Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

My point being that the game against St Kilda was full of situations where by the time the umpire actually blew the free kick for us, it had zero impact on the game. We'd already taken a mark or play had already continued on to our advantage. It was the perfect opportunity for a little free kick stat padding if you want to get all conspiracy against us.

The game actually seemed to have a couple of examples where the umpire actually sat and waited to see if there was an advantage before blowing the whistle for the free kick.

The Dixon-Rozee free I can accept, as an umpire it takes a second to register that you should give a free. And you're about to become the centre of attention so you take a moment to make sure you're not going to slip over. Bringing your hand upto your mouth while running isn't a natural action so it can throw out your balance if you're running hard to get in the right position to view the contest (AFL umpires don't seem to do this much though). And they need to take a moment to take a deep breath, have you ever tried blowing a whistle after you've just breathed out?

And by that time, Rozee is already crumbing the ball and kicking the goal. So you just shrug and call all clear.

But he probably didn't even think it was a free to Charlie.
Spot in I thought the same👌

My point being that the game against St Kilda was full of situations where by the time the umpire actually blew the free kick for us, it had zero impact on the game. We'd already taken a mark or play had already continued on to our advantage. It was the perfect opportunity for a little free kick stat padding if you want to get all conspiracy against us.

The game actually seemed to have a couple of examples where the umpire actually sat and waited to see if there was an advantage before blowing the whistle for the free kick.

The Dixon-Rozee free I can accept, as an umpire it takes a second to register that you should give a free. And you're about to become the centre of attention so you take a moment to make sure you're not going to slip over. Bringing your hand upto your mouth while running isn't a natural action so it can throw out your balance if you're running hard to get in the right position to view the contest (AFL umpires don't seem to do this much though). And they need to take a moment to take a deep breath, have you ever tried blowing a whistle after you've just breathed out?

And by that time, Rozee is already crumbing the ball and kicking the goal. So you just shrug and call all clear.

But he probably didn't even think it was a free to Charlie.

If Rozee hadn't marked the ball, would Charlie have been paid a free for Howard's ludicrous marking attempt?

Probably not, because the free should have been paid before Rozee's mark.

Lynch is a dick but what Harvick says is true and even more true of Dixon.

Don't measure him on stats. Measure him on wins and what he allows Georgiadis, Marshall, Fantasia, Motlop etc to do.

And watch what happens when Georgie gets more attention. All of a sudden Charlie will have a few break out games.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Still have a soft spot for Hardwick- Very articulated speaker and agree with this.

REH the most studious, researchiest poster on the board.....I challenge you to find where in the rules it mentions “if a player being infringed happens to be Brutish or considered big enough to look after themselves; the umpire will call play on”

Go on....dare ya :p
Custom makes law. ;)

Honestly not seeing anything different from Charlie lately that I haven't already seen for stretches in 2016, 2018, 2019...

Not sure what the rest of you are getting worked up over. Been accepting and even celebrating this kinda footy for years now...

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Honestly not seeing anything different from Charlie lately that I haven't already seen for stretches in 2016, 2018, 2019...

Not sure what the rest of you are getting worked up over. Been accepting and even celebrating this kinda footy for years now...

So basically he's been a s**t truck for years, had a bit of an aberration year last year with shortened quarters and he remembered how to catch a football for a while

Couldn't agree more

So basically he's been a sh*t truck for years, had a bit of an aberration year last year with shortened quarters and he remembered how to catch a football for a while

Couldn't agree more
Honestly for me it's less about Dixon and more about how accepted his returns were. There's a part of me that thinks the chicken has come home to roost.

I mean, what about that game vs Collingwood with no goals and a few marks? Phwoar. Epic. Who needs scoreboard impact and sticky hands?

Oh edgie, what about his coaches votes?

You mean the mega successful Hinkley and Bucks? Couple of astute scholars of bringing success there.

Honestly for me it's less about Dixon and more about how accepted his returns were. There's a part of me that thinks the chicken has come home to roost.

I mean, what about that game vs Collingwood with no goals and a few marks? Phwoar. Epic. Who needs scoreboard impact and sticky hands?

Oh edgie, what about his coaches votes?

You mean the mega successful Hinkley and Bucks? Couple of astute scholars of bringing success there.

Phwoar but his hands are big though

Maybe that's why he can't catch the ******* ball

Didn't seem to trouble Stewart loewe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot understand when you have hands as big as Charlies how many balls he drops.

