Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Lockett, Dunatall and Co spent 99% of the game sitting on their ass waiting for the ball to get kicked to them.

Pretty easy to kick straight when you haven't run up and down the field or put pressure on your opponents.

Sorry but you get thirty seconds to get your breath back. You should be able to kick straight from 25 out directly in front. Also they're gassed the rest of the game too, but can somehow hit targets 95% of the time, certainly when not under physical pressure.

It's 100% mental weakness and bad technique

Also Dixon's first shot yesterday was like 2-3 minutes in. He's exhausted then already?

Sorry but you get thirty seconds to get your breath back. You should be able to kick straight from 25 out directly in front. Also they're gassed the rest of the game too, but can somehow hit targets 95% of the time, certainly when not under physical pressure.

It's 100% mental weakness and bad technique
I agree they should be doing better. And they are obviously limited at training.

But I don't think it's fair for dinosaurs to compare. The game is nothing like their era.

Would Dunstall have been willing to put the physical work that the modern player does? Who knows. Sure some types like Craig Bradley could easily be compared given the nature of their game, but a FF taking cheap shots I think is pathetic.

I agree they should be doing better. And they are obviously limited at training.

But I don't think it's fair for dinosaurs to compare. The game is nothing like their era.

Would Dunstall have been willing to put the physical work that the modern player does? Who knows. Sure some types like Craig Bradley could easily be compared given the nature of their game, but a FF taking cheap shots I think is pathetic.

It's a basic skill of the game. Dixon should do better. If you don't have time to practice goalkicking for half an hour a week as a professional footballer what are you doing. Especially when it's an obvious technique issue where Charlie stabs at the ball and leans back.

It's a basic skill of the game. Dixon should do better. If you don't have time to practice goalkicking for half an hour a week as a professional footballer what are you doing. Especially when it's an obvious technique issue where Charlie stabs at the ball and leans back.
If their told they can't, that's the issue here.

And if Dixon suddenly starts pulling hamstrings because he spent 10 hours a week goal kicking the medicos would be all 'told you so'

If their told they can't, that's the issue here.

And if Dixon suddenly starts pulling hamstrings because he spent 10 hours a week goal kicking the medicos would be all 'told you so'

You don't need to spend ten hours a week to correct a technique issue. It'd be interesting to know what his set shots are like at training. Probably dobs 90% of them which means it's mental

You don't need to spend ten hours a week to correct a technique issue. It'd be interesting to know what his set shots are like at training. Probably dobs 90% of them which means it's mental
Look at many other fwds, there's some absolutely laughable techniques... Started with Kennedy and his stutters and its gone on from there.

Perhaps it's too late to coach it outta them. From memory Kennedy went back to it after reducing it to some extent....

Absolutely.

It’s all relative. Amateur players are less fit and hence are absolutely buggered as well. And the goal kicking is slightly better in my opinion up to about 35-40 mtr out.

The leaning back comes from practicing too many shots from 50 out. The closer you are, the less important the distance, and the more you should be able to guide the ball onto the boot by leaning forward.

And yes you can have different set shot routines, I mean we have checkside/bananas, round the corner snaps, and torpedos which are all different routines and probably practiced at training too much at the expense of regular shots.

Some of the goal kicking techniques that get through to AFL level are quite astonishing really. Gryan Miers thinks he’s a soccer goalkeeper ffs.

It's actually bizarre, the field kicking skill is so high these days, but you look at goalkicking compared to the olden days with the likes of Dunstall, Ablett, Lockett, Modra etc where you just knew they had a set approach and kicked it more often than not
They also usually had a mountain of space to lead into and kick from right in front of goal.

But agreed Dixon needs to get momentum through the ball and not lean back.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I know, so you can't compare them.

And hearing the constant sniping from them I think is pathetic.

They probably laid less tackles in their whole careers then Dixon would in a season. Likewise handballs....

If I practiced goal kicking and nothing else I'd be pretty good too....

The only time fat fu**s like Dunstall and Lockett would break a sweat is when they are off to the pub.

With all due respect if you kicked goalkicking and nothing else you'd...still be half as good as Tony Lockett.

And laying a tackle is great. Kicking goals is what wins...and to often loses...us games.

With all due respect if you kicked goalkicking and nothing else you'd...still be half as good as Tony Lockett.

And laying a tackle is great. Kicking goals is what wins...and to often loses...us games.
Just think it's a bit cheap for them to compare.

Sure Dixon missed early, but as a whole there's much more to the current players. Buddy is 10 times them in my eyes. He can kick and do all the other stuff. Even improved his overhead marking as he went on.

Doubt they'll pick out Buddy to have a cheap shot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look the game has changed but those guys were goal kicking technicians the fitness/sports science guys limit how much the modern day player practices goal kicking.
I'm dreading the day when sports scientists infiltrate the world of professional darts. Michael van Gerwin will lose his baby fat and 26 will be the new 180.

After stretching the tape on the replays I have to say that was *en pearler of a mark.

Has a career post football as a grape plucker mother...

Plenty of modern forwards work hard and still kick better than Dixon.

It's an issue.

He's either not a good kick or he's still working too hard in other ways which is becoming detrimental to his kicking.

So we either fix that or move him further away from goal, for someone that can kick more than half their shots.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back