Big Local Footy Shake-up

Remove this Banner Ad

Leo the Lion, WELL SAID, Falsenine what do you reckon??
Gday Falsenine,would like to hear your thoughts in regards to my post,and im not having a crack at you mate,i just feel this problem occurs from Auskick and then cant be reigned in once the horse has bolted.

I hear what your saying,and mostly in agreeance with you.But,and this is the big BUT.There is no real requirement for these powerhouse clubs to field 6 x u10,5 x u12,4 x u14,3 or 4 x u16 (St.Marys had 4 x u16 las year and will be doing the same this year),and then they lose them because they cant fit them in to 2 Colts sides.But those kids more often than not just give football away,rather than go to lesser clubs,clubs where they really have no links due to being in a powerhouse club system since Auskick
From my observations most local clubs lose a number of players in the transition from U/16's to U/18's. I think this is due to a number of reasons such as players entering VCE, increased focus on winning rather than participation and perceived lack of ability. In the GFL, some of these kids often turn to sides in other leagues where they are likely to get a more of an opportunity. In an ideal world, all clubs would have equal number of junior teams but I don't see why the clubs who have created and developed a strong junior program should be punished and forced to "hand over" teams to other clubs in the region.

Gday Falsenine,would like to hear your thoughts in regards to my post,and im not having a crack at you mate,i just feel this problem occurs from Auskick and then cant be reigned in once the horse has bolted.
Maybe the solution lies in capping Auskick numbers at each club and designating kids from certain suburbs to a nearby club. But it's obviously not a quick-fix because if it was we wouldn't be talking about. A question for you Leo, if you lived in the Newcomb area would you encourage your son to start his junior football there or would you opt for a more competitive club with a more successful culture?

Maybe the solution lies in capping Auskick numbers at each club and designating kids from certain suburbs to a nearby club. But it's obviously not a quick-fix because if it was we wouldn't be talking about. A question for you Leo, if you lived in the Newcomb area would you encourage your son to start his junior football there or would you opt for a more competitive club with a more successful culture?
Fair question Falsenine,I came from an elite junior football club South of the Barwon and I'm now involved with a club in the third tier local football.If we are all given choice then most of us would take our kids to Auskick based in GFL,but if the powers that run local footy subscribed to the suggestion of capping numbers at club based Auskick,then yes I would embrace the concept and work my butt of to make my designated Auskick centre the very best it can be,and there would be areal sense of belonging to the club in your own backyard.Newcomb junior football club was a powerhouse when I played juniors in the late 70s to mid 80s.Would love to talk more but I've got to go and watch abasketball grand final
Regards,
Leo the Lion

The Clubs appear to be united in asking that a points/relegation system be introduced for a period of 1-2 years before league re-structuring takes place. Will AFL Barwon listen to its clubs?

Hi fellas, I attended Torquay v Moddewarre on Saturday night as a tourist and was surprised by some of the talk. It might be just that - talk - but there were a lot of people suggesting that Torquay and Geelong Amateurs would be moving into the GFL. Is there any truth to this? I read on here about a shake up for Geelong footy which is going to reduce the GFL to 10 teams, which would seem likely to mean Lara and Nth getting the shove, but if 2 more were to come in obviously another 2 would have to go to keep it to 10 teams. Which clubs would be next in the firing line? Torquay is a big place now so could probably make the step up, but given that Amateurs seem to get a lot of players from other Geelong clubs, would it be a wise move for them and could they compete long term if that recruiting stream was stemmed a bit by such a move? Or is it all just bulldust?

Hi fellas, I attended Torquay v Moddewarre on Saturday night as a tourist and was surprised by some of the talk. It might be just that - talk - but there were a lot of people suggesting that Torquay and Geelong Amateurs would be moving into the GFL. Is there any truth to this? I read on here about a shake up for Geelong footy which is going to reduce the GFL to 10 teams, which would seem likely to mean Lara and Nth getting the shove, but if 2 more were to come in obviously another 2 would have to go to keep it to 10 teams. Which clubs would be next in the firing line? Torquay is a big place now so could probably make the step up, but given that Amateurs seem to get a lot of players from other Geelong clubs, would it be a wise move for them and could they compete long term if that recruiting stream was stemmed a bit by such a move? Or is it all just bulldust?
Well AFL Barwon had a forum last night, and something's going to happen, hopefully sooner rather than later in my opinion. And depending on which club each person supports, different people want different outcomes. Look at last weeks BFL results for example, Ammo's beat last years runners up by over 20 goals, last years 2nd bottom beat last years wooden spooners Newcomb by over 30 goals. What will Ammos do to Newcomb, even if they rest half their team, it will still be an over 45 goal win? The Ammos must go up to GFL in 2016, the other team to go up depends on this years results.

