BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could mate.
The bombers will need luck in this years draft.
It has almost played out best case scenario for where I ranked players.
The only difference was I hoped for Jones at 31 but Taylor was a very good consolation prize.
If I get the last pick the way I hoped I would have got 3 out of 4 best case scenarios.
Interested in your views and have heard you mention Jones a few times, could you give us some insight as why you rate him so highly...?

Hey Cotter couldn’t find this write up in further pages on Rantall, any chance I’ve missed it or not written up yet?
Have a look at these if you want a write up you can't find

# 95 Geelong - Luke Partington / Glenelg / 181cm / 80kg

High end talent at junior level who had a great Championships and top age year who was recruited by WC but just couldn't snag a spot in that formidable Eagles midfield line up. To be fair it was a pretty tough midfield to get into so no shame in that. Post being delisted went back to SA and has gone onto win a Margarey medal at 22. Inside midfielder who does everything pretty well. The knock is there isn't a standout trick or attribute that he has. Little bit ike Kane Lambert for mine and have no doubt he is way to good for state footy and in the right team would walk into the 22 as an inside mid or even defensive forward type.

PMBangers

Apologies for any confusion and the delay (weekend of madness). I was assuming Murphy counted as a rookie elevation so passed on one of the picks and then figured I'd just bank the extra rookie for the rookie draft.

Will sort Hilder profile shortly, just getting back on feet again

North Melbourne Summary

Pick 28 - Dylan Wiiliams - Medium Utility
Pick 29 - Sam De Koning - Key Defender/Forward
Pick 47 - Hugo Ralphsmith - Medium Forward/Wingman
Pick 50 - Ned Cahill - Small Forward/Midfield
Pick 75 - Brady Rowles - Rebound Defender/Wingman

I thought i got good value for all the players taken while also filling some needs aswell. Williams and De Koning believe are top 20 talents with Ralphsmith a bargain who i think he is a top 30 prospect with Cahill not far behind. Rowles is a boom/bust pick that could be anything but you take a chance on his ability to run and carry and how he goes in an elite environment. Was really tempted to take Kozzie Pickett with pick 28 but considering i got Cahill at 50 i feel a lot more comfortable with the decision as Williams could be a superstar if he stays injury free and can put all his talent together. De Koning I’m super stoked with as i thought a few clubs would pounce early in the 20s.
Shows that in this draft you can get some decent picks even with an average draft hand.

All thanks for participating in the Phantom Draft. See below the profiles still waiting on.

If you did update these later you may have forgotten to tag me as requested.

Adelaide - Thunderstruck - Oneill / Comben / Hilder
Brisbane - cotter101 - Rantall / Byrnes / Perez /
Carlton - LemmingMaster - Warner / Park
Collingwood - Knightmare
Essendon - foj1
Fremantle - Chris25
Geelong - Snoop Dog
Gold Coast - briztoon - Rowell / Anderson / Bianco
GWS - PMBangers
Hawthorn - Davo-27
Melbourne - Monocle / Wizard17 - Jackson
North - eDPS - Ralphsmith / Cahill /
Port - Macca19 - Mead / Jeka /
Richmond - Pie 4 Life
Swans - AsterixTheGaul
St Kilda - Ysaye
Western Bulldogs - Wizard17 - Weightman / Morris / Bell /
WCE - Monocle

All thanks for participating in the Phantom Draft. See below the profiles still waiting on.

Collingwood - Knightmare
Essendon - foj1
Fremantle - Chris25
Geelong - Snoop Dog
GWS - PMBangers
Hawthorn - Davo-27
Richmond - Pie 4 Life
Swans - AsterixTheGaul
St Kilda - Ysaye
WCE - Monocle
All my profiles are done mate, i even told you that a few days ago haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All my profiles are done mate, i even told you that a few days ago haha

Yeah you told me but you didn't tag me in them.......I am not going to trawl through 18 pages to find two of your profiles hence why I ask you tag me once you have done them.

:thumbsu:

I was going to take Sharman but dont worry about going back now, its too messy.