Does anyone know his mark attempts vs. marks made %? I reckon it would be like 10%

Josh Jenkins has never played like a KPF in his life.
Does Charlie? Because I have played with some pretty good KFs in my time and some bad KFs and the only things that matter in that position is LEADING, MARKING, and KICKING GOALS. I have said this before and I will keep repeating it, bringing the ball to ground as a game plan is insane all you are doing is adding extra complexity to a pretty simple formula kick mark goal. By turning a potential 1v1 between a leading FF and trailing FB into a scrap on the ground where you invite in all the small defenders.

Last edited:
Yep close to ripping a game apart my arse you Dixon apologists do my head in this guy hasnt done sh*t in nearly twenty games

Does Charlie? Because I have played with some pretty good KFs in my time and some bad KFs and the only things that matter in that position is LEADING, MARKING, and KICKING GOALS. I have said this before and I will keep repeating it, bringing the ball to ground as a game plan is insane all you are doing is adding extra complexity to a pretty simple formula kick mark goal. By turning a potential 1v1 between a leading FF and trailing FB into a scrap on the ground where you invite in all the small defenders.
Charlie makes a contest but no you are right he's not a natural leading forward at all & never has been, Jenkins couldn't even tell you the meaning of a pack or a contest though.
I'm not a Dixon apologist he's not an undroppable player imo I think he's ok in his role but when everything goes to s**t around him his weaknesses are extremely visible.

Best ever goalkicking season was when he kicked 41 in 16 games for gold coast.

This is the kicker for me. GC managed to play him to his strengths better than we ever could. I think its coaching. Whoever instructs him to wrestle with his opponents and wait for the ball to come to him is the problem.

Maybe ask those key forwards if competing and making sure the ball hits the ground etc are things that matter??

your view on a key forward is too simplistic, it’s 1980s key forwards.. no key forward just leads and marks.. I can’t think of one in the league that does it. Let along mark and lead to a drew, spp, boak or wines kick..pointless leading to that..

charlies role is to compete and bring the ball to ground and our band of elite skills will go to work. He had a shocker last night but he wasn’t alone. He takes the best defender and then most times he also has the next best handing off him and if the ball movement is slow he has the ruckman dropping back.. and most of the times he gets the ball to ground, throws his body at the contest to bring it to ground.

sure he has concrete hands at times, but I’ll take him over anything we have and to think people want ladhams back in, in his place..* me, the side is doomed if we have ladhams as our big gorilla.

he adds far more to this side then I think some give him credit.

Maybe ask those key forwards if competing and making sure the ball hits the ground etc are things that matter??

your view on a key forward is too simplistic, it’s 1980s key forwards.. no key forward just leads and marks.. I can’t think of one in the league that does it. Let along mark and lead to a drew, spp, boak or wines kick..pointless leading to that..

charlies role is to compete and bring the ball to ground and our band of elite skills will go to work. He had a shocker last night but he wasn’t alone. He takes the best defender and then most times he also has the next best handing off him and if the ball movement is slow he has the ruckman dropping back.. and most of the times he gets the ball to ground, throws his body at the contest to bring it to ground.

sure he has concrete hands at times, but I’ll take him over anything we have and to think people want ladhams back in, in his place..fu** me, the side is doomed if we have ladhams as our big gorilla.

he adds far more to this side then I think some give him credit.
Bullshit Cameron is on his bike all game, Hawkins is a master of leading and the best in the game at it, Kennedy is the second best and takes a crazy amount of marks with his man a metre behind him, Darling is pretty good at creating separation from Kennedy and knows how to make both of them dangerous by staying out of Kennedys leading lane. Naughton, the kings, and Jack Reiwoldt all good at at making separation.

1980s Football my arse, workrate is something that will stay fashionable in football for ever, Nick Reiwoldt built a career by willing to run himself into the ground. There are different forms of bravery in football and running as hard as you can as long as you can is one of the most important, and Charlie has proven that he is unwilling to commit to straight line running and repeat leads on a consistent basis preferring to wrestle and invite in huge amounts of pressure.

If park footballers can consistently hit 30 metre 45s you are kidding yourself that elite footballers can't. I would love leading to boak Gray motlop rozee Houston Butters they would be able to read my mind and hit me consistently so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Defend Dixon all you want if he was a good forward he would have kicked double the amount of goals to games played and if he was a great forward three goals he averages 1.6 goals. Once again if his role is really to bring it to ground we have the dumbest coach of all time.

While his marking is s**t at times, I’m with those who say Dixon’s main problem is with how has been coached (and how the forward line is structured). He needs to stop with the wrestling bullshit. It gives his opponent too much of a chance to influence the game. It might work with some defenders but for the likes of Andrews, you’re just making it easy for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back