Big Grand Final losses

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't even done 1989- a match for which hawthorn were unbackable favourites and won by a goal

If you watch it, you'll learn that it's one of the most overrated contests of all time, and the final margin flatters Geelong greatly. Hawthorn were comfortably in control most of the day, up by 6 goals at every change.

Pretty sure all of them had the following seasons wrecked by injuries to key players, too.

The Lions had a horror injury run in 2005.

We lost Nic Naitanui in the penultimate game of the home and away season in 2016 to an ACL causing him to miss the finals and the whole of last season.

Fkkk no wash your mouth out

As a really horrible prank a couple of years ago i had a mate - not internet savvy ask me for a thumb drive with the 2006 granny on it

I put the 2005 granny on it and edited the obvious bits with 2005 out of it - hes a casual enough eagles fan that he didnt twig till the end.

He was absolutely filthy on me
Hilarious.

If you watch it, you'll learn that it's one of the most overrated contests of all time, and the final margin flatters Geelong greatly. Hawthorn were comfortably in control most of the day, up by 6 goals at every change.
True - ish. But There was always a chance ablett would hit double figures and the cats win.

I've never 're-lived' 1992, 1994, 1995 or 2008.

Haven't even done 1989- a match for which hawthorn were unbackable favourites and won by a goal

Anyone here watched a losing GF again?

I mean....1989, 94 and 95 we were rank underdogs, I remember going in hoping to win but not expecting to.

In 1992 we s**t the bed in the Semi Final, playing West Coast in Melbourne and losing. From that point, I almost kind of accepted that it wasn't going to be.

2008 was the one that hurt, although we "made up" for it in 2009 and 2011, so even that one is not such a big deal anymore.

We were firm underdogs in both 1997 and 1998 - 1998 moreso - and came from behind to win both times. Then we were firm favourites going into last year's grand final. My head said '70-30 in our favour' but my heart said 'no way are we losing this one'. We lost.

Swings and roundabouts.

We were firm underdogs in both 1997 and 1998 - 1998 moreso - and came from behind to win both times. Then we were firm favourites going into last year's grand final. My head said '70-30 in our favour' but my heart said 'no way are we losing this one'. We lost.

Swings and roundabouts.
Might still win next year.

Thanks for that Scotty!

Was it really 80 points in 94? I had managed to forget it.

Geelong were two goals up at half time in 92 and lost by 28.

On a side note- do fans of losing GF teams ever re-watch the match afterwards?
I’ve watched 2002 probably a dozen times. It was a ridiculously spirited effort that im so proud of.

2003 on the other hand I watched out of boredom in the London winter for the first time January just gone. Just to see exactly how deplorable we were that day as an adult rather than with any real desire to watch it as a game of football in itself.

I've re-watched the 2015 grand final up until Jack drops 'that chest mark' in the third quarter when we were making a bit of a charge after half time. That really took the wind out of our sails that day as Hawthorn rebounded to kick a goal and you just knew that game was finished there and then. It was too painful to continue.

Even though it hurts, sometimes it's nice to reflect on the players who played that day and how much of a successful year with memorable wins that was. of course, nothing beats winning a Grand final but a lot of fans have never seen their team make it to a GF so it's pretty special to see your team be good enough to make it to a 50/50 chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve watched 2002 probably a dozen times. It was a ridiculously spirited effort that im so proud of.

2003 on the other hand I watched out of boredom in the London winter for the first time January just gone. Just to see exactly how deplorable we were that day as an adult rather than with any real desire to watch it as a game of football in itself.
An interesting exercise - so it took fifteen years to be able to revisit it? I am sort of interested in watching 08, maybe five more years!

An interesting exercise - so it took fifteen years to be able to revisit it? I am sort of interested in watching 08, maybe five more years!
It took fifteen years for me to have any desire to revisit it.

You aren’t really going to be in a rush to watch a rubbish game where you are completely comprehensively outclassed and bullied by your opponents.

I basically watched it out of boredom and to see how it departed from my recollection of it as an 11 year old.

What I want to know is this - can people bring themselves to watch finals that got them to a losing grand final (especially a disappointing loss)?

I enjoy watching all our finals from last year, it's actually hard to say which one I enjoy more. But I reckon if we'd lost the Grand Final I couldn't stand to watch them (especially the prelim). Just the thoughts of what might've been would kill me I reckon. Interested to here if that's what its like.

