Prediction Big Improvers for 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Greenwood is a big improver. I've been impressed with what I've seen from him in the SANFL, especially his competitiveness. He's got a real chance with 2 rookie upgrades available with CEY on the long-term injury list.

I hope Greenwood is a big improver. I've been impressed with what I've seen from him in the SANFL, especially his competitiveness. He's got a real chance with 2 rookie upgrades available with CEY on the long-term injury list.
Don't we have three upgrades available? Isn't Sam shaw on the LTI list? And we have a spare list spot too?

Vader is usually all over this stuff.

I watched the first half of JLT 3 last night again.
Hampton has some moves and was doing good work inside.
So considering he's basically relearning this role after being stuck in the back lines at GWS, I can see him being a gun this year if he stays on the park.
Who knows if Brads ever going to be a decent player.

Don't we have three upgrades available? Isn't Sam shaw on the LTI list? And we have a spare list spot too?

Vader is usually all over this stuff.
Shaw a rookie no upgrade there,
Currently, have 2 spots (1 to make 40 and CEY) with a third spot opening up after the bye AFL rules.
However, some are saying the EBA could change that, but the word I have heard no changes to the rookie system this season but change for the 2018 season ie no Cat A rookies but a playing list of 44.

Hampton, Milera, McGovern. But based on PS form, they're kinda obvious.

Greenwood will get games, which is a massive improvement on where he was at last season.

I'm gonna back in Gallucci to have really improved by year's end, and to be in the 22

Milera - wins contests, uses the ball well, lightening fast...will singlehandedly win us games

McGovern - will be more consistently involved in our wing link up play. I'm sticking with my Tredrea comparison.

Atkins - will slice up teams who don't tag him

Greenwood - from novice to AFL standard

Hampton - contested beast. Alongside Sloane, Milera and Cameron we should have much better midfield defensive this year.

Brodie Smith - last 2 JLT were back to 2014 levels. Would love to see what he can do with a concussion free run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide need multiple big improvements just to tread water.

And the biggest needs to come from the coaching box in the second half of the season.

The first half wouldn't hurt either, the coaches just need to find a way to neutralize the teams with the strongest midfields.

The best thing about Don Pyke was his ability to make some changes last season after the Western Bulldogs and Home Geelong game, we were completely dismantled and our efficiency kept us in it. The problems is the only other games we lost were against probably the 3 of the 4 best midfields going around in West Coast, Geelong (I hate KP) and Sydney (I really hate the SCG). We struggled a bit against Collingwood too.

I think we just need good seasons from our core players who aren't in our top 6.

Douglas
McKay
Thompson ( he is still in our best 22 IMO)
Mrouch
Smith
Brown

and these blokes to actually play games.

Knight
Milera (I get super excited every time he sidesteps someone)
Menzel
Brouch

So just general organic growth across the board
Given the age profile of our squad, we have more players who are on the incline than stagnant or on the decline. There will always be unexpected loss of form too.

Players who are probably on the decline:
Thommo

Players whose performance is likely to be similar:
Betts
Sloane
Mackay
Talia
Lynch
Jacobs
Laird
Smith
Jenkins (though has improved every year)

Players who have significant improvement in them:
B Crouch (injury free the key)
M Crouch (more tank)
Atkins (more tank)
Cameron (more tank)
Hampton (injury free)
Knight (injury free)
Lever (AA potential)
McGovern (AA potential)
Milera (stronger body)
Menzel (AFL fit)
Walker (injury free)
Douglas (based on restricted 2016 form)
Brown (injury free)
Hartigan (still young in AFL terms)

Now not all of these players will improve this year, but we don't need too much across the board to improve as a team.

Given the age profile of our squad, we have more players who are on the incline than stagnant or on the decline. There will always be unexpected loss of form too.

Players who are probably on the decline:
Thommo

Players whose performance is likely to be similar:
Betts
Sloane
Mackay
Talia
Lynch
Jacobs
Laird
Smith
Jenkins (though has improved every year)

Players who have significant improvement in them:
B Crouch (injury free the key)
M Crouch (more tank)
Atkins (more tank)
Cameron (more tank)
Hampton (injury free)
Knight (injury free)
Lever (AA potential)
McGovern (AA potential)
Milera (stronger body)
Menzel (AFL fit)
Walker (injury free)
Douglas (based on restricted 2016 form)
Brown (injury free)
Hartigan (still young in AFL terms)

Now not all of these players will improve this year, but we don't need too much across the board to improve as a team.
With a relatively fit squad, this could be the first year we put 22 very capable afl footballers on the park at the one time. (Assuming Mackay gets the arse after a few rounds.)

We have always had a few plodders filling spots or rookies being blooded.

Adelaide need multiple big improvements just to tread water.

And the biggest needs to come from the coaching box in the second half of the season.
I agree to an extent. The majority of our squad have improvement in them, even guys like Sloane and Talia.

For mine I hope we see the biggest improvement in guys like Hampton, Cameron, Milera and co.

I'll go with those guys, Menzel and Polhoke who I believe will be the steal of the draft.

It works to his advantage that finals are not included in the count, I'll give you that.
Ouch, but fair call.

Imo, he ran out of gas late last season as we failed to rest him when we had the opportunity.

Hopefully those poor finals performances burn in his gut & along with improved fitness levels, he can take his game to another level.

If Milera learns to accumulate, if Atkins gets some physicality, if Hampton gets consistency in his decision making and if Cameron can learn to settle, these will be our biggest improvers in 2017

Menzel an outside chance, if he cements a spot he could be anything

I hope I'm wrong on this but the following players I believe are playing to the best of their ability which is a good thing it shows they are putting maximum effort in and I don't believe they will improve, unfortunately they will need to be in their game to keep their form and hope they don't get any niggling injuries. It's not a dig at these players it's a compliment to say they put in week in week out but you can expect that there will be some that will drop off

Talia
Sloane
JJ
Betts
Smith
Laird
Hartigan
Lynch
Jacobs
Douglas
Cheney

Then you have some that will decline