Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
Advice for a new road bike

oooo ... a cycling board. anyway, should be starting a new job soon which pays reasonably well and first on the shopping list is a road bike. I'm pretty much new to cycling but have had a brief look at what's going around.

I'm looking at around the $1500 - $2000 mark for a road bike with Ultegra 105s, carbon fibre framing and the wheels i'm not sure on.

I'm 184cm - 86kg. Advice?

Re: Advice for a new road bike

oooo ... a cycling board. anyway, should be starting a new job soon which pays reasonably well and first on the shopping list is a road bike. I'm pretty much new to cycling but have had a brief look at what's going around.

I'm looking at around the $1500 - $2000 mark for a road bike with Ultegra 105s, carbon fibre framing and the wheels i'm not sure on.

Giant Defy Alliance Sport is an alright bike.

Look at the Giant range for that price. Avanti too are good bikes and very affordable.

Pinarello are good too.

Giant Defy Alliance Sport is an alright bike.

Look at the Giant range for that price. Avanti too are good bikes and very affordable.

Pinarello are good too.

You won't get a Pinarello for under $2g's!!

For value for money you can't go past Giant, but I wouldn't be seen on one (cycling snob!) I ride an Argon 18 Platinum...

I'm also looking at buying my first road bike although looking at spending $1000-$1200. Has anyone had any experience with Cell bikes? Bikes seem to offer pretty good gear for the price.

check around a few stores and see if you can find some of last years models still around. there are some very good deals going around if you get a little lucky

check around a few stores and see if you can find some of last years models still around. there are some very good deals going around if you get a little lucky

Last years models are generally the exactly same as the new 2010 bar the paint job, so much better value.

Did a little bike shopping on the weekend and found last years Shogun Katana on sale with full 105 groupset for around $1200. Tried doing a little research on Shogun bikes but doesn't appear to be to much info on the net. Anyone had any experience with Shogun?

Happens the other day I met with a guy who I haven't caught up with in ages. Just randomly asked him what he's up to these days, as you do, and turns out he's an area manager of a bike store chain. Will be following up on more details soon but looks like a good hook up.

Did a little bike shopping on the weekend and found last years Shogun Katana on sale with full 105 groupset for around $1200. Tried doing a little research on Shogun bikes but doesn't appear to be to much info on the net. Anyone had any experience with Shogun?

I used to ride a Shogun Ninja (pale blue with wavy, cloud like decals - hawt!) as a training bike back in the day (in the 90s).

It was heavy but indestructible. 105 is renowned for it durability.

Is that a new price? I bought mine second hand (this was the time when STI shifters were just starting to become de rigueur for middle-of-the-road bikes) for about $500. I think somebody at my old club is still racing on it today.

Shogun may not be a great brand, but form experience they build a robust bike.

/nostalgia

That said, there are lots of entry level bikes around now, the new Apollos look quite good. I think the most important thing to do is to keep going to bike stores and talking to the people there. You will usually be able to pick up a "last years model" for half the original sticker price or less. This will being some better quality bikes into your price range (e.g. Trek, Giant).

Have a look on ebay. I picked up a bianchi (never ridden before) for $1275 and it retails at $3500

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That said, there are lots of entry level bikes around now, the new Apollos look quite good. I think the most important thing to do is to keep going to bike stores and talking to the people there. You will usually be able to pick up a "last years model" for half the original sticker price or less. This will being some better quality bikes into your price range (e.g. Trek, Giant).

I've got a 2008 Trek 1.7, picked it up with pedals and shoes for just under $2k. Absolutely love it, very comfortable and rarely have a problem with it. Pretty quick as well.

New Road Bike

G’day Guys,

I’m looking at investing in a road bike in the next couple of months and don’t want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars.

If someone could give me a hand at what sort of bike I should be looking at and what brands are the more reliable ones and where I can get my value for money that would be great!!

I’m basically after something to ride from my place to work and back on weekdays (about 40-50km).

Thanks in advance!

Re: New Road Bike

Bikes choices are quite individual in my experience. Especially if you're going for recreational use.

Cycling to work and back you might want some of the comforts that a racing bike doesn't offer. If you're not carrying too much, and have easy access to showers or changing rooms on the other hand, the joy of a racer is fabulous :D

You don't need to spend large amounts to get something decent anyway. Full carbon frames, trying to shave off those last couple of hundred grams, and electric gears are just not worth the cash. A bit like taking a Formula one car on your daily commute.

Personally, I've had my old racer for 10 years now (a Ridley). Then it was pretty expensive as I was still competing on a serious level, but by now, it's not much different from a new base racer. I got my wife a new one last month (we'll be cycling up Mt Ventoux next spring) for about € 700 (1100AUSD or so?). It's a Giant Defy. Not super light, but very strong, good balance. You trade in a bit of super-duper technology and light weight speed for reliability, but that's the sort of thing I'd be looking for if you go for a racer.

Defy%20ltd%20mat%20black.jpg

Obviously travelling 40-50km you want something you're able to enjoy and be comfortable on. As Sigwald said, it really is personal preference, go out, try a few and see how you respond. Bikes like Giant, Trek, Avanti, you can get something nice for under 2k (not sure what your price range is though).

Very small discussion a while back here that may be able to help.

Personally, i've had my Trek 2.1 bike for a few months now. Rode it about 15km km a day to training and back (currently overseas), rides beautifully.

Obviously travelling 40-50km you want something you're able to enjoy and be comfortable on. As Sigwald said, it really is personal preference, go out, try a few and see how you respond. Bikes like Giant, Trek, Avanti, you can get something nice for under 2k (not sure what your price range is though).

That's it. Just try as many bikes as you can, and see what you like the feel of. Service is also vital.

I'm a big Orbea fan, because for me, right up the scale, they make the best bikes for me. But it will be different for you. I wouldn't go any lower than Tiagra and preferably 105, with carbon forks. Orbea also do a couple of decent bikes under 2k.

And after a while, you'll know if you want to get more serious. I've had a Tiagra Orbea for 3 or so years now, and am now getting an Orca because I'm doing big k's and wanting to race.

So make sure you're happy with what you get for the price. You want something that gets you out on a ride when you're not feeling up to it and you want something that's going to last as well.

Second hand is not a bad idea if you have patience. :thumbsu:

That Orca is a sweet looking bike!

Personally, I'd be cautious with buying a bike second hand, unless you've got a trained eye or know the person you're getting it from. When I was racing, I wrote off about one frame every two years or so, through crashes, and the forces of racing itself. Cracked up the frames, very difficult to see if you didn't know what to look for.

It's a bit like buying a second hand car, I guess. Some are good, some not so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back