List Mgmt. Big key forward

Remove this Banner Ad

PiesUserName

Senior List
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
So early in the season and we aren't desperate for one right now, but we don't have a potential one learning the craft and we will need one.

As good as De Goey is, he is a medium size forward and I see him having more midfield minutes in the future. I don't see him as a 10 year permenant forward for us, and if he did, I see him as a medium sized forward anyways.

Darcy Moore could play forward but he has looked great down back. He could be a swingman but I think they have found his role. Ideally we would love to have a clone of him to play forward as well, but we don't.

Cox is ok for now, but he is 27 and we can get by for the present but he is not the long term answer.

I think we will be ok for right now, but I don't see this structure as a long term solution.

I don't know if they try for a young prospect in the draft and he can develop while we run with this current setup.

Or run this setup to the ground and look for a ready made solution when required?

By the way, this isn't a knee jerk post based on our loss. Or think our forward line is a big issue right now. I actually like our forward setup, I just don't see it as a long term solution.

Thought?

Looks like the clubs chosen to persist with Cox, time will tell if that bites us on the ass

Thoughts?

Jordan De Goey

End thread.

We’re more desperate for a line breaking defender then a key forward.

We will probably poach a free agent key forward, these days you don't have to groom them necessarily, just throw some cash at them and be near the top of the ladder and they will come.
FA would be ideal, however it would be wise to draft one or two in the next couple of years in case there’s no FA options when Cox retires.

We’re more desperate for a line breaking defender then a key forward.

I think Crisp to an extent provides that when he is on, I think Moore as well with more experience and confidence down back he will take the game on by taking intercept marks and moving on quickly with his athleticsm.

Quaynor I think will be hopefully provide some of this as well if he lives up to his potential.

I think Crisp to an extent provides that when he is on, I think Moore as well with more experience and confidence down back he will take the game on by taking intercept marks and moving on quickly with his athleticsm.

Quaynor I think will be hopefully provide some of this as well if he lives up to his potential.
Crisp provides that when in but you can’t rely just on him, he needs a hand out there, Quaynor is no sure thing, Moore looks good on the occasional dahs but he’s not someone we should be relying on for our run and carry.

Crisp provides that when in but you can’t rely just on him, he needs a hand out there, Quaynor is no sure thing, Moore looks good on the occasional dahs but he’s not someone we should be relying on for our run and carry.
Despite the shanks, Greenwood isn't stagnant like the other defenders. I also think we've lost an outlet through Phillips moving off the wing.

Despite the shanks, Greenwood isn't stagnant like the other defenders.
I think he’d be better than Aish just not the solution.

Crisp is close enough to a sure thing, the kid is near enough to elite in that role despite what a couple of down games might suggest. Aside from Crisp we have Maynard who fits the bill, with Quaynor and Murphy coming through the seconds who look quite talented.

If the criteria is pace and sensational ball use off the back flank, we're certainly lacking in a second player who is elite in both areas, however I can't see it being as big of a need as a key forward.

I think he’d be better than Aish just not the solution.
Unless Quaynor comes on in leaps and bounds or someone like Stevo or WHE can do the role, ther is ni quick solution. I do think that we can patch over it though with Roughhead out , Aish out and Phillips back to the wing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So early in the season and we aren't desperate for one right now, but we don't have a potential one learning the craft and we will need one.

As good as De Goey is, he is a medium size forward and I see him having more midfield minutes in the future. I don't see him as a 10 year permenant forward for us, and if he did, I see him as a medium sized forward anyways.

Darcy Moore could play forward but he has looked great down back. He could be a swingman but I think they have found his role. Ideally we would love to have a clone of him to play forward as well, but we don't.

Cox is ok for now, but he is 27 and we can get by for the present but he is not the long term answer.

I think we will be ok for right now, but I don't see this structure as a long term solution.

I don't know if they try for a young prospect in the draft and he can develop while we run with this current setup.

Or run this setup to the ground and look for a ready made solution when required?

By the way, this isn't a knee jerk post based on our loss. Or think our forward line is a big issue right now. I actually like our forward setup, I just don't see it as a long term solution.

Thought?

A key forward remains our single biggest list need. It has been for years. Trouble is we don't seem great at picking them, they tend to require high picks which we like to trade out, or the trade cost is prohibitive. At least we had a red hot crack at Lynch shows its on our list management radar. Perhaps we can position ourselves to have a crack at Cameron in a few years. There dont seem to be other good options around earlier than that. But I reckon that cap money may end up with Grundy and De Goey.