Ill take Emerson Jeka

Emerson is a 197cm KPP who's year didn't go to plan. He started the season as a potential first round pick but some wavering form and a mid season knee injury has seen him fall down the draft order. Despite that, there is undeniable talent there. He is a contested marking machine, capable of clunking marks under pressure and in pack situations. He is a decent athlete, leads hard up the ground, has good agility and has impressive pace to create seperation on his opponent. At the moment he looks best as a CHF where he can lead up the ground more, but he can play closer to goal and even down back which he did for Western during the year.

Where he lets himself down is his kicking for goal can be troublesome, as well as not attacking the ball as well as he could on occasion. Even though he is a great contested mark, he doesn't fly for his marks as often as he could and sometimes waits for the ball to hit the ground in contests.

Picking up 3 KPP wasn't in the planning in this draft, but in the 70's, Jeka has too much raw potential to overlook at this point.

Snoop Dog

Collingwood - Knightmare
Essendon - foj1
Fremantle - Chris25
Geelong - Snoop Dog
GWS - PMBangers
Hawthorn - Davo-27
Richmond - Pie 4 Life
Swans - AsterixTheGaul
St Kilda - Ysaye
WCE - Monocle
Rowell and Anderson are done. I edited them in and tagged you last week.

I’ll admit I’ve lazy getting the Bianco profile done.

Snoop Dog

Jackson Mead is Port Adelaide's first all AFL father son selection. Meady was a Port Adelaide cult hero through the 90's, playing in 3 SANFL premierships as a Ruck/KPP Utility before becoming Port Adelaides first AFL best and fairest as a centre half back.

His son Jackson is a different beast to his old man. A midfielder/forward with exceptional skills and defensive nous, he has played strong football at each level he has played over the past 2 years. He won the medal for BOG in the under 18 Grand Final for WWT last year, before showing good form for WWT at reserves level and winning All Australian selection at the U18 Championships.

His skills are what make him. He is arguably the best kick in the draft, knowing how to perfectly hit a leading target in the forward line with consistency and accuracy. He has that Darren Jarman esque kicking action where he can deliver a pass barely going over head height. His vision is elite and he can spot up targets in traffic by both hand and foot. You want the ball in his hands, because he makes things happen. At stoppages he is effective as a two way player. He can win clearances, but he is also good defensively, knowing how to position himself to block well, is a strong tackler and would make a decent tagger. Whilst he is slow and lacks agility - and that may hold him back a bit - he is an old school footballer and will no doubt become a cult hero like his old man.

Collingwood - Knightmare
Essendon - foj1
Fremantle - Chris25
Geelong - Snoop Dog
GWS - PMBangers
Hawthorn - Davo-27
Richmond - Pie 4 Life
Swans - AsterixTheGaul
St Kilda - Ysaye
WCE - Monocle

I tagged you for O'Neill and Comben profiles, need to sort Hilder then she's good

Genuinely surprised at the lack of mature aged guys still available. Only three (iirc) have been taken (Riccardi [20], Baker [21], Partington [22]).

Sokol should be given an opportunity. I still like Tyler Keitel as someone who continues to put runs on the board. From the VFL, Riley Bowman is an outstanding ruck/fwd prospect. Sam Lowson and Lochie Dickson from Coburg is still very impressive. Campbell Husthwaite from Collingwoods VFL side has been impressive as well.

With so many darts being thrown, surely some of these known quantities could be given an opportunity?

Think there were a few mature aged guys taken in the end. I know I took Elliot Dunkin and Kieren Parnell. But the mid season draft has weakened the pool a bit - guys like Michael Knoll, Lachlan Hosie, Kyle Dunkley, Mitch Riordan and John Noble all would have been drafted. So that's a decent chunk of players.

But otherwise, it's about the 'younger' guys who improve for me. Players like Jye Bolton and Haiden Schloithe just aren't AFL quality. It's like how Josh Deluca played a couple of games for Carlton and was delisted, you know what you're getting and it's not worth ruining the development of someone younger for. There's more to it than just stats. I think Tyler Keitel is in that basket now too. Whereas someone like Lochie Dickson may be older, but he's improving. Luke Partington and Mitch Hibberd were delisted, but improved and worked on their weaknesses.

