Universal Love Big ****ing Dix!!!!!!!!!!!!

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The 'settling in' argument for 2016 doesn't cut it.

Buddy Franklin kicked 80 goals in his first year at the swans. Tom Lynch is firing now for Richmond. Kurt ******* Tippet averaged nearly 3 goals a game in his first season at Sydney!

Dixon is no Buddy but you'd reckon he could have managed more goals than Aaron Young?

2018 yeah it was a bad environment but he still could have done better. Remember what we gave up for this guy. We haven't gotten a return on that yet.

He's gone backwards at Port. Some of that is on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PatientMental

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Buddy Franklin kicked 80 goals in his first year at the swans.

Dixon is no Buddy but you'd reckon he could have managed more goals than Aaron Young?

2018 yeah it was a bad environment but he still could have done better. Remember what we gave up for this guy. We haven't gotten a return on that yet.

We won't. We haven't for practically all our trades

El_Scorcho

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

Buddy Franklin kicked 80 goals in his first year at the swans. Tom Lynch is firing now for Richmond. Kurt ******* Tippet averaged nearly 3 goals a game in his first season at Sydney!

Not comparable.

2016 was an absolute dumpster fire of a season for Port Adelaide.

Buddy in 2013 was the greatest tall forward of the modern era playing for one of the best teams in the league.

Magus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Some of it is on him. How much though?

We haven't developed another tall forward since Tredrea. Schulz was an amazing, underrated forward and was expected to do it all on his own the same way Charlie is.
Charlie is regularly double and triple teamed as the ball is bombed on his head, he's been expected to ruck and run the length of the field. We wouldn't play Butcher along side him, or Marshall, or Frampton.
His entire career at Port has been spent under the tutelage of Nicks, Bassett and Ken Hinkley.

When you take all that into consideration it just seems a tad unfair to criticise him.

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
But Schulz was able to kick 40 goals with one eye, internal bleeding, and under the coaching of Primus, Hocking, and the IT guy?

Remember, just a few years later he was being told p**s off to freo after a quiet game against Carlton.

We are making shocking excuses for Dixon.

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Not comparable.

2016 was an absolute dumpster fire of a season for Port Adelaide.

Buddy in 2013 was the greatest tall forward of the modern era playing for one of the best teams in the league.
That's nice, but what does his last year at Hawthorn have do with things?

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
Dixon is being crucified by Hinkley's selection and game plan each week.

Some of the Victorian media have been onto this now for a few weeks.

Dixon needs Ryder and one of Marshall/Frampton in the same forward line so he doesn't have 3 defenders hanging off him.
It's not rocket science.

Enviable Tradition

Professional Procrastinator
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The reality is he's had half a good season of football for us in 3 1/2 years. Its not good enough. Not for what we gave up to get him. Not for what we pay him on a weekly basis. But hey, he's big and has a nice beard, it's not his fault!
Given how s**t Ryder, Trengove, Marshall, Frampton, Butcher, Howard and a host of others have gone attempting to play key forward in Ken's useless system. It is hard to argue Chuck is at fault.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macca19

Jan 14, 2001
Albertr0n
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC, Orlando Magic
Given how s**t Ryder, Trengove, Marshall, Frampton, Butcher, Howard and a host of others have gone attempting to play key forward in Ken's useless system. It is hard to argue Chuck is at fault.

Nah, thats a cop out. In 2 of the 4 years he's been here we've had a top 7 scoring team. Last year we were too defensive as an entire team so scoring was down. This is the only year where we've truly had a haphazard forward line.

El_Scorcho

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nah, thats a cop out. In 2 of the 4 years he's been here we've had a top 7 scoring team. Last year we were too defensive as an entire team so scoring was down. This is the only year where we've truly had a haphazard forward line.
I'm sorry Macca but the bolded belongs in the unpopular opinions thread. Our forward line has been woefully haphazard since Tredrea retired.

The idea that he's had half a good season is something I totally disagree with. He's had at least 1.5 good seasons with the first half of 2016 and all of 2017.

2016 we were an immensely talented side that should have been winning a flag but our criminal list management f*** up with the rucks and our s**t forward setup meant we missed the finals. We scored moderately above average that year because we had Robbie Gray and a motivated gun Chad Wingard playing up there. He still managed to average more than 2 goals a game for the first half of the season before the niggling ankle injury limited the 2nd half.

2017 he was undeniably good.

2018, anyone blaming the players wasn't watching.

and then he broke his leg.

People can piss and moan about how much we gave up for him and how much we're paying him a year, but unless Ken Stinkley decides to develop a KPF between now and his eventual departure in 2034, paying through the nose for an AFL level KPF is our lot in life. Get used to it.

Work Hardery

Senior List
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is it too much to ask to have a Dixon and Marshall/Frampton combination up forward? I mean, how is Dixon supposed to compete against 2 and sometimes 3 opponents every time the ball's kicked his way? And that's not even mentioning the illegal attention he gets from defenders as well. Worst yet, when Dixon's off the ground we're left with a small/mid sized forward who we seamlessly bomb it long to, leading to an intercept mark being taken 9 times out of 10. How many ******* times does this happen? This stubborn campaigner of a coach and his fetish for small forwards is killing the club.

