

Wizard17 your turn

Last edited:
RICHMOND SUMMARY:

#21 Will Day (Defender/Outside Midfielder)
#39 Fraser Phillips (Medium Forward)
#40 Darcy Cassar (Medium Utility)
#42 Karl Finlay (Tall Defender)
#56 Darcy Chirgwin (Inside Tall Midfielder)
#77 Daniel Mott (Balanced Medium Midfielder)
#79 Matt McGuinness (Tall Utility)

For me approaching the draft, I generally wanted to look at the best available first off, while trying to meet some needs around the ground. I thought the Tigers could do with one or two versatile talls which I took in Finlay and McGuinness - realising Day was the perfect fit at the first pick and no other value ones floating around at the next picks. Phillips and Cassar are two players who have great upside and think in a Tigers system could really improve the depth and potentially have great futures, while Chirgwin provides that big-bodied inside midfielder which I felt was another addition for the Tigers over the next couple of years to team with Collier-Dawkins as Cotchin gets older. Mott has a bit of upside and like his kicking and decision making, while McGuinness is a consistent player with similarly impressive kicking and flexibility.
Tigers will have to elevate Stack and Baker with Chol, Aarts and Pickett being retained as Cat A rookies and Eggmolesse-Smith as a CatB rookie.
Can see us only picking 3 players in the ND and keeping the senior list at 38 or picking 4 players if we can't trade up.

I disagree I think the rookie draft is essential in such an even draft year. My first choice has not been mentioned once in this thread nor has my second choice.
How Rude, avatar humour. I don't see them taking this many picks in the real thing and they seem to have
committed to re-drafting a lot of players already I think it was nineteen last year for memory, but you are
right there is usually some gems late initials of one of your players J.J by any chance.

Hawthorn Summary
Hawthorn have 2 rookie upgrades to our list so the rest of the picks are Passes, we will have 1 rookie pick

Hawthorn Summary:

#11 Brodie Kemp - 192cm 89kg - Tall Mid/Utility
#15 Finn Maginness - 189cm 82kg - Inside Mid/HFF
#53 Jake Pasini - 192cm 81kg - KPD
#62 Jaxon Prior - 189cm 82kg - HBF/Wing
#66 Brock Smith - 189cm 82kg - Medium Def
#89 Ben Kelly - 203cm 100kg - Ruck

i wanted to draft best available at pick 11, i got lucky and landed Kemp a player i rate highly as i have stated a fair bit in my draft thread, then i took Finn Maginness our F/S but couldve easily taken another player as the talent after 30 is still on par, but loyalty and potential has me go for the F/S option, Pasini was the last remaining good KPD option and i had to take it, Prior was the last remaining high end wing/hbf option at the pick, so im glad i got him there, B.Smith is just a quality defender who could be the perfect Stratton replacement in a couple of years and Kelly is a need as we need a backup ruck who can play right now in an emergency.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Summary
Adelaide Summary

#5 Sam Flanders (inside mid/fwd)
#24 Jeremy Sharp (wingman/half back)
#30 Harrison Jones (mobile tall fwd/utility)
#38 Mitch O'Neill (outside mid)
#45 Charlie Comben (ruck/fwd)
#49 Dyson Hilder (tall defender)

I'm pretty pleased with this haul, only gripe was missing Will Day with #24, I currently have him 11 overall on my board. Huge fan but not to worry, Sharp will be a ripper as well. Flanders at 5 was a no brainer, love him and he'll impact straight away to a high level...I actually have Kemp higher on my power rankings but felt he is a tiny risk so wanted to make 5 a sure thing. Jones is a lovely project but will be exciting if he comes off....O'Neill just a bargain at 38, he's all class, then some talls to finish with Comben and Hilder....covering most of the issues the crows have. Another couple of strong inside mids would be great though as contrary to common belief, the crows need inside power more than outside speed in their youth atm but overall you need less of them in the side.

Will pass on final two picks and reserve spots for rookies.