Well AFL Barwon had a forum last night, and something's going to happen, hopefully sooner rather than later in my opinion. And depending on which club each person supports, different people want different outcomes. Look at last weeks BFL results for example, Ammo's beat last years runners up by over 20 goals, last years 2nd bottom beat last years wooden spooners Newcomb by over 30 goals. What will Ammos do to Newcomb, even if they rest half their team, it will still be an over 45 goal win? The Ammos must go up to GFL in 2016, the other team to go up depends on this years results.

You may be right about Ammos and I dont think they would necessarily be against that anyway but AFL Barwon have said they want to reduce the GFL by 2 teams so for Ammos to go in would mean 3 teams out. Those 3 most likely then go to the BFL. The BFL is to stay at 10 teams also so then 3 teams go out of there. This is my worry, who are those 3 teams? Newcombe more than likely with no disrespect then who? The other 2 are what concerns me. Surely trialling the points system before any team/league changes makes more sense. In reality there will always be a top side and a bottom side in every league and I think the notion of making changes so the difference between the top and bottom team will be a couple of goals is at best unrealistic. Certainly some interesting times ahead with the footy around Geelong.

I really don't see the need to re-introduce a salary cap if a fair points system is brought in. Salary caps are impossible to police at this level. AFL Barwon say the penalties for breaching the cap will be severe but that only applies to teams who get caught. How could they prevent a large corporation paying an ex-AFL player $100k to work as a marketing consultant?

You may be right about Ammos and I dont think they would necessarily be against that anyway but AFL Barwon have said they want to reduce the GFL by 2 teams so for Ammos to go in would mean 3 teams out. Those 3 most likely then go to the BFL. The BFL is to stay at 10 teams also so then 3 teams go out of there. This is my worry, who are those 3 teams? Newcombe more than likely with no disrespect then who? The other 2 are what concerns me. Surely trialling the points system before any team/league changes makes more sense. In reality there will always be a top side and a bottom side in every league and I think the notion of making changes so the difference between the top and bottom team will be a couple of goals is at best unrealistic. Certainly some interesting times ahead with the footy around Geelong.

I was of the opinion if restructuring does happen then Bell Post Hill and North Geelong would probably move into the BFL so realistically 5 teams would then have to go to the 14 team GDFL? Is that how it is meant to work. Ammos up to GFL - 3 down to BFL with 2 go up - means 5 to GDFL?

Relax a bit boys.
Ammos aren't going up - that's what they want to do but their demographic - right near Newtown and St Josephs will hold them back. If you notice all the articles about going up are from them. They would survive financially no doubt but that's not all AFL Barwon are looking at. Torquay are certainties for top tier should it go to a tiered system. Drysdale and Ocean Grove (big clubs in football/Netball) are closer than ammos but they wont go up. Lara should stay (growing area) - they just have to get it together!! The danger clubs to drop down are Geelong West and North Shore. The growth and participation rates that side of town drop every year. Just remember this isn't only about football its about football and Netball!! The reason for ongoing meetings is that clubs like West, Lara and North Shore are rightfully so trying to hold on to play in top division - they see the evening up of competition coming from points system/salary cap. So they want competitions to stay the same but these systems introduced - which is fair enough!!! AFL Barwon believe if points system and salary cap introduced Ammos wont be winning by as much as they are at the moment. 1) they wouldn't be able to recruit the amount of GFL players they do know because of being over points system and 2) their existing match payments would be slashed in half. Ive jumped around a bit here but have a good handle on whats going on

Relax a bit boys.
Ammos aren't going up - that's what they want to do but their demographic - right near Newtown and St Josephs will hold them back. If you notice all the articles about going up are from them. They would survive financially no doubt but that's not all AFL Barwon are looking at. Torquay are certainties for top tier should it go to a tiered system. Drysdale and Ocean Grove (big clubs in football/Netball) are closer than ammos but they wont go up. Lara should stay (growing area) - they just have to get it together!! The danger clubs to drop down are Geelong West and North Shore. The growth and participation rates that side of town drop every year. Just remember this isn't only about football its about football and Netball!! The reason for ongoing meetings is that clubs like West, Lara and North Shore are rightfully so trying to hold on to play in top division - they see the evening up of competition coming from points system/salary cap. So they want competitions to stay the same but these systems introduced - which is fair enough!!! AFL Barwon believe if points system and salary cap introduced Ammos wont be winning by as much as they are at the moment. 1) they wouldn't be able to recruit the amount of GFL players they do know because of being over points system and 2) their existing match payments would be slashed in half. Ive jumped around a bit here but have a good handle on whats going on
Can someone PLEASE confirm or deny what I've heard, ie. that Peter Street is on $2000 a game at Geelong Amatuers. Surely that cannot be true??

Relax a bit boys.

