Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It's disappointing because I actually think he moved well and led very well compared to his recent games, but was completely unable to get away from the loose man or space on his direct opponent, which was a little concerning as Harry Taylor was passed it three years ago.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dixon still owes us for his 2017 inaccuracies

I hope the coaches remind him this Friday night to get him firing

Dixon still owes us for his 2017 inaccuracies

I hope the coaches remind him this Friday night to get him firing

I think the last thing Dixon needs when he has the yips is the club heaping more mental pressure on him.

I hope he has got a new pair of contacts so he doesn't drop the sitters like he did those 2 in the last quarter when he finally got rid of Taylor holding onto him. And also stop his issues of getting under the ball in night games.

I think the last thing Dixon needs when he has the yips is the club heaping more mental pressure on him.

I mean, he already knows it internally. Doesn't need to become a complex by it being reinforced externally.

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He was a classic of ‘overplaying” in a big game. He showed a lack of composure, was wasting energy trying to do too much and looked gassed most of the time. Great finals players do not rush and blow all their energy with first quarter adrenaline. Let’s hope he got that one out of the way.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hope he has got a new pair of contacts so he doesn't drop the sitters like he did those 2 in the last quarter when he finally got rid of Taylor holding onto him. And also stop his issues of getting under the ball in night games.
Was interesting listening to how Cox has improved at the end of the season (somewhat) due to recovering from the eye surgery and that night games were the hardest for him.

1602637414898.png

Keith Spencer, Greg Phillips and Charlie Dixon from Dixon’s Instagram account on the night of Port Adelaide’s 150th dinner this year

AFL 2020: Port Adelaide Power news, how club’s past is driving its premiership push in its 150th year

On the night of Port Adelaide’s 150th anniversary dinner in February, Charlie Dixon posted a photo to his Instagram account which at first glance appeared nothing more than a regulation selfie. But it also revealed part of the motivation behind the club’s premiership push this season.

In the photo was Keith Spencer who played 161 games from 1964-1973, during which time the Magpies won two flags from eight grand finals, but Spencer never got a medal. Next to him was Greg Phillips who won a staggering eight premierships from 343 games including a stint as captain and a best-and-fairest which has rightly landed him in the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

Then there was Dixon, who has only played in two finals in his 152-game career that started at the Gold Coast and brought him to Port Adelaide in 2016, and is now an All-Australian. And like Spencer, Dixon is still searching for that elusive premiership.

They all wore different ties — Spencer a black-and-white bow tie, Philips a black and white necktie and Dixon a black, white and teal one — but binding them together was they had all worn the same number and shared the same locker at Alberton. “Three 22’s,” Dixon captioned the photo with.

“To see the history of the club and learn more and meet the (past) players has been pretty special,” he told The Advertiser last week. “We’re trying to do something special in our 150th year and also repay what the founders did for us all those years ago. “It only took me a year to be honest to really feel at home and fall in love with Adelaide and the football club, I’ve always made my feelings known about this football club and all the help they’ve given me over the past five years.”

........ It goes on about Jonas and Ken and others - it's a long article

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thought you guys might be interested to see this. A very thin 16-year-old Charlie Dixon strutting his stuff for the Cairns Saints in the local Cairns AFL competition in 2007.

upInecc.jpg

tU1j7cl.jpg

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He almost makes Westhoff in his first year look big!
It's irritating tbh when you look at talls we've drafted & delisted over the years who never put on size yet Charlie was a stick insect.

Hopefully the key to the weights room gets found under the current fitness staff, Burgess & others had NFI.

Thought you guys might be interested to see this. A very thin 16-year-old Charlie Dixon strutting his stuff for the Cairns Saints in the local Cairns AFL competition in 2007.

upInecc.jpg

tU1j7cl.jpg
I'm glad Gold Coast had a big role in beefing this guy up. As JimmyBC said, it's an area that we struggle in.

Peter Ladhams for example is lucky that Norwood were feeding him well before we drafted him, so we didn't need to put much work into him.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

upInecc.jpg

No jumper clash there - and let's not worry about the shorts either. Heck, even the umpies can wear dark shorts if they like!

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Hard to believe Charlie was that skinny and not a bit of a man child.

Much credit for how he's managed to transform his body.

I reckon Butcher was probably better built at that age.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

View attachment 984800

Keith Spencer, Greg Phillips and Charlie Dixon from Dixon’s Instagram account on the night of Port Adelaide’s 150th dinner this year

AFL 2020: Port Adelaide Power news, how club’s past is driving its premiership push in its 150th year

On the night of Port Adelaide’s 150th anniversary dinner in February, Charlie Dixon posted a photo to his Instagram account which at first glance appeared nothing more than a regulation selfie. But it also revealed part of the motivation behind the club’s premiership push this season.

In the photo was Keith Spencer who played 161 games from 1964-1973, during which time the Magpies won two flags from eight grand finals, but Spencer never got a medal. Next to him was Greg Phillips who won a staggering eight premierships from 343 games including a stint as captain and a best-and-fairest which has rightly landed him in the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

Then there was Dixon, who has only played in two finals in his 152-game career that started at the Gold Coast and brought him to Port Adelaide in 2016, and is now an All-Australian. And like Spencer, Dixon is still searching for that elusive premiership.

They all wore different ties — Spencer a black-and-white bow tie, Philips a black and white necktie and Dixon a black, white and teal one — but binding them together was they had all worn the same number and shared the same locker at Alberton. “Three 22’s,” Dixon captioned the photo with.

“To see the history of the club and learn more and meet the (past) players has been pretty special,” he told The Advertiser last week. “We’re trying to do something special in our 150th year and also repay what the founders did for us all those years ago. “It only took me a year to be honest to really feel at home and fall in love with Adelaide and the football club, I’ve always made my feelings known about this football club and all the help they’ve given me over the past five years.”

........ It goes on about Jonas and Ken and others - it's a long article

Lol Greg Phillips. That's not a hand, it's a steak with fingers. :p

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

What Nathan Brown perhaps alluded to, but failed to mention, is that Charlie is a competitive beast after he has created the contest. If he doesn't mark the ball he will dive after it like a man possessed (which of course he is). He will either get to the ball and tap or handball it to a smaller player. Or, if an opposition players gets the ball and Charlie is within reach he will tackle that player as only he can.

Its not just the contests he creates, its his second efforts around the contest which at the very least leaves opposition players sore and at best leaves the ball in a contested situation instead of allowing an opposition player clean disposal of the ball.

Its that value add that players like Ladhams, Hayes, Marshall and Mitch should learn as their bodies mature, and especially when they find themselves in a pack situation. Look at players like Dixon, or Carey. Its not just the attempted contest mark, its crashing the pack and the second efforts with your big body after the marking attempt that help make a player like Dixon so valuable.

Back