Roast Big Footy StKilda Worst and Ugliest Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the best and fairest are done and dusted with no huge surprises, but given the crappy season we had I propose the following awards be added.

The ELJAY "Worst and Ugliest" will be awarded to one of the winners of the below categories.

Now accepting nominations for :

The Clinton Jones kicking accuracy award. The "CJ"
Nominations to: Sam Gilbert. Jarryn Geary. Newnes.
Prize : A pair of footy shoes, both fitting the non-preferred foot.

The Aaron Fiora going in hard award. "The Fiona"
Nominations: Jack Newnes, Jack Billings. Nathan Wright.
Prize : A bag of Allens Marshmallows.

The Brent Guerra goal kicking award.
Nominations: Jack Billings. - Entire team.
Prize: A dartboard and darts.

The Raphael Clarke spatial awareness trophy.
Nominations : Blake Acres. David Armitage.
Prize: A hit in the back of the head.

Michael Rix rucking award.
Nominations: Billy Longer. Blake Acres.
A model of Howard Hugh's "Spruce Goose" ( an aircraft that was really big, but ultimately not much use).

The Fraser Gehrig retired on top Trophy.
Nominations: David Armitage, Sam Gilbert.
Prize: A 25 year old Schoolgirl. (if they want the winner can share the prize with the runner up ).

McQualter Dutch Shoe award. "The Clog"
Nominations: Nathan Wright 6 seasons 35 games, Darren Minchington 7 seasons 28 games.
Prize: A Box of Laxatives.

The Barry Brooks "1 hit wonder" award.
Nominations: Nathan Freeman.
Prize: An old 45rpm record "FLock of Seagulls - I Ran "

The Xavier Clarke - "Recovery Award"
Nominations : Freeman , Goddard.
Prize : A wheelchair with an X in the hub.

Runs for Miles Trophy ( Fast but not that good at footy ).
Nominations Nathan Wright. Daniel McKenzie.
Prize: An autographed photograph or Usain Bolt and a ticket to his first Soccer game.

The Ledger Legend ( He's going to be a star one day ).
Nominations : Freeman , Goddard.
One of Ledger's AFL awards.

The Tom Lynch -Banging on the Door in the VFL award.
Nominations: Brandon White. Nathan Freeman.
A full strength can of beer. ( the best part about the VFL ).

The Eddie Roberts - Strong in the Contest Trophy.
Nominations: Jarryn Geary. Nathan Wright
A really angry Canary.

The Caydn Beetham - "who gives a crap" trophy.
Nominations: Billy Longer.
Prize: cancelled due to lack of interest.

The Baker
Nominations : Nathan Brown, but ruled ineligible since his hit was too obvious and not painful enough.

The Brad Howard surprise draft choice award. ( Never heard of him before the draft and perhaps there's a reason why ).
No Nominations in 2017/2018.

The Leigh Montagna Burning Dwarf.
No nominations in the 2017/2018 Off season.

The Dean Polo exciting recruit trophy.
Logan Austin was nominated but he has done enough that the award will be withheld. Potential for next year. Dean Kent.

The Lovett Grenade.
Thankfully no nominations for the 2017/2018 off season.

The Tim Watson prize for coaching Excellence.
Nomination: Alan Richardson.
Prize : A set of wooden barbecue tools. ( Not quite a spoon this year ).

Other suggestions will be considered.

Last edited:

New proposals, the...
Fraser Gehrig retired at the right time award. - 2018 Nominees: Sam Gilbert, David Armitage. :prize: A 25 year old Schoolgirl.
McQualter dutch shoe award : - 2018 Nominee's, Darren Minchington ( 7 seasons 28 games ) , Wright ( 6 seasons 35 games ) :prize: A box of Laxatives.

