Bigeasy's Tour of Italy 13 March to 9 April 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

5 days seems like a lot for the 5T. Unless you have a really relaxed itinerary and are intent on soaking in the vibe a day per village might be a bit dull. Pisa is on the way there by train. I’d be inclined to lop off a day and pop in. Just be careful with your valuables.

For all the horror stories about scams and stuff, that was the only place I’ve been Italy that felt genuinely dodgy. Worth seeing the good bits tho.

Cinque Terre is the last 5 days of my trip and the intention is to just unwind, soak in the atmosphere and let life pass me by. Spending a couple of nighhts in Vernazza in an apartment over looking the sea. Intend to indulge in the local cuisine and enjoy the sights. I think 5 days is perfect ;)

Going from memory here,

2nd oldest continued inhabited city in the world. The whole city is basically carved into mountainside.

It was pretty much a ghetto till a few years back and then gentrification took course and it’s now been named the cultural capital of Italy. Restaurants, cafes are inside caves that were carved out thousands of years ago.

Sounds great. Will check it out

Cinque Terre is the last 5 days of my trip and the intention is to just unwind, soak in the atmosphere and let life pass me by. Spending a couple of nighhts in Vernazza in an apartment over looking the sea. Intend to indulge in the local cuisine and enjoy the sights. I think 5 days is perfect ;)
Ah, quando lo dici così, sembra perfetto. Non lasciarmi fermarti.

(Insalata di acciughe a Monterosso va molto bene).

Ah, quando lo dici così, sembra perfetto. Non lasciarmi fermarti.

(Insalata di acciughe a Monterosso va molto bene).

Spending a night at Monterosso

Hopefully an Italian Topless Protester Jumps in front of yah Big Fella. :stern look

Me too Zondor, will give her a NMFC cap if it happens

Re the scams above........

On my first trip to Rome back in the early 90's my then missus and I boarded a bus and almost immediately encountered a gypsy woman who shoved a baby in my then gf's arms. We'd been warned about it but didn't need to do much as the locals were sensational, taking the baby back and putting it in the gypsy mum's arms while quickly ferrying her and her family off the bus, all with a hail of Italian expletives. They were apologising to us straight after saying "I wisha youa didn't havea to deala witha that! They'rea picka pockets!"

Great people who helped. :thumbsu:
Similar story, T.

Headed over to England a few years ago and made my way to Amsterdam.

We had a stopover in Brussels some point during this trip and by that stage I was dying for a dart.

Anyway, as I'm having a cigarette at Brussels station, this elderly gypsy woman came over trying to hustle me for cash and I wasn't having a bar if it...man, I was born and raised in the Fitzroy commission flats since 88'...ain't no mother*er is outsmarting me.

Or so I thought. She comes back with a brand new BABY, shoves the kid near my face and starts speaking a language I've never heard but I interpreted it as "This a baby, man!? How you gonna let a baby be like this!?".

So I ended up 'giving' her some money.

Them people can hustle real good, next level stuff. Props.

Similar story, T.

Headed over to England a few years ago and made my way to Amsterdam.

We had a stopover in Brussels some point during this trip and by that stage I was dying for a dart.

Anyway, as I'm having a cigarette at Brussels station, this elderly gypsy woman came over trying to hustle me for cash and I wasn't having a bar if it...man, I was born and raised in the Fitzroy commission flats since 88'...ain't no mother****** is outsmarting me.

Or so I thought. She comes back with a brand new BABY, shoves the kid near my face and starts speaking a language I've never heard but I interpreted it as "This a baby, man!? How you gonna let a baby be like this!?".

So I ended up 'giving' her some money.

Them people can hustle real good, next level stuff. Props.

We live and learn CQ. I got sucked in by one of those scam crews who operate the pea and the three cups trick. Looked piss easy as I looked on for five minutes so I duly whacked down a hundred franc note (we were in Zurich Switzerland).

Bang, down a hundred.

Bang, down another.

Others down also then suddenly they pack up the table and cups and piss off as if they'd been spotted. Half the crowd were members of their scam group and I subsequently learnt this is their modus operandi.

Live and bloody learn.

If you do get to Pisa, you may want to help the club out and do some recruiting... Because we all know the NMFC needs some pace!

Just stick around the, umm, athletic looking fellas selling trinkets & souvenirs off a blanket or tarp. Then press play on your pre-recorded police siren on your phone. Whichever bloke picks up all his merchandise without fumbling & runs the fastest, sign him up as a category B rookie!

