Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Bullshit Cameron is on his bike all game, Hawkins is a master of leading and the best in the game at it, Kennedy is the second best and takes a crazy amount of marks with his man a metre behind him, Darling is pretty good at creating separation from Kennedy and knows how to make both of them dangerous by staying out of Kennedys leading lane. Naughton, the kings, and Jack Reiwoldt all good at at making separation.

1980s Football my arse, workrate is something that will stay fashionable in football for ever, Nick Reiwoldt built a career by willing to run himself into the ground. There are different forms of bravery in football and running as hard as you can as long as you can is one of the most important, and Charlie has proven that he is unwilling to commit to straight line running and repeat leads on a consistent basis preferring to wrestle and invite in huge amounts of pressure.

If park footballers can consistently hit 30 metre 45s you are kidding yourself that elite footballers can't. I would love leading to boak Gray motlop rozee Houston Butters they would be able to read my mind and hit me consistently so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Defend Dixon all you want if he was a good forward he would have kicked double the amount of goals to games played and if he was a great forward three goals he averages 1.6 goals. Once again if his role is really to bring it to ground we have the dumbest coach of all time.
If he got the frees that the w***ers mentioned in your little rant got then he would of kicked triple the goals

If he got the frees that the w***ers mentioned in your little rant got then he would of kicked triple the goals
* that beat the umps and your man by taking them out of the play by getting on your bike, instead of relying on corrupt little men who can't play the game who have allegiances to their own team most likely a Victorian club.

Bullshit Cameron is on his bike all game, Hawkins is a master of leading and the best in the game at it, Kennedy is the second best and takes a crazy amount of marks with his man a metre behind him, Darling is pretty good at creating separation from Kennedy and knows how to make both of them dangerous by staying out of Kennedys leading lane. Naughton, the kings, and Jack Reiwoldt all good at at making separation.

1980s Football my arse, workrate is something that will stay fashionable in football for ever, Nick Reiwoldt built a career by willing to run himself into the ground. There are different forms of bravery in football and running as hard as you can as long as you can is one of the most important, and Charlie has proven that he is unwilling to commit to straight line running and repeat leads on a consistent basis preferring to wrestle and invite in huge amounts of pressure.

If park footballers can consistently hit 30 metre 45s you are kidding yourself that elite footballers can't. I would love leading to boak Gray motlop rozee Houston Butters they would be able to read my mind and hit me consistently so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Defend Dixon all you want if he was a good forward he would have kicked double the amount of goals to games played and if he was a great forward three goals he averages 1.6 goals. Once again if his role is really to bring it to ground we have the dumbest coach of all time.
Cameron is a completely different player As is Riewoldt and darling they are lead up forwards, not the traditional big key forward. They are hybrids.

we can compare Dixon to Kennedy and Hawkins or even lynch , Hawkins has been much maligned during his career, probably had 2-3 really good seasons. Kennedy is a gun, and where he has Charlie covered is he hardly misses, he can have 4 goals from 4 kicks, lynch has been up and down as well.

you also need to consider who the players delivering to them, compare them to our blokes kicking to Dixon, so when he’s one out and leads the ball goes too high or over his head.. not even Cameron or darl8ng would mark an Ollie wines short pass, nor a SPP kick, nor a Boak kick..

that is our game plan, haven’t you been watching, our game plan is to kick long to Charlie and he brings it to ground, it’s been our game plan for the last 5 years. its certainly our bailout plan..

he’s not going to kick 3-4 goals a game, he may contribute that with his bullocking and pressure and freeing up a player for Marshall and Georgie

Anybody see his interview on that On the Mark show?

Loves his cars, and clearly had some mental struggles from breaking and rehabbing his foot from that late 2018 West Coast game.

He's a sensitive guy and doesn't seem to thrive in a back-against-the-wall situation.

I love big Charlie, but some guys love the adversity of falling over and getting back up and defying the odds, and I think he'll always struggle in that situation.

Cameron is a completely different player As is Riewoldt and darling they are lead up forwards, not the traditional big key forward. They are hybrids.

we can compare Dixon to Kennedy and Hawkins or even lynch , Hawkins has been much maligned during his career, probably had 2-3 really good seasons. Kennedy is a gun, and where he has Charlie covered is he hardly misses, he can have 4 goals from 4 kicks, lynch has been up and down as well.

you also need to consider who the players delivering to them, compare them to our blokes kicking to Dixon, so when he’s one out and leads the ball goes too high or over his head.. not even Cameron or darl8ng would mark an Ollie wines short pass, nor a SPP kick, nor a Boak kick..

that is our game plan, haven’t you been watching, our game plan is to kick long to Charlie and he brings it to ground, it’s been our game plan for the last 5 years. its certainly our bailout plan..

he’s not going to kick 3-4 goals a game, he may contribute that with his bullocking and pressure and freeing up a player for Marshall and Georgie
Yep all of that to say that Charlie Dixon isn't a great forward who stands and wrestles instead of taking the mark. We have other players who deliver the ball inside 50 than Wines and most of the players in our team are good to great kicks it's one of our differentiations to other clubs, but you can only utilise your great kicks if players up the ground move. Look at Lance Franklin he runs directly at the ball carrier with his arms out wide he becomes the only thing the the defenders see they are all drawn to him and he creates space in the forward fifty, thats why hawthorn were able to hit so many kicks into their forward line movement. Without movement you create stagnation which allows the defenders guarding space, time to create a contest either intercepting or bringing the ball to ground.

