Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I really respect Dixon's spirit, effort and mongrel.

Sadly, we have seen enough to know that he just isn't that good a footballer.

One good season with GC, other than that, drops marks, doesn't kick goals, gives away frees and clanger king.

If you want him in a team because 'yes he'll drop it but he'll bring it to ground' then that's pretty well acknowledging he is a 200cm tree and nothing more.

Find a better tree if that's what you want from a giant forward. I think we have better options available, including trading Dixon out while he still has some currency

One good season with GC, other than that, drops marks, doesn't kick goals, gives away frees and clanger king.
Forgetting his 2017 season with us? 49 goals and was in the top 2 for contested marks in the comp.

Yeah. Wow. 2017.

Says it all

Says what? That in 2018 our dickhead coach played him in the ruck all year because we had no back-up, and in 2019 he's coming off of a serious broken leg?

I love Charlie's attitude and everything about the way he goes about it. He's the type of guy I'd want lining up next to me in a game of football. But the free pass he gets on this board for his glaring deficiencies is quite staggering. He's a key player in our team and his failure to reach his potential as a footballer is one of the key reasons why we haven't reached our potential as a team.

He was in flag winning form at the end of that season. If only he'd kicked straight against WC...

It's a big what if but at the same time he was the only player to turn up in the first half when we were getting smashed.

It's easy to blame the loss on Dixon but flipside is he is the only reason we got so close to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on. Let's get real about Dixon. You can argue he's been mis-managed but he's been a disappointment so far. Forget the stats and what you see in games is the constant going under the flight of the incoming ball, the iron gloves when he gets the timing right, the crucial missed set shots (not an orphan), the silly angry man charade etc. He's not the only player to have had to work under a mediocre coach but one good season in four from your main man isn't enough.

I love Charlie's attitude and everything about the way he goes about it. He's the type of guy I'd want lining up next to me in a game of football. But the free pass he gets on this board for his glaring deficiencies is quite staggering. He's a key player in our team and his failure to reach his potential as a footballer is one of the key reasons why we haven't reached our potential as a team.

It's hard to judge anyone under this coaching regime. You could count the players that have fulfilled their potential on one hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't place a lot of blame individual players in a forward line that has chewed up and spat out every single player who has gone through there apart from generational talent Robbie Gray.

Especially a player like Dixon who has already proven himself at a different club.

Dixon had a slow start settling in in 2016, had a big 2017, then a quiet 2018 in the most bullshit defensive gameplan of the decade, and then broke his leg.

The 'settling in' argument for 2016 doesn't cut it.

Buddy Franklin kicked 80 goals in his first year at the swans. Tom Lynch is firing now for Richmond. Kurt ******* Tippet averaged nearly 3 goals a game in his first season at Sydney!

Dixon is no Buddy but you'd reckon he could have managed more goals than Aaron Young?

2018 yeah it was a bad environment but he still could have done better. Remember what we gave up for this guy. We haven't gotten a return on that yet.

He's gone backwards at Port. Some of that is on him.

Buddy Franklin kicked 80 goals in his first year at the swans.

Dixon is no Buddy but you'd reckon he could have managed more goals than Aaron Young?

2018 yeah it was a bad environment but he still could have done better. Remember what we gave up for this guy. We haven't gotten a return on that yet.

We won't. We haven't for practically all our trades

Buddy Franklin kicked 80 goals in his first year at the swans. Tom Lynch is firing now for Richmond. Kurt ******* Tippet averaged nearly 3 goals a game in his first season at Sydney!

Not comparable.

2016 was an absolute dumpster fire of a season for Port Adelaide.

Buddy in 2013 was the greatest tall forward of the modern era playing for one of the best teams in the league.

Some of it is on him. How much though?

We haven't developed another tall forward since Tredrea. Schulz was an amazing, underrated forward and was expected to do it all on his own the same way Charlie is.
Charlie is regularly double and triple teamed as the ball is bombed on his head, he's been expected to ruck and run the length of the field. We wouldn't play Butcher along side him, or Marshall, or Frampton.
His entire career at Port has been spent under the tutelage of Nicks, Bassett and Ken Hinkley.

When you take all that into consideration it just seems a tad unfair to criticise him.

But Schulz was able to kick 40 goals with one eye, internal bleeding, and under the coaching of Primus, Hocking, and the IT guy?

Remember, just a few years later he was being told piss off to freo after a quiet game against Carlton.

We are making shocking excuses for Dixon.

Not comparable.

2016 was an absolute dumpster fire of a season for Port Adelaide.

Buddy in 2013 was the greatest tall forward of the modern era playing for one of the best teams in the league.

That's nice, but what does his last year at Hawthorn have do with things?

The reality is he's had half a good season of football for us in 3 1/2 years. Its not good enough. Not for what we gave up to get him. Not for what we pay him on a weekly basis. But hey, he's big and has a nice beard, it's not his fault!

Dixon is being crucified by Hinkley's selection and game plan each week.

Some of the Victorian media have been onto this now for a few weeks.

Dixon needs Ryder and one of Marshall/Frampton in the same forward line so he doesn't have 3 defenders hanging off him.
It's not rocket science.

The reality is he's had half a good season of football for us in 3 1/2 years. Its not good enough. Not for what we gave up to get him. Not for what we pay him on a weekly basis. But hey, he's big and has a nice beard, it's not his fault!
Given how s**t Ryder, Trengove, Marshall, Frampton, Butcher, Howard and a host of others have gone attempting to play key forward in Ken's useless system. It is hard to argue Chuck is at fault.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back