Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It still should have been paid as a free kick with the umpire calling "play on, advantage" when Rozee swooped on the ball.
Surprised it wasn't with the amount of free kicks we got paid when we'd taken the mark, or had already run away with the ball. But when the whistle actually would've made a difference? Well the silence was deafening... before the boos were deafening.

JohnHinckleyJr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls Man Utd
Dix gets no frees but * if their is a slight opertunity to give one against him its paid every ******* time ...
Then campaigners like rewolt and lynch just look at the ump and gets frees..
Then hawkins and franklin push every campaigner in the back .. Cue Dwayno that's a good contested mark ..
Dix one little finger that's a free bullshit ..
Cops the tredders Jay treatment

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
... But when the whistle actually would've made a difference? ...
As luck had it Rozee crumbed and kicked the goal but the umpire didn't know that when deciding not to pay Dixon a free for front on contact. When awarding free kicks umpires should never take into account if the free will make a difference. That's why we have the player on advantage rule. Umpires should, and are actually required to, pay every free kick that is there.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As luck had it Rozee crumbed and kicked the goal but the umpire didn't know that when deciding not to pay Dixon a free for front on contact. When awarding free kicks umpires should never take into account if the free will make a difference. That's why we have the player on advantage rule. Umpires should, and are actually required to, pay every free kick that is there.
My point being that the game against St Kilda was full of situations where by the time the umpire actually blew the free kick for us, it had zero impact on the game. We'd already taken a mark or play had already continued on to our advantage. It was the perfect opportunity for a little free kick stat padding if you want to get all conspiracy against us.

The game actually seemed to have a couple of examples where the umpire actually sat and waited to see if there was an advantage before blowing the whistle for the free kick.

The Dixon-Rozee free I can accept, as an umpire it takes a second to register that you should give a free. And you're about to become the centre of attention so you take a moment to make sure you're not going to slip over. Bringing your hand upto your mouth while running isn't a natural action so it can throw out your balance if you're running hard to get in the right position to view the contest (AFL umpires don't seem to do this much though). And they need to take a moment to take a deep breath, have you ever tried blowing a whistle after you've just breathed out?

And by that time, Rozee is already crumbing the ball and kicking the goal. So you just shrug and call all clear.

But he probably didn't even think it was a free to Charlie.

If the benchmark for a Dixon free was the breath in the back paid against Woodcock that cost us a goal after Aliir marked and it was turned over, he would be on 100 goals by round 11.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
... The game actually seemed to have a couple of examples where the umpire actually sat and waited to see if there was an advantage before blowing the whistle for the free kick. ...
That umpire should be umpiring Auskick this week if the AFL is serious about umpire performance.

That umpire should be umpiring Auskick this week if the AFL is serious about umpire performance.
It actually should be the way the rule works.
As it is players stop when the whistle blows and the advantage is exaggerated.
It's how they do it in rugby, they call advantage, but only whistle if none is gained.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My point being that the game against St Kilda was full of situations where by the time the umpire actually blew the free kick for us, it had zero impact on the game. We'd already taken a mark or play had already continued on to our advantage. It was the perfect opportunity for a little free kick stat padding if you want to get all conspiracy against us.
My 'favourite' is when we manage to play on and then they blow the whistle. So the free kick actually disadvantages us.
Free kicks tallies alone tell half a picture at best. I'm sure we're also near the top of any ladder in free kicks in second vs. first half. I.e. we get when they tend to matter less. I'd like a fairly simple free kick value metric shown for each game.

Frees would be worth as a base of 2 points in the first half, 1.5 in the 3rd quarter and 1 in the last, to reflect they matter more when the game is most up for grabs. Then times by 0.5 if received in back 50, 1 through the midfield, 2 if in the forward 50 and 3 if in the forward 50 and results in a goal. So a free kick leading to a goal in the first half would score the maximum 6 points, through a cheap even up free down back in the last worth only 0.5.

If this was done (which the AFL would never allow publishing of), it'd quickly show up what most Port fans can tell at games, that we're almost always on the s**t end, even if we are close/ahead in the raw count. This doesn't even take into account the missed frees and different interpretations for Charlie / Robbie vs. the Ducking twins etc.

I said on the match day, Dixon needs to start throwing elbows, if the oppo is in the wrong position he'll take a clip, the umpires will also watch more closely.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I said on the match day, Dixon needs to start throwing elbows, if the oppo is in the wrong position he'll take a clip, the umpires will also watch more closely.
How many weeks would Dixon get if a stray elbow accidentally fractured an opposition player's eye socket?

Dixon gets treated the same way most of the big brutish KPF's have been treated for the last 30 years, they aren't given many free kicks for being held and wrestled, because umps say they are big enough to look after themselves.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Big Dix versus his next opponent.

bart-vs-lisa-simpson.jpg

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Dixon gets treated the same way most of the big brutish KPF's have been treated for the last 30 years, they aren't given many free kicks for being held and wrestled, because umps say they are big enough to look after themselves.

This is the way i see it exactly, which is ridiculous - its a free kick is there whether its on the largest or the smallest player. If someone kills someone, they dont get off because the other guy was bigger and should be able to look after himself. Its still murder.

Until they muscle a bloke out of the way, then it's a free against.

I hate it when coaches complain about player treatment *cough*Sloane*cough* but every coach does it. Maybe Ken could just hang the idea out there in the pre-match conference that it would be good if umpires closely watched the attention Charlie gets in marking contests.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I often wonder how much it is a subconscious thing from umpires who are generally puny by nature as a result of the running requirements.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It actually should be the way the rule works.
As it is players stop when the whistle blows and the advantage is exaggerated.
It's how they do it in rugby, they call advantage, but only whistle if none is gained.
Some with soccer. Don't blow the whistle unless you want to actually stop the game. Let the play go and call out advantage if its going. Then its an actually a continuation of play that is advantageous, rather than the umpire causing some players to pause.

It also means you can come down harder on players who kick the ball away after the whistle. If it was going to be your free, then the whistle would've never been blown.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Lynch is a dick but what Harvick says is true and even more true of Dixon.

Don't measure him on stats. Measure him on wins and what he allows Georgiadis, Marshall, Fantasia, Motlop etc to do.

And watch what happens when Georgie gets more attention. All of a sudden Charlie will have a few break out games.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 6, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
REH the most studious, researchiest poster on the board.....I challenge you to find where in the rules it mentions “if a player being infringed happens to be Brutish or considered big enough to look after themselves; the umpire will call play on”

Go on....dare ya :p

Astronema

im gay (they/them)
Sep 17, 2020
Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
REH the most studious, researchiest poster on the board.....I challenge you to find where in the rules it mentions “if a player being infringed happens to be Brutish or considered big enough to look after themselves; the umpire will call play on”

Except he is right, and a lot of the time its simply good umpiring. Sometimes they go too far though and defenders get away with absolutely BS play.

I'm still looking for that mysterious book of interpretations. When I find that I'm sure i will find the relevant clause. ;)

I'm still looking for that mysterious book of interpretations. When I find that I'm sure i will find the relevant clause. ;)

You would have a greater likelihood of finding Ashmole 782.

Back