Big forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon next year is a big year to check out whether anyone on our list can be the heir apparent to Roughy.

So far candidates are Schoey, Tyrone and Timmy O

Other possibilities are playing two rucks again - see Ceglar and Pitto

Yes there are exciting free agents in 2019 but such players should be the pressure context for the above to pull their weight

I really miss contested marks in our fwd 50. Of course good entries assist here but I have been a little frustrated recently by forwards fumbling deep in the fwd 50.

Maybe they were used to Cyril grabbing it at their feet.

Roughy seems to have found form in the last couple of weeks which was heartening

Thoughts?

Last edited:
In the right team Tom Lynch would be an absolute weapon that would destroy opposition. 2019 should see the Hawks ready for another assault at silverware. The addition of Lynch if the price is right (premiership carrot) would definitely make the team much more formidable to any opposition. Our recruiting staff should be in his ear as often as possible to get him to Hawthorn.

I mentioned versatility in a post yesterday, I think this is really important.

I’m not a TV hater, I actually thought his recruitment was a sound decision based on a number of gaps with our list at that time last year, but I don’t see TV having much of a future at the Hawks. I would love to be proven wrong, but I don’t think he is versatile enough, and if he couldn’t make it this year with all the injuries we have experienced I have little hope he will make it next year. Despite this, Burton, Sic, Timmy O all have the ability to play both ends of the ground take marks and kick goals. I also hope that Mitchell (Hodgey) Lewis develops into a decent player over the next couple of seasons.

Roughy was getting back into some great form towards the back end of the season, a longer break and another pre-season will do wonders for him and many in our team.

The game is moving away from the traditional big forwards so I would rather us not get any of them.

I don't believe this is true, the game always "moves away" from certain things - but it seems to make its way back there in the end. Ben Brown's form this year indicates that the role is alive and well.

Ceglar is our best tap ruckman. As good as TOB or Shoe up forward. Cegs plays, TOB and Shoe back to Box Hill and Gunston returns to the forward line.

You keep saying that Ceglar is our best tap ruck, but in 2016 he had a lot more hit outs get sharked by the opposition than McEvoy did. In fact, if I remember right, McEvoy had the least hit outs sharked by percentage of any of the top rucks.

Ceglar post knee reconstruction will struggle to get back in the side, he wasn't overly mobile before the surgery so I'm not sure what he'll offer afterwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our entries into the forward line was poor this year and we must get better and hitting the lead up forward on the chest.

We need the big blokes to starting taking the high contested marks so Cyril and the other small forwards have the confidence to stay down but at the moment Cyril and Poppy are the one flying for marks and that cost as big time losing Cyril for the year.

I don't understand how we can pin point our passes all over the ground on a regular basis but when it comes to forward entries they mess it up

Last edited:
I mentioned versatility in a post yesterday, I think this is really important.

I’m not a TV hater, I actually thought his recruitment was a sound decision based on a number of gaps with our list at that time last year, but I don’t see TV having much of a future at the Hawks. I would love to be proven wrong, but I don’t think he is versatile enough, and if he couldn’t make it this year with all the injuries we have experienced I have little hope he will make it next year. Despite this, Burton, Sic, Timmy O all have the ability to play both ends of the ground take marks and kick goals. I also hope that Mitchell (Hodgey) Lewis develops into a decent player over the next couple of seasons.

Roughy was getting back into some great form towards the back end of the season, a longer break and another pre-season will do wonders for him and many in our team.
Loving that nickname right there

Ceglar is our best tap ruckman. As good as TOB or Shoe up forward. Cegs plays, TOB and Shoe back to Box Hill and Gunston returns to the forward line.

I may be in the minority but I would rather see Gunston providing leadership down back, pushing up to kick goals. My opinion may change next year once we have our key defenders back. I would rather see Burton moved from the backline to play more time in the centre and forward.

I think Timmy O will stay in the side and play predominately in the forward half. Schoey will probably always be a depth player that fills a role covering injuries. Cegs may or may not get back to some decent form, but Big Boy has been huge this year and I would rather others assisting with back up ruck duties, especially if the option was a Cegs over Timmy O.

Casboult

Lol jks Lynch. There is really no point going for anyone else, eggs should almost all be in that basket. Otherwise see how guys like schache/weideman are going in 12 months time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back