The Clinton Jones kicking accuracy award. Sam Gilbert
The Aaron Fiora hard at the contest award. Jack Newnes
The Brent Guerra goal kicking award. Jack Billings
The Raphael Clarke spatial awareness trophy. Blake Acres
and the ever popular Michael Rix rucking award. Billy Longer

Those are good nominations.
So far the prizes are :
The CJ: A matching pair of left hand side footy shoes.
The Fiora: A bag of Allens Marshmallows.
The Guerra: A dartboard and darts.
The Raph: A hardhat and padded jumpsuit.
The Rix : A scale model of Howard Hugh's "Spruce Goose"

how bout the Spencer White/Tommy Walsh/ Fergus Watts/ Barry Brooks one game wonder award ?- Nathan Freeman easily the winner

Yeah Luke Miles in there as well I think.

He wins a vintage vinyl record . "Flock of Seagulls, I Ran "

R-3232126-1321550012.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah Luke Miles in there as well I think.

He wins a vintage vinyl record . "Flock of Seagulls, I Ran "

R-3232126-1321550012.jpeg.jpg
to be honest that list was sadly very very very long without having to stretch my memory that hard .. Miles , Ledger, Johnson, Archer, Ferguson, Begley, Winmar, Howard, Smith x2 , Hyne, Pattison, Allen........

to be honest that list was sadly very very very long without having to stretch my memory that hard .. Miles , Ledger, Johnson, Archer, Ferguson, Begley, Winmar, Howard, Smith x2 , Hyne, Pattison, Allen........

Miles got 2 games. Maybe we can have a "Runs for Miles " trophy, fast but useless, Nominee, Nathan Wright.
Forgot about Johnson and Archer.
Fergason long term rookie.
Begley had already played 27 games for Brisbane.
Nick Winmar got 2. Nick Won the "Brad Howard surprise draft choice" award in 2009. No nominations this year. ( Ben Long got it last year ).
Heyne got 3
Pattison got 5 games, taking out the "Rix" in 2010.

Thankfully this year we have no nominations for the Lovett Grenade. Carlisle won it the year we drafted him.

The "Ledger Legend" award for player who will be great one day, Freeman and Goddard get the nomination for that one too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about...

The SH*T Season Award!

Nominations are: St Kilda FC

The Winner: St Kilda FC

That's kind of short and hard and not within the spirit of these awards.
Saints had some remarkable achievements.
3rd in the Handball contest, not just on the ground but also in shifting the blame.
2nd in the Uncontested Possession contest. Each player gets a signed photograph of Fiona.
2nd in Disposal Efficiency........seriously? That's where they were "TRYING" to kick it?
4th for Bouncing the ball. Bounce bounce bounce, basketballers call it dribbling, so they all share a jar of spit for a prize.

It doesn't matter that we were bottom or close to it for other useless crap like hitouts, clearances, rebounds, inside 50's and tackles , goal accuracy , and goals, because we're good at handballing it accurately to a guy who will bounce it before missing a goal.

Our ladder position sums up our season regardless of how we look at stats. Cellar dwellers. Let's hope 2019 sees us get real about success.

Miles got 2 games. Maybe we can have a "Runs for Miles " trophy, fast but useless, Nominee, Nathan Wright.
Forgot about Johnson and Archer.
Fergason long term rookie.
Begley had already played 27 games for Brisbane.
Nick Winmar got 2. Nick Won the "Brad Howard surprise draft choice" award in 2009. No nominations this year. ( Ben Long got it last year ).
Heyne got 3
Pattison got 5 games, taking out the "Rix" in 2010.

Thankfully this year we have no nominations for the Lovett Grenade. Carlisle won it the year we drafted him.

