Port Adelaide
6k0s21mnwgq51.jpg

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couldn’t hold a mark contested or not tonight, but still drew the defenders and let others step up.

Yeah one thing Dix and the media have done really well this season is convince oppo clubs he is our only path to goal. I reckon in recent weeks clubs have spent all their focus on Dix which makes it easier for us to let our other forwards get free.

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah one thing Dix and the media have done really well this season is convince oppo clubs he is our only path to goal. I reckon in recent weeks clubs have spent all their focus on Dix which makes it easier for us to let our other forwards get free.

Since the Cats loss and particularly the last three games we have been delivering the ball better and to different options. That loss may have been the catalyst to improving us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The difference between Charlie and Hawk is his willingness to crash the pack and bring his team mates into the game. We were able to attack the coal face and our smalls thrived on it.

He didn't mark any but he earnt one free in a dangerous spot too.

Hawkins on the other hand wanted the easy mark over the back where he could push in the back and avoid contact or the easy lead up (which we forced wide). Playing him from the back shoulder took out the over the back so we forced him (and Geelong) wide).

Charlie plays a game that stacks up in finals (even if he doesn't mark it), Hawk does not (if the oppo are wise).

To be fair, we are paying him circa $800k pa to take marks - so I bloody well expect him to stick some in the next two (?) games.

If he took even half of his marks last night, we would have won by 5+ goals.

he dislocated a finger and notably distressed when trying to put it back in

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The difference between Charlie and Hawk is his willingness to crash the pack and bring his team mates into the game. We were able to attack the coal face and our smalls thrived on it.

He didn't mark any but he earnt one free in a dangerous spot too.

Hawkins on the other hand wanted the easy mark over the back where he could push in the back and avoid contact or the easy lead up (which we forced wide). Playing him from the back shoulder took out the over the back so we forced him (and Geelong) wide).

Charlie plays a game that stacks up in finals (even if he doesn't mark it), Hawk does not (if the oppo are wise).
Hawkins missed a few shots but not much at all. We could have easily lost that if some of his kicks were a few inches further to the left.

Madness to say that doesn't stack up in finals. He had an off night kicking wise. In that way we got lucky.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hawkins missed a few shots but not much at all. We could have easily lost that if some of his kicks were a few inches further to the left.

Madness to say that doesn't stack up in finals. He had an off night kicking wise. In that way we got lucky.

"In that way we got lucky." That is the exact conclusion the general media are making. 'Hawkins missed 6 shots at goal & so they were unlucky & should/could have won that.'

However that doesnt take into account all the macro factors:
1] Only ONE of his kicks was in the "easy" bracket. For the rest he was forced to go way wide, and were 30/70 at best.
2] The last few attempts we had got into his mind, and had him totally rattled - Ala the play-on kick from a close angle

No "LUCK" involved! We dried up his supply. Our defence was much tighter and supportive of each other, and so he was forced wide, and/or go low percentage.

If we are are going to talk about luck, then lets do it both ways!
- Charlie dropped two marks from dead-set easy positions to score.
- Mckenzie dropped a mark he would take 99 times out of a hundred to allow Danger to get his "goal of the millennium."
- Twice Rozee slips over when we are in prime position to score
- I could go on....

Lets leave that rhetoric to the poorly researched Vic media to make their excuses!

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Hawkins doesn't stack up in finals. His record speaks for itself

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"In that way we got lucky." That is the exact conclusion the general media are making. 'Hawkins missed 6 shots at goal & so they were unlucky & should/could have won that.'

1] Only ONE of his kicks was in the "easy" bracket. For the rest he was forced to go way wide, and were 30/70 at best.
2] The last few attempts we had got into his mind, and had him totally rattled - Ala the play-on kick from a close angle

No "LUCK" involved! We dried up his supply. Our defence was much tighter and supportive of each other, and so he was forced wide, and/or go low percentage.

- Mckenzie dropped a mark he would take 99 times out of a hundred to allow Danger to get his "goal of the millennium."
- I could go on....

Lets leave that rhetoric to the poorly researched Vic media to make their excuses!

I see it the same way. That Daisy chick was talking about McKenzie and saying how crap he was, and that if you looked at Hawkins night of 0.5 you might say McKenzie beat him (she said it in a tone that said you would be stupid if you came to that conclusion). Our defensive set-up gave him no channels to lead to other than the boundary. McKenzie forced him to this option due to playing off his inside shoulder. It's actually the opposite of what Daisy was inferring. McKenzie did an awesome job on Hawkins but it doesn't look as good because he had 6 shots on goal.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion

- I could go on....

I've seen Hawkins kick those goal often enough to know it was luck that he missed. I've seen Dixon drop enough marks to know that it would be luck if he stuck them, ditto Rozee being a little bit off this year in moments like that.

Allowing their full forward to have SIX shots on goal is never a sustainable practise. We'd be foolish to think that that will happen again.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've seen Hawkins kick those goal often enough to know it was luck that he missed. I've seen Dixon drop enough marks to know that it would be luck if he stuck them, ditto Rozee being a little bit off this year in moments like that.

Allowing their full forward to have SIX shots on goal is never a sustainable practise. We'd be foolish to think that that will happen again.
Yeah, but you haven't seen him kick 6/6 in a high-pressure final, where the defence were forcing him to kick from row 3!

Give it away!

To be fair, we are paying him circa $800k pa to take marks - so I bloody well expect him to stick some in the next two (?) games.

If he took even half of his marks last night, we would have won by 5+ goals.
Where did you get this 800k figure from?

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Since the Cats loss and particularly the last three games we have been delivering the ball better and to different

Nah. We stopped him getting EASY shots on goal and rattled him. It wasn’t luck so much as pressure.

Back