I've re-watched the 2015 grand final up until Jack drops 'that chest mark' in the third quarter when we were making a bit of a charge after half time. That really took the wind out of our sails that day as Hawthorn rebounded to kick a goal and you just knew that game was finished there and then. It was too painful to continue.

Even though it hurts, sometimes it's nice to reflect on the players who played that day and how much of a successful year with memorable wins that was. of course, nothing beats winning a Grand final but a lot of fans have never seen their team make it to a GF so it's pretty special to see your team be good enough to make it to a 50/50 chance.
Agreed - I was just so ******* relieved to see the Crows in a grand final after nearly 20 years. I've watched the first quarter of the 2017 grand final a few times (and, oddly, even bits of the following three quarters. That's my coping mechanism - it desensitises me to the loss).

What I want to know is this - can people bring themselves to watch finals that got them to a losing grand final (especially a disappointing loss)?

I enjoy watching all our finals from last year, it's actually hard to say which one I enjoy more. But I reckon if we'd lost the Grand Final I couldn't stand to watch them (especially the prelim). Just the thoughts of what might've been would kill me I reckon. Interested to here if that's what its like.
For me personally, strangely enough I actually prefer watching highlights packages of you beating us in the GF than our QF and PF.

It's a little bit painful to relive that feeling of believing that 'yes, we are going to go all the way this time'. Especially the final quarter of the prelim - that carnival atmosphere, that sense of going into the GF as favourites and knowing that all those celebrations were rendered useless a week later. But that first quarter of the GF was really fun while it lasted.

I can’t even watch games from the SEASONS that Hawthorn lost the GF. I get no enjoyment from reliving matches when I know that it is all going to s**t in the end.

Not with the same sense as watching finals from other seasons. It does take the gloss off quite a bit. The 2015 finals don't have the same shine (I really savoured the QF win, didn't think we'd pull that off) after the GF. Will watch clips of the games, though. 2018 does make it a bit easier to look back, though.

Same with the 2005 finals. The last quarter of the QF is a cracker but really couldn't look back at it until after the 2006 GF. Still never re-watched the 2006 QF loss, though, even though I bought the Victory Pack and have a DVD of it. I even asked a friend of mine at the time who had the Sydney pack if he wanted to swap the QF discs. :p Shame he declined.

I can’t even watch games from the SEASONS that Hawthorn lost the GF. I get no enjoyment from reliving matches when I know that it is all going to s**t in the end.

Yeah, I get that too. It does feel like a waste of a year. Although I can look back after some time has passed.

Funny thing is watching finals or games from non-Grand Final years is incredibly enjoyable. A Grand Final loss really does sour things.

Essendon 1983 (Lost by 83 points to Hawthorn) - finished first, defeated Hawthorn in the 1984 Grand Final by 24 points.
Hawthorn 1985 (Lost by 78 points to Essendon) - finished first, defeated Carlton in the 1986 Grand Final by 42 points.

It was early in the eigties, but I reckon those two teams assumed they would make grand finals and didn't accept less. no fancy psycho babble just hate filled rivalry.

Alan Joyce got the arse in '93 for finishing half a win and <3% off top spot. they had demolished the 1993 premiers by 160 in '92 (lost by 30 in '93)

'84 SF v essendon on fox last night. Commentators raving about this new kid Dipierdominico. Also new kid Langford laid out Vanderharr (he must have hated hawthorn) commentator after a few little 'fracas' said "what happened there" other commentator "long memories mate"

Fkkk no wash your mouth out

As a really horrible prank a couple of years ago i had a mate - not internet savvy ask me for a thumb drive with the 2006 granny on it

I put the 2005 granny on it and edited the obvious bits with 2005 out of it - hes a casual enough eagles fan that he didnt twig till the end.

He was absolutely filthy on me

They reckoned Fox who arent allowed to broadcast Grand final went with the 2005 one in 2006. Apparently lots of people watched and thought it was the real thing (eagles v sydney)

Port was competitive in 2007 for the first 10 mins.... what a s**t show that was. My darkest day as a fan.... Little did i know things would get far worse. Makes you appreciate when things start looking up.

was at a party and the hostess organizes sweeps for each quarter etc. By the end she just 'forgot' that idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back