Just for balance - I've travelled around Italy twice, in 1998 and 2013, and never come up against any gypsies, pickpockets or other thievery. Just take sensible precautions and you should be fine.

I do know someone who got caught unawares by the ring on the ground scam in Paris - didn't cost a lot, more that they felt like a goose for being sucked in.

If you do get to Pisa, you may want to help the club out and do some recruiting... Because we all know the NMFC needs some pace!

Just stick around the, umm, athletic looking fellas selling trinkets & souvenirs off a blanket or tarp. Then press play on your pre-recorded police siren on your phone. Whichever bloke picks up all his merchandise without fumbling & runs the fastest, sign him up as a category B rookie!

Mrs Gaso bought 3 quality brand name bags in the Car Park at Pisa.

Just for balance - I've travelled around Italy twice, in 1998 and 2013, and never come up against any gypsies, pickpockets or other thievery. Just take sensible precautions and you should be fine.

I do know someone who got caught unawares by the ring on the ground scam in Paris - didn't cost a lot, more that they felt like a goose for being sucked in.

Never?

1998 some...the rubber bean bags at the Trevi were a highlight.

2014...everywhere.

We did Trains from city to city...maybe that explains things...but definetly every tourist icon had some group loitering selling water, beer, trinkets, tours..Notre Dame...Eiffel...Pisa..Vatican..Florence/Rome...all types of stuff either passive aggressive or straight out aggressive.

Venice and Milan less so in the cities.

Milan train station allowed gypsies onto the platform which was disconcerting around suitcases and managing a 12 year old girl

Always met with no.

Anywho...would do it all again tomorrow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Florence is littered with gypsies now!! It’s ridiculous.

If you get the opportunity Bigeasy go to a small wine bar called casa del vino just on the outskirts of the centrale mercado in Florence.

Best porchetta getting around - only open during the day too! The old fella will sort you out with a glass of something really beautiful

When we went we flew into Venice, immediately got on a train and spent the first two nights in Bologna. Tortellini for days!!!

Drove from Bologna to Barolo in piedmont, and stopped off at a few places along the way. The Parma cathedral is an amazing spot to see one of the most beautiful paintings I’ve ever seen.

The assumption of the virgin ABF543B8-3DCE-4B73-B7C9-6624A3535CA6.jpeg

Amazing! Painted ******* years ago all in the top of a dome!

We went on a 12 guided tour there after three days in Barolo, as my wife was working in marketing for a travel company at the time!

Siena, Venice and Cinque Terre all highlights

My parents are going there for a holiday soon.

If you have any tips for them I'll kindly be appreciated and hope you have a safe trip home :)

isnt that weird !
we're basically swapping continents roughly the same time.
I'm flying out to China/oz on the 17th March back home on the 7th April.

Have a great trip. And eat away from the tourist spots.

Mate you just about stated my iteniry.

I am staying in Rome for 6 daus and then ive hired a car and driving to Venice, Bologna, Florence and the Tuscany region, Perugia, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and plenty of other towns and villas in between. And then when that's done I'm on the train to Cinque Terre for 5 days staying first night at Rommigierre and walking to the 5 towns. Staying two night in Vernazza in an apartment overlooking the sea. :thumbsu:

Venice is gonna cost you a lung........you may have to take out another mortgage.
Amalfi coast cannot be beaten !! Positano, Sorrento etc >> Brilliant !
Loved Pompei !
Where are you staying in Rome? central ?? Probably be smarter to stay on the outskirts of Rome and do day trips into the city. Reason being you get a better real experience compared to the tourist machine of the city. PM me on streaming. Oz.

Mate don't go to Rome, watch the video series, covers all the historical sites and you could probably blow up some still shots and put yourself in them, job done! Vatican should b renamed Sardine a'can, stay away, unless that is you fear for your immoral soul , eye roll thingy.

If you have to go to Rome there is a place via train less than an hour away which is the site of the old port of rome, Ostia Antica in great nick and virtually no tourists and no security (hire a metal detector and you will pay for your whole holiday, winky thingy)

You can watch footy at any city on the planet at an Irish Pub/Bar just ring and check if they have the right channel, tell then you're an Aussie and they will usually open as required and put the match on, from memory Poets Corner in Rome.

Other best thing about Rome, a fiend of a fiend lives there and she got us some donkey gelati which was very creamy and my wife said is delicious, enjoy!

Basta!

Hi all well my first day in Rome last Tuesday and I left my phone in the cab and haven't been able to post. Lo and behold the can driver calls me tonight and says he has my phone and just dropped it off. Woo hoo.

Anyway I've taken some pics and I will be posting them shortly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back