A key forward remains our single biggest list need. It has been for years. Trouble is we don't seem great at picking them, they tend to require high picks which we like to trade out, or the trade cost is prohibitive. At least we had a red hot crack at Lynch shows its on our list management radar. Perhaps we can position ourselves to have a crack at Cameron in a few years. There dont seem to be other good options around earlier than that. But I reckon that cap money may end up with Grundy and De Goey.
Key forwards just haven't been a priority at drafts, unless Moore counts. We don't have either a Kennedy or a McGovern, and we could do with some quality indigenous chaps with guile, speed, a shimmy and a sharp eye for a goal.

Cameron our of contract at end of 2020.

Stephenson Cox Whe
Elliott Cameron JDG/ Varcoe/Thomas/Atu/Broomhead/ C.Brown

Yes please.

As soon as we focus on key forwards by the time they come on our midfield is too old and that suffers, you're always going to have a weakness somewhere these days as the draft and salary cap makes sure of it but I'm happy enough down there, our forward line is potent enough to kick enough goals if we get it down there enough times. Cox is on and off but what can you expect really, he hasn't had a childhood of playing AFL like most others get to hone their craft. When he's having a good day though I'd prefer him to many other key forwards going around, can be unstoppable marking on his day as we've seen. And he does ground level stuff blokes his size shouldn't be able to do.

Would not be a solution for the now but could Will Kelly become a key forward? I think he played a bit there during the national championships (could be completely wrong) but if he puts on a few kgs he would definitely have the size for it.

On paper we lack a tall forward and have a sensational midfield, but when we lose it's usually becasue we get done in clearances (effectiveness more than numbers) and/or our transition from defence breaks down. Our forward line, despite Cox's unreliability has been really efficient for the last year and a bit.

On paper we lack a tall forward and have a sensational midfield, but when we lose it's usually becasue we get done in clearances (effectiveness more than numbers) and/or our transition from defence breaks down. Our forward line, despite Cox's unreliability has been really efficient for the last year and a bit.
Exactly this, our midfield is limp and it baffles me, on paper it’s so dominant, SuperCoach kings ect but what good is that, we get smashed so often, it really could just be the balance of it. Jeremy Cameron would be great but a real crumbing forward is an actual need and Lachie Whitfield, jeez I’d love him.

Is key forward an issue?
De Goey/Cox/Mihocek/Stephenson/Elliott for mine is fine for the time being.

Any of them I'd be completely comfortable isolating deep. De Goey, Stephenson and Elliott particularly can really cause problems.

It's a need overall I'm in no rush and feel no urgency is required to fulfil. It's more about finding that right guy and when they're available going out and getting them. And I love my guy, but Jack Lukosius would be that most perfect fit if ever he could be had and maybe with Gold Coast having no idea how to use him he can be had more cheaply than should be the case.

Key defence is more where because you're having the matchups dictated to you rather than dictating the matchups yourself that, that extra height is needed and those quality options are needed with greater urgency. There's Moore/Dunn (ACL again). Roughead/Scharenberg/Kelly are those others.

On Kelly as a forward. Having seen it in the TAC Cup last year he was poor. Didn't show me a point of difference. As a key defender, there is at least some chance he comes good, showing improvement and mild promise with his athleticism something to work with.

Cox getting his hands to and dropping most marks aside our forward setup is working very well ATM and is the least of our concerns. According to the AFL app we had 27 SOG from 42 entries on Saturday night one of those numbers stinks and it falls at the feet of the midfield.

Things might change come finals if we’re there, but I have confidence we can kick a winning score. It’s the midfield that concerns me and dominating Richmond’s pop gun midfield papered over some serious cracks, IMO.

Although Cameron post 2019 or 2020 would be ******* awesome!

KPF’s cost an awful lot of salary cap space, and what would the real value of one be to us when we already had 4 players (DeGoey, JT, Stephenson, WHE) in the top 20 goal kickers league wide in 2018? And another player (Mihocek) kicked 29 goals in his 16 games. And another player (Cox) chipped in for 25. And we’ve got attacking midfielders like Beams and Treloar who like to have a ping at goals.

As Buckley implied in his post match presser against WCE, our forward line is OK, we’re getting decent return for our I50’s. Our problem is getting the ball into the forward line, and a KPF isn’t going to help with that. A KPF wouldn’t have made any difference in last year’s GF.

Of course if salary cap were no barrier then we’d happily take the best KPF in the league. But the salary cap is reality and so I reckon a KPF wouldn’t be as valuable to us as what it would be to some other clubs. So unless we can find one who is passionate about Collingwood and will play for us for serious unders, then we can’t afford a gun KPF.

Besides, I think we’re better off as we are spreading the goal kicking load. It’s harder to defend against (does an opposition send their best defender to DeGoey, Elliott or Stephenson? Yikes!). And it provides contingency in case of injury (If WHE was our KPF gun, we’d all be writing 2019 off about now).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back