And that's where guys like Elliot Dunkin, Brad Close and Cole Gerloff from the SANFL come into it too. Late developers with more potential improvement to come at the top level. Same as Jake Riccardi and Angus Baker. They're the ones who should be picked. The guys with potential to be around in more than 5 years. And the 19 year olds like Husthwaite, Jarvis Pina, Cody Hirst, Ryan Bennell, Matthew McGuinness, Keidean Coleman just to name a few.

Think there were a few mature aged guys taken in the end. I know I took Elliot Dunkin and Kieren Parnell. But the mid season draft has weakened the pool a bit - guys like Michael Knoll, Lachlan Hosie, Kyle Dunkley, Mitch Riordan and John Noble all would have been drafted. So that's a decent chunk of players.

But otherwise, it's about the 'younger' guys who improve for me. Players like Jye Bolton and Haiden Schloithe just aren't AFL quality. It's like how Josh Deluca played a couple of games for Carlton and was delisted, you know what you're getting and it's not worth ruining the development of someone younger for. There's more to it than just stats. I think Tyler Keitel is in that basket now too. Whereas someone like Lochie Dickson may be older, but he's improving. Luke Partington and Mitch Hibberd were delisted, but improved and worked on their weaknesses.

And that's where guys like Elliot Dunkin, Brad Close and Cole Gerloff from the SANFL come into it too. Late developers with more potential improvement to come at the top level. Same as Jake Riccardi and Angus Baker. They're the ones who should be picked. The guys with potential to be around in more than 5 years. And the 19 year olds like Husthwaite, Jarvis Pina, Cody Hirst, Ryan Bennell, Matthew McGuinness, Keidean Coleman just to name a few.

I think you're being very arbitrary there. Schloithe was delisted fairly young and was predominantly viewed as a forward pocket/flanker, but has since evolved into a midfielder and would likely play a role on the wing at AFL level. I don't know a lot about Bolton's career at Collingwood (just remember seeing him looking solid in a couple of pre-season games) and how he has evolved but it is fairly apparent that he's the best player in the competition and the most advanced midfielder I can see that's not on a list. Agree that not every club would be looking for a player of his age & type, but certainly think that most clubs could benefit with him being on the list at least. It's a long year.

I don't agree with Carlton delisting Deluca at all either, thought that was a weird decision given he played pretty well for them in the back end of the season. I do note that it looks likely they're just shifting him to the rookie list.

Good post / good read.

Some of the names I thought were a bit unlucky i guess were

Mitch Hibberd - genuinely seems to have gone away and improved his game in the areas he maybe was lacking in. Also developed some positional scope

Jesse Clark - Bit of an old school type but as much as the rookie is for the x factor type I still think its a great pathway for natural footballers who are seen to lack a standout attribute but just come into a team and play a role.

Cody Hirst - We need to remember how well he was going until he went north. I think he deserves another shot.

Baldi, Honey, Stapleton, Pretty, Isaac Wareham all players with some nice attributes but can see why they probably missed.

Some of the names I thought were a bit unlucky i guess were

Mitch Hibberd - genuinely seems to have gone away and improved his game in the areas he maybe was lacking in. Also developed some positional scope

Jesse Clark - Bit of an old school type but as much as the rookie is for the x factor type I still think its a great pathway for natural footballers who are seen to lack a standout attribute but just come into a team and play a role.

Cody Hirst - We need to remember how well he was going until he went north. I think he deserves another shot.

Baldi, Honey, Stapleton, Pretty, Isaac Wareham all players with some nice attributes but can see why they probably missed.

Something doesn't sit right with the Hirst situation. Why would Sydney recruit a wing/midfielder try to convert him into a small forward and then just give up on him entirely after only 6 months?

Maybe they saw something in the way he applied himself when given the opportunity that they didn't like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back