Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

He hasn’t run one in the 1st quarter either. I’m all for lancing Ol’ Mate Ken but he’s not solely to blame here.

It's not lancing Ken, plenty of forwards cover a lot of territory.

However, if we are talking about this year, he has come back from a limited preparation including a couple of sanfl games where he didn't cover a lot of territory, back to full on AFL level running.

He's not a terrible shot for goal, last year he kicked 26.24 which was his worst return in terms of accuracy percentage for scoring shots. He's over 63% career accuracy.

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He hasn’t run one in the 1st quarter either. I’m all for lancing Ol’ Mate Ken but he’s not solely to blame here.

Are you saying a 400m sprint in the 1st Q wouldn't have him blowing hard? If he's got a heardt rate over say 160 when he gets the ball and he only has 30 seconds to kick, his heart rate is still going to be over 100 when he's taking his shot and his breathing will be affecting his focus. It's the reason the league accuracy has dropped off with the 30 seconds. Add to this his lack of preseason (base fitness), the fact he's a big lad that always recovered heart rate slowly (guessing this on the basis he's the only player to ever be called to play on for taking 29 seconds to take his shot) and the lack of confidence in the whole sqaud and I am surprised he's kicked 6 from his 14 shots.

The biggest concern above all else with Dixon is the amount of marks he drops. And I'm not talking about marks where the ball has been kicked on top of his head and he's got three opponents hanging off him, I'm talking about the marks he drops when he gets two clean hands to the ball and it just bounces off. This happens at least 3-4 times a game. It's not good enough.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Are you saying a 400m sprint in the 1st Q wouldn't have him blowing hard? If he's got a heardt rate over say 160 when he gets the ball and he only has 30 seconds to kick, his heart rate is still going to be over 100 when he's taking his shot and his breathing will be affecting his focus. It's the reason the league accuracy has dropped off with the 30 seconds. Add to this his lack of preseason (base fitness), the fact he's a big lad that always recovered heart rate slowly (guessing this on the basis he's the only player to ever be called to play on for taking 29 seconds to take his shot) and the lack of confidence in the whole sqaud and I am surprised he's kicked 6 from his 14 shots.

He isn’t doing a 400m sprint in the 1st quarter or any other quarter. He would be doing shorter sprints broken up by less intense running/jogging and periods of rests during stoppages.

So no, he shouldn’t be gassed in Q1.

Fivepots

hmm
Nov 20, 2018
south
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For the luv of god I just wanna see Dixon with maybe Frampton / Marshall / Ladhams in the same frikken team GRrr if we can see it why can't BASSSSS

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It has long been considered we can't work two forwards at the same time at Port, even when it is tried, dating back to many coaches ago. For whatever reason we simply haven't ever been able to create a 'twin towers' like all other clubs have. Not Choco, Primus, or Ken have been able to get two big forwards performing consistently. Some tried more than others but it never happened.

Is Charlie a guarantee to break that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
It has long been considered we can't work two forwards at the same time at Port, even when it is tried, dating back to many coaches ago. For whatever reason we simply haven't ever been able to create a 'twin towers' like all other clubs have. Not Choco, Primus, or Ken have been able to get two big forwards performing consistently. Some tried more than others but it never happened.

Ken hasn't really given it a proper go.

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What an absolute disgrace. Other side of the ground but similar to the Wines angle in the Showdown last year.

This Stevie J kicking action from right in front of goals is so ****** s**t. Just drop punt it you *******ers.
View attachment 710243

Jesus Christ I didn’t realise the angle from the western stand. Either that or I just didn’t care

But wow, I’d say the man is nearly mentally shot now too

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
Just checked this thread.... are people seriously bashing Dixon for our forward performance?

Dixon hasn't been perfect but our forward line structure is the worst in the league. To blame him for poor performance when he has 3-4 players hanging off him while bombing it onto his head is ridiculous.

Fivepots

hmm
Nov 20, 2018
south
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just checked this thread.... are people seriously bashing Dixon for our forward performance?

Dixon hasn't been perfect but our forward line structure is the worst in the league. To blame him for poor performance when he has 3-4 players hanging off him while bombing it onto his head is ridiculous.

Spot on buddy our structure up front is krindgeworthy "who in charge of this" FknBssetcrow

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I’ve said it before, Dixon isn’t helped by our abysmal lack of forward structure. Dixon is not to blame in that respect

But...

Dixon can be blamed for constantly running under the ball, dropping gettable marks and missing rudimental set shots.

What was his kicking stat last year? Something like 35% scoring shot accuracy? Meaning 65% of his shots either went out on the fall or through for a behind. Ridiculous.

Yes, Dixon can’t be blamed for our forward woes, but he certainly can’t be praised either.