The "Ledger Legend" award for player who will be great one day, Freeman and Goddard get the nomination for that one too.
hahaha i know Luke ill tell him he has an award named after him he will be stoked :)

The Nick Maxwell award for getting picked in an AFL side based on an ability that has nothing to do with playing football: Jarryn Geary
The Cadyn Beetham award for not giving a F***: Billy Longer
The Mark McGough award for 5+ years in the system for one okay game: Lewis Pierce
The Aaron Black award for surviving on an AFL list despite not being good at football: Nathan Wright
The Tom Lynch award for consistently playing well in the twos but not getting picked: Brandon White (by a nose over Bailey Rice and Jack Lonie)
The Raph Clarke award for consistently playing sh*t in the ones but never getting dropped: Mav Weller (by a nose over Jack Newnes)
The Fraser Gherig award for going one year too long: David Armitage
The Justin Koschitzke award for a high draft pick key forward with concussion issues but loads of potential: Paddy McCartin
The Jessie Smith award for being on an AFL list despite having the body of an 80yo man: Nathan Freeman for the third year running
and finally ...
The REAL Trevor Barker award for making St.Kilda watchable despite us having a crap coach and the team getting belted consistently: Jade Gresham

The Nick Maxwell award for getting picked in an AFL side based on an ability that has nothing to do with playing football: Jarryn Geary
The Cadyn Beetham award for not giving a F***: Billy Longer
The Mark McGough award for 5+ years in the system for one okay game: Lewis Pierce
The Aaron Black award for surviving on an AFL list despite not being good at football: Nathan Wright
The Tom Lynch award for consistently playing well in the twos but not getting picked: Brandon White (by a nose over Bailey Rice and Jack Lonie)
The Raph Clarke award for consistently playing sh*t in the ones but never getting dropped: Mav Weller (by a nose over Jack Newnes)
The Fraser Gherig award for going one year too long: David Armitage
The Justin Koschitzke award for a high draft pick key forward with concussion issues but loads of potential: Paddy McCartin
The Jessie Smith award for being on an AFL list despite having the body of an 80yo man: Nathan Freeman for the third year running
and finally ...
The REAL Trevor Barker award for making St.Kilda watchable despite us having a crap coach and the team getting belted consistently: Jade Gresham

Dude we can't name any of our awards after players from other clubs.
I already had the Gehrig Retirement award , nominee's Armo and Gilbert.

hahaha i know Luke ill tell him he has an award named after him he will be stoked :)

I was pretty pissed when we de-listed him to be honest, thought he had potential when not many on the list did, but i think he had injury concerns in the WAFL the following season anyway. He did win the grand final sprint for us though.

The Tom Curren award for way too many years on a list: Minchington.

Tom Ledger “just play him in the guts FFS” award: Blake Acres.

Gilbert has to get the Fraser Gehrig. A hurling Irishman went past him this year.

Any nominations for the “really strong in the contest” award which of course would be handed out by Richo.

The Tom Curren award for way too many years on a list: Minchington.

Tom Ledger “just play him in the guts FFS” award: Blake Acres.

Gilbert has to get the Fraser Gehrig. A hurling Irishman went past him this year.

Any nominations for the “really strong in the contest” award which of course would be handed out by Richo.

Curren joined the team the same year as Minchington, so he doesn't get the honour of naming it.
I called it the McQualter, a guy who was added to the rookie list for his second time, the same time as Curren and Minchington.
McQualter was drafted, delisted after 3 , rookied, promoted, delisted after 3 years then rookied again for a total of 8 years with the club.

The Eddy Roberts memorial "strong in the contest" trophy. There are a number of nominee's for this award, but the coach should make the decision. The winner gets a lifelike photograph of Robbie Eddison's head on a stick.

The "Baker" will not be issued this season. The best nomination "Nathan Brown" was far to obvious, and didn't show enough finesse to deserve the award. The prize, a footy show with stops sharpened to points, will be held over until a deserving recipient is found.

Last edited:
I was pretty pissed when we de-listed him to be honest, thought he had potential when not many on the list did, but i think he had injury concerns in the WAFL the following season anyway. He did win the grand final sprint for us though.
he now coaches a private school boys under 16's team here in Perth and lets everyone of his players know he won the Grand final sprint :)
real nice guy , if you ask him he was honestly shocked he got picked by the saints as he thought it was a million to one shot ... he loved every second of it but knew pretty early on his skills were a fair way off the guys he was in the team with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back