Big Grand Final losses

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Teams losing Grand Finals by big margins often slide down the ladder the next season.
Melbourne 2000 (Lost by 60 to Essendon) - missed finals, finished 11th
Collingwood 2003 (Lost by 50 to Brisbane), missed finals, finished 13th
Brisbane 2004 (Lost by 40 to Port Adelaide), missed finals, finished 11th
Port 2007 (Lost by 119 to Geelong) - missed finals, finished 13th
St Kilda 2010 (Drew GF, Lost Replay by 56 to Collingwood) 6th home and away season, lost EF to Sydney
West Coast 2015 (Lost by 46 to Hawthorn) - 6th home and away season, lost EF to Bulldogs
Adelaide 2017 (Lost by 48 to Richmond) - Currently 6-6 on ladder and sitting in 10th after shock loss to Fremantle in Perth.

There's a difference between falling just short and getting really found out and pantsed on the big day. The latter destroys morale: 'We have to climb that mountain all over again and might still get embarrassed.'

This season was always going to be either a glorious triumph or a huge let-down for the Crows. Unfortunately it's the latter.

When you make a grand final it seems like the world of opportunity is at your feet. It never seems like this will be your only shot, but it often is.

Bulldogs won and slid down, so ya know, anything can happen.

GF margins are not close that often.
Once a team gets on top, it seems like it starts a cycle where they can't do wrong and the other team gives up almost.
Whether that carries through mentally the next year, I don't think so, or not a lot anyhow. A lot of other factors involved.

This is the greatest stat ever.

Did you know that some side who lose a grand final go on to 3-peat?

- Hawthorn lost 2012 GF and then won 2013-2015.

Slightly back on topic - do you have any reasons for this totally bullshit anomaly? Injuries, personnel changes? No? Just bullshit? K
I wouldn’t call a 10 point loss a big loss.

As for reasons, losing a GF by a large margin is probably not great for your mind. A lot of players may be carrying the burden of extremely poor performances when it mattered most, and this won’t help their performance.

Mental scarring and embarrassment too I'd say.

In Adelaide's case this is likely made worse by the media attention garnered from their cringeworthy POWERSTANCE!!! baloney and Taylor's hissy fit about the Lever trade.

Good times.

I think the 2000 loss still effects Melbourne. Haven't finished higher then 5th and only won one final since.
Can't ever see us being that bad.

I'm not sure if it's "cause and effect" though.

For example, it could be that if you got flogged in a GF, then you were lucky to get there in the first place: good draw, injury-free run, win a lot of 50-50 games, etc. The following season maybe your luck runs out and you're back in the pack again.

Or in the case of Brisbane 2004 and to a lesser extent St Kilda 2010, it's because you've squeezed every last possible drop from the orange, and the following season begins your natural decline or active rebuilding phase.

I think the 2000 loss still effects Melbourne. Haven't finished higher then 5th and only won one final since.
Can't ever see us being that bad.
Sorry, but you already are. In Melbournes case it was an outstanding effort to make it in a year that was a one off only one winner season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong 1994 lost by 80 then made the GF again in 1995. And lost by 61.

Thanks for that Scotty!

Was it really 80 points in 94? I had managed to forget it.

Geelong were two goals up at half time in 92 and lost by 28.

On a side note- do fans of losing GF teams ever re-watch the match afterwards?

I don't think I've ever seen 1991 (was only 7) and have zero interest in watching 2005 or 2015 again.

Something like 2009 I could watch again but then I don't have a vested interest.

I've never 're-lived' 1992, 1994, 1995 or 2008.

Haven't even done 1989- a match for which hawthorn were unbackable favourites and won by a goal

Anyone here watched a losing GF again?

With how drunk I was by the end, not sure if I've watched one in its entirety in first place

Though I do know for sure I was still sitting in my chair when the final siren went but then I went outside straight after

The final siren of the season at least ended it!

I've never seen anything from the last quarter of the 2012 grand final since the day it happened. Aside from the unavoidable replays of the match winning goal.
Have managed to watch highlights of our third quarter charge though. If only we had won. Would be been the true definition of 'premiership quarter' Just like 08 was.

I've never seen anything from the last quarter of the 2012 grand final since the day it happened. Aside from the unavoidable replays of the match winning goal.
Have managed to watch highlights of our third quarter charge though. If only we had won. Would be been the true definition of 'premiership quarter' Just like 08 was.
If you had won 2012, perhaps you wouldn't have won the next three...
I have always thought that the cats managed to win 2009 because of the defeat in 2008.

Anyone here watched a losing GF again?
I have watched 1989 and 1992 in their entirety to see what went wrong, but I was too young to watch them live. Never bothered with 94 or 95. Did watch the first half of 2008 on FOXTEL one day but had to go out before it finished. Don't know if I could have.

I am a fan of Hawthorn losing Grand Finals though, so I have rewatched 2012 again.

Thanks for that Scotty!

Was it really 80 points in 94? I had managed to forget it.

Geelong were two goals up at half time in 92 and lost by 28.

On a side note- do fans of losing GF teams ever re-watch the match afterwards?
Fkkk no wash your mouth out

As a really horrible prank a couple of years ago i had a mate - not internet savvy ask me for a thumb drive with the 2006 granny on it

I put the 2005 granny on it and edited the obvious bits with 2005 out of it - hes a casual enough eagles fan that he didnt twig till the end.

He was absolutely filthy on me

Teams losing Grand Finals by big margins often slide down the ladder the next season.
Melbourne 2000 (Lost by 60 to Essendon) - missed finals, finished 11th
Collingwood 2003 (Lost by 50 to Brisbane), missed finals, finished 13th
Brisbane 2004 (Lost by 40 to Port Adelaide), missed finals, finished 11th
Port 2007 (Lost by 119 to Geelong) - missed finals, finished 13th
St Kilda 2010 (Drew GF, Lost Replay by 56 to Collingwood) 6th home and away season, lost EF to Sydney
West Coast 2015 (Lost by 46 to Hawthorn) - 6th home and away season, lost EF to Bulldogs
Adelaide 2017 (Lost by 48 to Richmond) - Currently 6-6 on ladder and sitting in 10th after shock loss to Fremantle in Perth.

Pretty sure all of them had the following seasons wrecked by injuries to key players, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back