Big forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved Hale good footballer and cracking bloke, but to say he was our big forward isn't accurate. He was our ruck, who could also play forward. He averaged under a goal a game, not even remotely comparable to the 'big forwards' that have been referenced. For that matter his statistics don't even remotely match great small forwards. In 2016 Cegs kicked 14 goals, Hale kicked 18 in 2015.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hale was a Forward / Ruck not the other way around. He became better at the Ruck game thanks to Monkey

The lack of a clear Roughead replacement is the biggest issue on the list IMO. Guys like Lynch, Brown and Casboult all have their strengths but Clarko wants someone with more flexibility. Someone mentioned Darcy Moore (and they were probably joking) but he's the type of player we'd need to replace Roughy. I think he has that versatility/athelticism to play a few roles.

People have vastly different memories of Hale, including me. I remember him as the get out of jail card where we would bomb it long and he'd assist in bringing it down to ground for our mosquito squad. I remember most of his goals came from smart hit up leads rather than the contested marking side. I dont think we have ever relied on having a contested marking setup. We'd hold onto the ball until we hit up a forward in space.

Lynch is the man to replace Roughy, we're going to have to get into a bidding war because there is going to be a long line for his services. We don't have a history of getting into bidding wars...this is going to have to be the one exception.

Last edited:

The lack of a clear Roughead replacement is the biggest issue on the list IMO. Guys like Lynch, Brown and Casboult all have their strengths but Clarko wants someone with more flexibility. Someone mentioned Darcy Moore (and they were probably joking) but he's the type of player we'd need to replace Roughy. I think he has that versatility/athelticism to play a few roles.

I want someone that can kick 50+ goals, every team in the top has one pretty much.

The best big forward from recent drafts was Reece McKenzie. The guys hands were like a steel trap... nothing escaped his grasp. It was klunk after klunk after klunk...never a fumble or juggle.

After being selected by Richmond Reece said anxiety consumed him and so he quit... with a promise to come back.

Maybe, just maybe, Reece has arrested his demons. If he got AFL fit, he could be Casbolt with better skills... which would be scary.

Put him in the backline and he could be an unbreakable wall.

I remember I had him as my 2nd round pick in the Phantom draft that year. Egg on my face.

But s**t he was a gun at that level. At least when he was on.

I would like to add another developing tall for depth, consistent structure & overhead marking capabilities that isn't abruckman.

Matthew Hammelmann

I think if he is gettable we fire the shot now as he will be costing an arm & a leg in 18-24 months

I remember I had him as my 2nd round pick in the Phantom draft that year. Egg on my face.

But s**t he was a gun at that level. At least when he was on.

Absolute headcase. Cannot imagine Richmond treating a person that poorly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like we really need to put aside our propensity to not let players physically develop and put TO on a solid strength routine. He simply has not put on enough weight since he was drafted. He's quite a pacey player too so he should still be explosive even if he did put on some KGs.
club tried that with Bud and Schoey, damaged Schoey big time, stuffed Bud up a bit as well

Note, Box Hill has moved Conor Nash from the backline forward. He could be our next telling full forward.We have lead the way with full forwards since John Peck won the goalkicking three years running in 1963/4/5, right up to 2013 when Big Rough won the Colemen.

Nash has just turned 19, is listed as 197cm and 94 kg, and is very athletic. Hopefully I will be able to stream the final on Sunday to see how the kid performs.

club tried that with Bud and Schoey, damaged Schoey big time, stuffed Bud up a bit as well

I understand that to some extent you're either a solid key forward or you're not, but I wouldn't shy away from it just because of Schoey's ACL. Strength training is more likely to cause soft tissue injuries than ligament damage, that was more of a freak accident.

You have to agree, he needs some more size to crash packs.

Note, Box Hill has moved Conor Nash from the backline forward. He could be our next telling full forward.We have lead the way with full forwards since John Peck won the goalkicking three years running in 1963/4/5, right up to 2013 when Big Rough won the Colemen.

Nash has just turned 19, is listed as 197cm and 94 kg, and is very athletic. Hopefully I will be able to stream the final on Sunday to see how the kid performs.

Forward craft is hard to learn, so the international guys don't always end up as great key forwards. Shame though, they're such good kicks. Fingers crossed for Conor!

Yep, a few more kilos would not go astray. He crashed a few packs this year, and either clunked it or brought it to ground, he just needs to do it more often.
Read an article a good year or so ago about him, and he said himself he just can't put it on - doing all he can (legally) to get bigger, but just not happening.

If Nash can pick the game up as fast as Glass has, then I'd hope he can be a big and powerful forward for us. From what I've seen of him, he's not slow, either.

TOB is not going to be the next Roughy. He may well carve out a solid career, but not as a Roughead type. Playing a second ruck isn't really an option unless that player is really a forward who can also ruck like Hale.

I also think Roughead has a good few more years in him.

If Nash can pick the game up as fast as Glass has, then I'd hope he can be a big and powerful forward for us. From what I've seen of him, he's not slow, either.

TOB is not going to be the next Roughy. He may well carve out a solid career, but not as a Roughead type. Playing a second ruck isn't really an option unless that player is really a forward who can also ruck like Hale.

I also think Roughead has a good few more years in him.

Nash would be one of the fastest blokes at Hawthorn.

Read an article a good year or so ago about him, and he said himself he just can't put it on - doing all he can (legally) to get bigger, but just not happening.
Yeah some people are like that, just can't put bulk on, others apparently look sideways at the weights and put on size.

Yeah some people are like that, just can't put bulk on, others apparently look sideways at the weights and put on size.

Paul Puopolo is our single very obvious example. The bloke is a ball of muscle in a club that doesn't focus on the strength in strength and conditioning nearly as much as others.

I don't quite get how people can't put it on if their workload and caloric intake are on point. I put on size even when I only do body-weight exercise and drop heavy weights altogether.

Having said that, I can't run for s**t.

I remember Mark Graham was the same. Couldn't bulk up to save himself.

On the other hand, apparently Schoey is one of those who just has to look at a barbell and on the size goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back