Prediction Big Ups

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
The season proper

So shut down discussion til after round 5 so everyone gets a fair run before being critiqued?

We applaud and heap likes upon the posters who declare their newfound confidence in Cuningham, or admit they were wrong about doubting Walsh's star quality. So why can't we show a little more respect for those who express some trepidation about their hoped-for improvement in other players?

There's nothing wrong with having high hopes and reassessing or adjusting expectations based on the preseason.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
So shut down discussion til after round 5 so everyone gets a fair run before being critiqued?

We applaud and heap likes upon the posters who declare their newfound confidence in Cuningham, or admit they were wrong about doubting Walsh's star quality. So why can't we show a little more respect for those who express some trepidation about their hoped-for improvement in other players?

There's nothing wrong with having high hopes and reassessing or adjusting expectations based on the preseason.

No. You’ve changed original discussion. Now way off topic

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Nothing other than its a load of virtual hot air based on very limited intel. Why not just enjoy things instead and find positives is how I look at it.
I remember watching us losing endless practice matches and looking awful over the years. Round one when its for keeps they often go bang.
Hopefully this season is one of them.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
No. You’ve changed original discussion. Now way off topic

Huh? Original post - which players are you feeling really buoyant about, and which were you feeling that way about but are having some doubts post preseason. That's the premise, and while you seem happy to promote glowing reviews of players who do well in preseason, it's somehow unfair for someone to suggest they've tempered their expectations on the back of preseason performances?

Nothing other than its a load of virtual hot air based on very limited intel. Why not just enjoy things instead and find positives is how I look at it.
I remember watching us losing endless practice matches and looking awful over the years. Round one when its for keeps they often go bang.

I've taken a heap of positives out of this preseason. But I also really appreciate when someone takes a balanced approach and also looks at the areas where we can hope to see further improvement.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Yep. What I don’t get is people rating a player then don’t after 1 or 2 pre season games.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep. What I don’t get is people rating a player then don’t after 1 or 2 pre season games.

Where is this 180 backflip you're talking about? The thread isn't "Who did you rate last year but now think they're shite" - it's about who has risen in your predictions and who hasn't improved as much as expected, due to form, fitness or role. You're welcome to reserve judgement, we all should, but it's a perfectly reasonable discussion to have, and doesn't equate to people "not rating players any more".

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Where is this 180 backflip you're talking about? The thread isn't "Who did you rate last year but now think they're shite" - it's about who has risen in your predictions and who hasn't improved as much as expected, due to form, fitness or role. You're welcome to reserve judgement, we all should, but it's a perfectly reasonable discussion to have, and doesn't equate to people "not rating players any more".
Yep. If I put someone in the more negative sounding category it doesn't mean I don't rate them. Just means I haven't seen the expected improvement thus far this year. Of course its subject to change. Its no different to saying I think SPS has taken off. Anyway. My nominations, which are based on my expected improvement for 2019.

Feeling it:
Walsh
Weitering
Cuningham
SPS
Mckay
Setterfield

Was feeling it but not so sure:
Macreadie
Kennedy
Phillips
McGovern
Murphy

Another sneaky category

Wasn't feeling it but am starting to now:
Garlett
Daisy
Jones
JSos

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
For mine we continue to ignore the bleeding obvious.

CRIPPS.

Ffs the guy has improved AGAIN. We don’t talk about him anywhere near enough.

He’s the best player we’ve ever had. EVER. He’s better than Judd. He just is. In my view he’s the best player in the game.

He will kick more than 20 goals this year and still top the contested ball count. He will win the AFLPA MVP and the Brownlow.

He stood next to the ‘big bodied mid’ Pendles and made him look like a grade 2 kid on Monday. Yet he’s lost 4kg in order to improve his speed. It’s worked. How well is he moving??

It’s good to be excited about the kids. Walsh is a legend.

Let’s give the King his due credit.

And yes I’m talking to myself (or rather at myself). I’ve banged on about Walsh all summer. Time I balanced that up a bit.

Oh btw. Walsh is the second best Carlton player ever. Just saying.

Have a nice night.

They all need to get a taste of winning- they will need to mongrel up before they can enjoy the confidence that comes with a few wins. If JLT is to be beleived all the players look a lot fitter than they did last year.

I really rate our forward line with Fasolo and McGovern in it and Cuningham starting to get a roll on.

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Cripps- will best in the top 5 players in the league by years end.
SPS- kid is a jet, could be a genuine match winner, think he’s ready to step up big time.
Weitering, people have forgotten just how good he was in that 1st year, he has uber talent
Cuningham, has all the tools to be that, explosive goal kicker we are in desperate need of.
McKay, will be a knightmare to match up on, 200cm+ KPF that runs like the wind and has good skills to go with it.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

CRIPPS.

He’s the best player we’ve ever had. EVER. He’s better than Judd. He just is. In my view he’s the best player in the game.

He will kick more than 20 goals this year and still top the contested ball count. He will win the AFLPA MVP and the Brownlow.

He stood next to the ‘big bodied mid’ Pendles and made him look like a grade 2 kid on Monday. Yet he’s lost 4kg in order to improve his speed. It’s worked. How well is he moving??

And yes I’m talking to myself (or rather at myself). I’ve banged on about Walsh all summer. Time I balanced that up a bit.

Have a nice night.
Just feel like I’m having a good year. That’s all.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton

CRIPPS.

Have a nice night.
I love your enthusiasm however, He isn't the best ever. Long way to go.
If he wins four premierships he will be up there with the greats of our club and the game.
Jezza was the best and Big Nick and Bruce Doull almost dead even. Theres Sticks and Harmes and Ashman and Keogh and Walls and Johnston.
Its wise to wait till after someone retires to make the call.

Back