Schulzenfest

TheBrownDog
Feb 23, 2008
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
I love Charlie's attitude and everything about the way he goes about it. He's the type of guy I'd want lining up next to me in a game of football. But the free pass he gets on this board for his glaring deficiencies is quite staggering. He's a key player in our team and his failure to reach his potential as a footballer is one of the key reasons why we haven't reached our potential as a team.
Please provide a list of all of the key forwards who have 'reached their potential' under Ken Hinkley and Nathan Bassett.

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
So all that stuff I mentioned, you think that leads to the perfect environment for a forward to thrive?
I think if he were good enough he would perform in spite of it.

Remember what we gave up to get him. He should be good enough. He isn't delivering. Go back in time and would you be ok with him being a 30 goal a year player?

El_Scorcho

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I think if he were good enough he would perform in spite of it.

Remember what we gave up to get him. He should be good enough. He isn't delivering. Go back in time and would you be ok with him being a 30 goal a year player?
What we gave up was the price every single established KPF with Dixon's pedigree will cost, and we'll have to keep paying that every time we need a new one because we refuse to develop them.

And every single one of them will suffer a significant performance dip in a Hinkley coached side. That's the world we live in now.

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dixon didn't have a good first half of 2016 ffs. Some of those goals were against Brisbane, Gold Coast, Asadendon, Richmond, Carlton, Melbourne...

If he was the big Texan he'd be considered ultimate captain flat track.

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
What we gave up was the price every single established KPF with Dixon's pedigree will cost, and we'll have to keep paying that every time we need a new one because we refuse to develop them.

And every single one of them will suffer a significant performance dip in a Hinkley coached side. That's the world we live in now.
So you give zero to the view that if he were good enough he would perform in spite of it? He's completely helpless and beholden to the actions of people in the box?

Macca19

Jan 14, 2001
Albertr0n
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC, Orlando Magic
I'm sorry Macca but the bolded belongs in the unpopular opinions thread. Our forward line has been woefully haphazard since Tredrea retired.
Yeah nah. 13, 14, 15 our forward structure was clear, our forward movement was clear. We can complain that Butcher didn't get much of a go, but it doesn't really matter. Our forward line was clear. It's been a bit muddied since then but even in the "Lade years" we still had a clear forward structure, it just wasn't very good. This is the only year where our forward line feels like "spin a wheel in the selection committee to see who plays there this week" followed by "spin a wheel in selection committee to see how we want to enter the forward line this week".

The idea that he's had half a good season is something I totally disagree with. He's had at least 1.5 good seasons with the first half of 2016 and all of 2017.

2016 we were an immensely talented side that should have been winning a flag but our criminal list management f*** up with the rucks and our s**t forward setup meant we missed the finals. We scored moderately above average that year because we had Robbie Gray and a motivated gun Chad Wingard playing up there. He still managed to average more than 2 goals a game for the first half of the season before the niggling ankle injury limited the 2nd half.

2017 he was undeniably good.

2018, anyone blaming the players wasn't watching.

and then he broke his leg.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this bit

Duckimus Prime

All Australian
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pathetic forward system aside, his goal kicking shouldn't be excused.

vs. in the SANFL

He doesn't have to run around the whole ******* field in the SANFL and he's also not having to wrestle against three defenders in the SANFL. Thats why his kicking is better, he's not doing it while exhausted.

Nevermind that the forward line in the SANFL games also includes Billy Frampton and Ladhams/Hayes. With Marshall wandering around as well.

Strange how people have been asking for that support in the AFL.

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Yeah nah. 13, 14, 15 our forward structure was clear, our forward movement was clear. We can complain that Butcher didn't get much of a go, but it doesn't really matter. Our forward line was clear. It's been a bit muddied since then but even in the "Lade years" we still had a clear forward structure, it just wasn't very good. This is the only year where our forward line feels like "spin a wheel in the selection committee to see who plays there this week" followed by "spin a wheel in selection committee to see how we want to enter the forward line this week".
In 13 and 14 we relied heavily on transition scoring and Wingard and Schulz dobbing them from tight angles on a regular basis. It wasn't a functional or robust forward setup and I was blabbing on about it all year calling for another KPF to be selected so we'd have a plan B.

We didn't have a plan B and we blew a golden opportunity at a qualifying final.

There hasn't been a single year that we've maintained a consistent structure of talls and smalls, it's always moved around, and it's done so because we don't really have a plan for what we're doing inside 50 or how we're going to get the ball there. It just sort of happens if we're playing a side we can simply outclass, or doesn't happen if we're playing anyone else.

Pappagallo

Co(m)poster
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It’s partly this but Charlie’s goalkicking is just awful now. I have absolutely no confidence in his ability to score, it seems like a spin of the big wheel every time.

Top Bottom