You make some strong points here but I would agree to disagree that Drysdale and/or O Grove would go into the GFL ahead of Ammos. Not sure what you base that on with Ammos winning both football & netball flags last year. I understand about where they are based in relation to Joeys and Newtown but that hasnt affected either of those teams being so close to each other. Torquay no doubt would be a walk up starter with their growing population and financial strength. I think one thing for certain is there will be some very unhappy people from the affected clubs so I respect all clubs for fighting hard to stay in the leagues they feel they should be in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make some strong points here but I would agree to disagree that Drysdale and/or O Grove would go into the GFL ahead of Ammos. Not sure what you base that on with Ammos winning both football & netball flags last year. I understand about where they are based in relation to Joeys and Newtown but that hasnt affected either of those teams being so close to each other. Torquay no doubt would be a walk up starter with their growing population and financial strength. I think one thing for certain is there will be some very unhappy people from the affected clubs so I respect all clubs for fighting hard to stay in the leagues they feel they should be in.
I've heard no denials, so I assume Peter Street is getting $2000 or more per game at Ammos? So, if they are only paying $113000 per season for the whole team as they stated last year at a Presidents meeting, I estimate that the whole rest of the team gets $73000 between 41 players, including reserves. They are either liars, or the rest of the team really are AMATUERS. I think they are liars, only my opinion though of course. Nick off AMMOS.

I've heard no denials, so I assume Peter Street is getting $2000 or more per game at Ammos? So, if they are only paying $113000 per season for the whole team as they stated last year at a Presidents meeting, I estimate that the whole rest of the team gets $73000 between 41 players, including reserves. They are either liars, or the rest of the team really are AMATUERS. I think they are liars, only my opinion though of course. Nick off AMMOS.
$113,000 they claim. They aren't kidding anyone.

As an ex player in the BFL during the 70s and 80s it is a shame to see the state it's in. My own club suffered many lean years in the 80s, 90s and early 00s but have been able to build back up through developing local talent and importing the odd gun. Newcomb and Portarlington, powerhouses in days gone by, have struggled for years with Newcomb being ruined by money. Ammos and Torquay need to move on to GFL and possibly Anglesea, to correctly align them geographically. Not sure about clubs north of Geelong coming to the BFL. Perhaps St Leonards and Leopold should be returned.

You really are a pathetic human being. Do you really think the few people in the know would feel compelled to log on here and tell a flog like you how much he's getting paid? It's none of your business nor anyone else's.

From my observations most local clubs lose a number of players in the transition from U/16's to U/18's. I think this is due to a number of reasons such as players entering VCE, increased focus on winning rather than participation and perceived lack of ability. In the GFL, some of these kids often turn to sides in other leagues where they are likely to get a more of an opportunity. In an ideal world, all clubs would have equal number of junior teams but I don't see why the clubs who have created and developed a strong junior program should be punished and forced to "hand over" teams to other clubs in the region.

I would suspect in a country town a lot of kids move to Melbourne for uni, also a lot take up part time jobs tgat require them to work weekends and all of a sudden footy isnt as important to them anymore.

I kind of agree letting the strong clubs stockpile jnr talent is at tge crux of the issue, but what I s the solution?? Restrictibg clubs to 2 j n r sides at each level would spread the players better, the only other thing that could work is zoning but that comes with its own issues.

I think some clubs need to look at merging. Merging would make certain clubs more viable in certain areas. Not just reducing the number of clubs but also swelling their junior numbers.

It's not like some of the existing GFL clubs aren't the products of merged clubs. South Barwon and West Saints being the examples.

Obvious candidates for merging now would be North Shore and Corio for example. Newcomb merging with one of the several clubs in that area would make sense.

You really are a pathetic human being. Do you really think the few people in the know would feel compelled to log on here and tell a flog like you how much he's getting paid? It's none of your business nor anyone else's.
I and many others think it's relevant. I'm entitled to an opinion, and I am asking a question from what I've heard. Crawl back into your little black hole and go away. This forum is for people with facts and opinions, whether they are proven right or wrong, not for self centred idiots like you. I've read a lot of your post's, they are not very interesting, you are self opinionated, and you think you know everything. (But that's just my opinion)

I and many others think it's relevant. I'm entitled to an opinion, and I am asking a question from what I've heard. Crawl back into your little black hole and go away. This forum is for people with facts and opinions, whether they are proven right or wrong, not for self centred idiots like you. I've read a lot of your post's, they are not very interesting, you are self opinionated, and you think you know everything. (But that's just my opinion)
I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, but your original post was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here. It wasn't even an opinion, you just asked "is player X getting $2000 per game?" And after a day when no one had responded to your outrageous question you announced "well I assume it's true" and began teeing off on the club in question. I know some decent fellas down at Portarlington but the way you carry on in this forum, you're an embarrassment to the entire club.

I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, but your original post was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here. It wasn't even an opinion, you just asked "is player X getting $2000 per game?" And after a day when no one had responded to your outrageous question you announced "well I assume it's true" and began teeing off on the club in question. I know some decent fellas down at Portarlington but the way you carry on in this forum, you're an embarrassment to the entire club.
No worries Gumby.

No worries Gumby, you keep up the personal attacks, I'll concentrate on the FOOTY ISSUES.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back