And all this talk about how Dixon is coming back from a significant injury so we should cut him some slack... I completely agree on a personal level.

But from a club level, if he isn’t fit enough to perform to the required standard, then should he really be playing? It’s not enough to “try hard” or “be a good bloke”. We are talking about the highest league of football in Australia here, not everyone’s a winner Auskick

agmsy

All Australian
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Won't know if we never try.

For what it's worth, in the SANFL:
  • Round 9: Dixon 5.2, Marshall 1.1
  • Round 10: Dixon 3.2, Frampton 2.0, Hayes 2.0
  • Round 15: Dixon 3.1, Ladhams 3.1, Marshall 2.1, Hayes 1.0
So, other talls have still been scoring with Dixon in the seconds.

But from a club level, if he isn’t fit enough to perform to the required standard, then should he really be playing?

There's only so much match fitness you can develop or recover in the twos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’ve said it before, Dixon isn’t helped by our abysmal lack of forward structure. Dixon is not to blame in that respect

But...

Dixon can be blamed for constantly running under the ball, dropping gettable marks and missing rudimental set shots.

What was his kicking stat last year? Something like 35% scoring shot accuracy? Meaning 65% of his shots either went out on the fall or through for a behind. Ridiculous.

Yes, Dixon can’t be blamed for our forward woes, but he certainly can’t be praised either.

And all this talk about how Dixon is coming back from a significant injury so we should cut him some slack... I completely agree on a personal level.

But from a club level, if he isn’t fit enough to perform to the required standard, then should he really be playing? It’s not enough to “try hard” or “be a good bloke”. We are talking about the highest league of football in Australia here, not everyone’s a winner Auskick

Just to be clear on this

Charlie gets himself in a position to take 3 or so shots a game. If he at least nailed 2 of those on average I wouldn’t be complaining

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

He was bog average as a KPF, but hardly a coincidence Tredrea having Catdog and often Lade resting forward in 2004 to help him was his best year and our only AFL flag.

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams

But...

It’s almost impossible for any KPF to live up to our expectations after Tredrea. Dixon drops gettable marks, he misses easy set shots but just imagine if we didn’t have him at all. Sam Gray has been our KPF more times than I want to remember.

We need a big presence to take the heat off our other guys which is what he does BUT we don’t play enough other KPF options for our players to kick to so it becomes too predictable.

I agree if he isn’t fit to play then don’t play him but he is the best we have right now and that is our administrations fault not his.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
He was bog average as a KPF, but hardly a coincidence Tredrea having Catdog and often Lade resting forward in 2004 to help him was his best year and our only AFL flag.

Yes. He had Cornes and Lade or another ruck forward before 2004 as well.

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes our forward structure is currently non-existent but it's a cop out to soley blame Dixon's form on this.

This is a chart of his goalkicking for the year care of https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/shot-charting

His overall accuracy is 35%. His scoring is 18% below expected league average (which does take into account the difficulty of the shot). In regards to the common argument here that he is forced to run too much and hence is fatigued, note that 4 of his 10 misses occurred in the first 10 mins of each half.

Dixon goal kicking.png

I really like Dixon, but at some point his poor form rests with him, not with the coaches.

His overall accuracy is 35%. His scoring is 18% below expected league average (which does take into account the difficulty of the shot).
Does it take conditions into account? Check some Docklands based forwards maybe

Charles only started playing this season mid-winter, which included the deluge vs the dogs

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does it take conditions into account? Check some Docklands based forwards maybe

Charles only started playing this season mid-winter, which included the deluge vs the dogs
Good point. I can't see it mentioned anywhere so I doubt it does, which probably skews the picture somewhat given the large differences in rain affected games from team to team. Dixon kicked 2.2 against the Bulldogs with two other misses, so 33% accuracy for that game.

For comparison his accuracy was 43% last year, with his overall scoring 14% below expected (essentially 5 goals over the season).

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes our forward structure is currently non-existent but it's a cop out to soley blame Dixon's form on this.

This is a chart of his goalkicking for the year care of https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/shot-charting

His overall accuracy is 35%. His scoring is 18% below expected league average (which does take into account the difficulty of the shot). In regards to the common argument here that he is forced to run too much and hence is fatigued, note that 4 of his 10 misses occurred in the first 10 mins of each half.

View attachment 718532

I really like Dixon, but at some point his poor form rests with him, not with the coaches.

This here shows the real issue. No deep entries, no shots closish to goal and no shots from in front other than 50 out. Have a look at the better key forwards like Hawkins at the moment - he gets chances from easy shots as well as hard to kick spots. How do you get some confidence as a big KPF if you never get the ball in any decent spots? Its no wonder he's struggling for confidence.

Back