Yep all of that to say that Charlie Dixon isn't a great forward who stands and wrestles instead of taking the mark. We have other players who deliver the ball inside 50 than Wines and most of the players in our team are good to great kicks it's one of our differentiations to other clubs, but you can only utilise your great kicks if players up the ground move. Look at Lance Franklin he runs directly at the ball carrier with his arms out wide he becomes the only thing the the defenders see they are all drawn to him and he creates space in the forward fifty, thats why hawthorn were able to hit so many kicks into their forward line movement. Without movement you create stagnation which allows the defenders guarding space, time to create a contest either intercepting or bringing the ball to ground.
Ya comparing apples with oranges..

different player types. Plus ya comparing him to one of the AFL greats.

in comparisons with similar players his record isn’t too bad.. what’s Hawkins averages?

in comparisons with similar players his record isn’t too bad.. what’s Hawkins averages?
I shouldn't have to look this up for you but he's kicked over 600 from 270 games. Okay I'm not comparing him to anyone I'm saying running at the ball carrier and creating multiple leads when you're ignored, creates movement in the forward line which creates time and space for the other forwards to move in and be creative.

Honestly not seeing anything different from Charlie lately that I haven't already seen for stretches in 2016, 2018, 2019...

Not sure what the rest of you are getting worked up over. Been accepting and even celebrating this kinda footy for years now...

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Edgie speaks truth

When asked what makes a great forward, guys like Brereton and Carey say 'work rate', now the 80s definition of work was probably different to the 90s one too, but the consistent of working hard is a constant.

He would have had triple the shots. Whether he kicks them or not is a different matter. Last night he was not our worst by a long stretch but also was outplayed by Andrew’s too much. He had two regulation set shots that he missed and a mark/set shot reversed thanks to Hartlett. If he kicked 3 goals or 2.1, it would be a fair bit better.

Ultimately, Dixon will be or at least should be remembered as a big, generally angry key forward, who wrestled a lot, took some nice one handed marks, rarely found space or led and was a pretty hit or miss shot for goal. I would say he has had an average, arguably disappointing career at both clubs. Two very good seasons for us, but in both he let us down in finals. In 2017 because of goal kicking, in 2020 because of his inability to create or find space.

Dixon also never really threw his power around meaningfully. I wouldn't be scared to play on him. I'd be more concerned about playing on Flogarty. Dixon's never been unfair, which I guess is good, but he's also never even managed to hurt someone fairly.

Ultimately, Dixon will be or at least should be remembered as a big, generally angry key forward, who wrestled a lot, took some nice one handed marks, rarely found space or led and was a pretty hit or miss shot for goal. I would say he has had an average, arguably disappointing career at both clubs. Two very good seasons for us, but in both he let us down in finals. In 2017 because of goal kicking, in 2020 because of his inability to create or find space.
And because his coach chooses to focus on him far too much, especially against the better teams in the comp, he makes our forward line very one-dimensional and predictable. Opposition defenders don't even need to think where the ball is going to go - they know that if Georgi, for example, takes off on a lead, no defender bothers to trail them because we will predictably "bomb it to Charlie".

He may win us the occasional game against sides who have no physical match-up for him. But for any well-organised AFL defence who can physically match him, he's no trouble at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And because his coach chooses to focus on him far too much, especially against the better teams in the comp, he makes our forward line very one-dimensional and predictable. Opposition defenders don't even need to think where the ball is going to go - they know that if Georgi, for example, takes off on a lead, no defender bothers to trail them because we will predictably "bomb it to Charlie".

He may win us the occasional game against sides who have no physical match-up for him. But for any well-organised AFL defence who can physically match him, he's no trouble at all.

It's been the same since his first game, Jay Schulz was burned a dozen times in round 1 2016 so we could sit it on Charlie's head. Usually that kind of drilling of how to play takes more than one off season.

Hawkins hasn't kicked less than 46 goals in a season since Steven Salopek donned the black white and teal.

When asked what makes a great forward, guys like Brereton and Carey say 'work rate', now the 80s definition of work was probably different to the 90s one too, but the consistent of working hard is a constant.

They meant work rate at Revolver and Chevron.

I liked the idea of playing him deep but he just draws a crowd and wrestles perhaps the cross country Charlie tactic up field so he can get some uncontested chips 'n dribbles I dunno.

That doesn't mean working hardery, it means working hard but smart. Charlie wears himself out doing all the wrong things.

The problem last night was that our long balls into our forward line either resulted in a clean Brisbane mark (way too often) or a dropped mark by Marshall or Dixon. It was as much about Charlie not bringing the ball to ground as it was his lack of marking. He and Marshall dropped some fairly regulation marks too.

I'd give him a week off maybe two he looks cooked
To be fair and it may be unpopular, I'd move him on at years end, for someone who's been in the system so long and is supposed to lead our forward line he does a piss poor job of it, he gets delivered the ball constantly and does nothing with it. A bunch of argy bargy but very little substance when the whips get cracking.

You've got Joe ******* Daniher bombing 50+ meter goals and taking grabs like it's dry down one end and Charlie "crashing packs" and shaking kicks down the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back