Pick 87 Carlton - Ben Johnson

At this point in the draft, youre throwing darts and hoping in my eyes. Ben has a number of AFL traits that is enough to get him on a rookie list at worst in my eyes. He is quick and has close to the best kick in the draft. Can easily kick a goal from 60m out and provides great rebounding out of the defensive zone.
Has a solid defensive game as well, I would not mind seeing if he could play that small forward role in the future.

Carlton Summary
9 - Carlton - Lachlan Ash
43 Carlton - Mitchell Georgiades
57 Carlton - Chad Warner
72 Carlton - Callum Park
87 Carlton - Ben Johnson

Not completely sold on my draft haul to be honest. I think Ash sliding to pick 9 would be a shock in the real thing, but I can understand if people view him only as a HBF option that it is maybe too high.
Then I went with pure upside here with not a heap of data to back it up. Georgiades comes from a very strong background and looked amazing last year and I was looking forward to seeing him in action. He was close to playing for Subi in the finals and they have a super strong team. Hoping he can play a Gunston styled role long term with maybe an ability to move into the midfield.
Warner has an elite tank and can play as an inside midfielder. Like with the first two selections, very solid character.
Park and Johnson and underweight players with elite kicking skills that are project players long term.

I was annoyed that Ruscoe, Comben and Cahill were selected before Warner to be honest. Was then even more annoyed with Bryan was taken before my pick 72. Probably should have taken Bryan instead of Warner. Brock Smith was not needed by me, but my god I think he is a bargain back there at pick 66.

The Georgiades v Comben/Ruscoe pick is really annoying me, not sure what is the better option. Kind of wish I had three picks in that area, where I had Georgiades, I would have gladly traded away a second round pick and third round pick next year to obtain those two players.

I have a lot of high ceiling players with plenty of bust potential. Certainly not walking away impressed with my haul, but that was to be expected with your second pick being pick 43.

Pick 87 Carlton - Ben Johnson

At this point in the draft, youre throwing darts and hoping in my eyes. Ben has a number of AFL traits that is enough to get him on a rookie list at worst in my eyes. He is quick and has close to the best kick in the draft. Can easily kick a goal from 60m out and provides great rebounding out of the defensive zone.
Has a solid defensive game as well, I would not mind seeing if he could play that small forward role in the future.

Bastard....... so close.

Hawthorn have 2 rookie upgrades to our list so the rest of the picks are Passes, we will have 1 rookie pick

Hawthorn Summary:

#11 Brodie Kemp - Tall Mid/Utility
#15 Finn Maginness - Inside Mid/HFF
#53 Jake Pasini - KPD
#62 Jaxon Prior - HBF/Wing
#66 Brock Smith - Medium Def
#89 Ben Kelly - Ruck

i wanted to draft best available at pick 11, i got lucky and landed Kemp a player i rate highly as i have stated a fair bit in my draft thread, then i took Finn Maginness our F/S but couldve easily taken another player as the talent after 30 is still on par, but loyalty and potential has me go for the F/S option, Pasini was the last remaining good KPD option and i had to take it, Prior was the last remaining high end wing/hbf option at the pick, so im glad i got him there, B.Smith is just a quality defender who could be the perfect Stratton replacement in a couple of years and Kelly is a need as we need a backup ruck who can play right now in an emergency.
Great drafting Davo! Think you've done superbly :thumbsu:

I was going to take Sharman but dont worry about going back now, its too messy.

Ill take Emerson Jeka

Emerson is a 197cm KPP who's year didn't go to plan. He started the season as a potential first round pick but some wavering form and a mid season knee injury has seen him fall down the draft order. Despite that, there is undeniable talent there. He is a contested marking machine, capable of clunking marks under pressure and in pack situations. He is a decent athlete, leads hard up the ground, has good agility and has impressive pace to create seperation on his opponent. At the moment he looks best as a CHF where he can lead up the ground more, but he can play closer to goal and even down back which he did for Western during the year.

Where he lets himself down is his kicking for goal can be troublesome, as well as not attacking the ball as well as he could on occasion. Even though he is a great contested mark, he doesn't fly for his marks as often as he could and sometimes waits for the ball to hit the ground in contests.

Picking up 3 KPP wasn't in the planning in this draft, but in the 70's, Jeka has too much raw potential to overlook at this point.

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back