BigAnt Studios to develop AFL Live 3 - Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

We certainly don't hold it as the definitive AFL game by a long stretch, it was planned to be the first in a series and as a base we're pretty proud of it - IMO it's the best AFL game ever made, it was made with passion and knowledge of the game.

I go to the EB Stores every week, see AFL Live 1 constantly for sale in the "Best Selling Preowned", which is crazy for a six year old game that has had sequels. I am a die-hard, go every week AFL Fan (regardless of whether we are expected to win or lose or get flogged :( ), and like a lot of people here I lament what could have been.
So much so that you're going to release an unlicensed aussie rules game right?

Why doesn't the AFL just fund a game :(

Pure monetary reasons I'm guessing. The choice probably goes something like this... Pay xxx amount of dollars with no guaranteed return OR take a crisp Million (just guessing the price) from the licensing fee.

You can't do a kickstarter because Tru Blu hold the licence and wont be very happy if one of their regularly collaborating developers tries to make a game in direct competition with them.

The complaints need to go to Tru Blu and Tru Blu only really.

The issue isn't the AFL funding a game - it's the AFL not expecting license fees that kill it.

i was daydreaming at work today, what if big ant could develop a Gaelic football video game, they already have the engine to a degree and then have it released with a team editor...obviously I have no idea about the market size for a game like that though..

It's an Irishman that heads up Casey Powell Lacrosse 16 - he's chomping at the bit to do Hurling and Gaelic football, hopefully one day that makes sense financially to do.

It's an Irishman that heads up Casey Powell Lacrosse 16 - he's chomping at the bit to do Hurling and Gaelic football, hopefully one day that makes sense financially to do.

I used to love playing gaelic footy and hurling on my old ps2....i still have the games i think - great fun!

Last edited:
Marvel VP on their game development strategy...if only one day something like this came out of the mouth of an AFL rep:

"One of the things we really focus on in terms of our new strategy is that we all believe that great games drive the brand and great games are what our fans really deserve. The question is, 'How we can get there?' The thing we landed on is to be really selective with who we partner with. Extremely selective. Right now I would say that out of every ten opportunities we look at, we maybe do one.

What we look at first and foremost is the talent level of partner. Are they world class in building the games we're talking about? They have to have world-class talent. They have to be able to invest the resources to make that talent sing. Equally important is, do they have passion for the IP they're working on? Do they share the same ambition? Do they love the character? We look for passion, that comes through in the first 30 seconds."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/43587/marvel-gaming-chief-talks-future-plans

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All signs point towards the next AFL game being released soon. Why? Look at the clues - Tru Blu do not advertise their AFL games, and currently there is no advertising on the next AFL game. Therefore, all signs positive!

Last edited:
Why can't Big Ant create a new and improved AFL game but make it unlicensed? By using the Fanhub game owners could easily create and share the AFL teams, uniforms and even stadiums. I for one would rather see a new game with fictional teams than no game at all.

Why can't Big Ant create a new and improved AFL game but make it unlicensed? By using the Fanhub game owners could easily create and share the AFL teams, uniforms and even stadiums. I for one would rather see a new game with fictional teams than no game at all.

Because their publisher also publishes the Wicked Witch version and probably wouldn't be too happy to Big Ant making a direct competitor to one of their titles.

But the unlicenced thing worked perfectly in DBC

* me. I just want a sniff of news about a potential AFL Live 3. Wouldn't care if it was going to be AFL 2007 with updated lists. Just wanna have a bash of a new AFL game.

TruBlu...I hate you

Because their publisher also publishes the Wicked Witch version and probably wouldn't be too happy to Big Ant making a direct competitor to one of their titles.

But the unlicenced thing worked perfectly in DBC

That's like stopping the Avengers from being made because you're backing Fantastic Four.

Now I am become Trublu, destroyer of good AFL games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back