BigFooty Bike Store (Bike Advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone got any tips on trainers? I'm looking to buy one (budget around $200-$250) any advice is greatly appreciated.
Lemond, it's awesome! It almost makes trainer sessions bearable. Mirrors the road perfectly, and is solid as a rock. I think the wahoo kickrs' are fairly similar, not cheap but sooo much better than anything else I've ridden on

Anyone got any tips on trainers? I'm looking to buy one (budget around $200-$250) any advice is greatly appreciated.
I got an Elite Super Crono from wiggle for about that

Looking at getting a bike and have been looking at cyclocross bikes as they are very versatile, what do people think of them? I'm a newbie to riding by the way, so not looking at getting something to race etc. but would like a bike that can do a range of things. It'll be mainly used for commuting and recreational riding. I don't want just a road bike as that rules out going off road and there's a few gravel bike paths around my area so I'd probably ride along them a bit which is why a cyclocross bike appeals to me. Budget would be around 1.5k, anyone with a good cyclocross bike they're recommend?

Looking at getting a bike and have been looking at cyclocross bikes as they are very versatile, what do people think of them? I'm a newbie to riding by the way, so not looking at getting something to race etc. but would like a bike that can do a range of things. It'll be mainly used for commuting and recreational riding. I don't want just a road bike as that rules out going off road and there's a few gravel bike paths around my area so I'd probably ride along them a bit which is why a cyclocross bike appeals to me. Budget would be around 1.5k, anyone with a good cyclocross bike they're recommend?

Am looking at getting one as well, been looking for a frame to build up with parts from my old roadie that I don't use but there is few complete bikes going pretty cheap at the moment that seem like a better option and just swapping a few thing around between bikes. You probably need to decide if you want disc brakes or cantilever. Discs are a bit more complicated, it took me some googling to figure out how the hydro discs that came on my MTB worked but after that they have been great. If you just want to ride it and not worry then maybe canti's will be better.

This is pretty good value, Ive bought a bike from them before, their prices are normally pretty good.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/cyclocross-bikes/cannondale/vic/greensborough/caadx-105/102528005

@ 1.5k I'd be looking for 105 gears or equivilant as a minimum, disc brakes are normally more expensive than canti's but can be found on a few bikes under that budget.

Hmmm, i have never heard of Polygon so can't comment much there, carbon forks/alloy frame is pretty standard for entry level now, the thing that makes me scratch my head is the mix of Tiagra and 105. Its not a huge deal for groupsets to be mixed but doing it with the lower end stuff on a brand new bike seems bizarre to me as is their description for why (something about cheaper stuff being used where the components wear down quickly so you can replace it with the same cheap stuff? seems very counter intuitive) It's also very, very cheeky to list it as having a 105 groupset when the majority of it looks like being Tiagra (the cheaper stuff).

I would be weary, personally, i would always buy a bike from a store, even entry level. All your other gear online but a bike from a store. FWIW the price isn't amazing either, you could pick up a well known brand with similar components (tiagra or 105) for around the same price.

Edit: "The drive train is a mix of Shimano 105 and Tiagra, which is a common and often necessary blend. The more important components, those that cost more and have a noticeable performance difference are all 105, those other components which wear quickly, and require more frequent replacement such as the chain and cassette are cheaper components, and since they have such a little impact on performance, are worth saving the dollars on."

That makes no sense, the chain and the casette make ALL the difference in performance, sounds like the only bit that's 105 is the levers.

Hmmm, i have never heard of Polygon so can't comment much there, carbon forks/alloy frame is pretty standard for entry level now, the thing that makes me scratch my head is the mix of Tiagra and 105. Its not a huge deal for groupsets to be mixed but doing it with the lower end stuff on a brand new bike seems bizarre to me as is their description for why (something about cheaper stuff being used where the components wear down quickly so you can replace it with the same cheap stuff? seems very counter intuitive) It's also very, very cheeky to list it as having a 105 groupset when the majority of it looks like being Tiagra (the cheaper stuff).

I would be weary, personally, i would always buy a bike from a store, even entry level. All your other gear online but a bike from a store. FWIW the price isn't amazing either, you could pick up a well known brand with similar components (tiagra or 105) for around the same price.

Edit: "The drive train is a mix of Shimano 105 and Tiagra, which is a common and often necessary blend. The more important components, those that cost more and have a noticeable performance difference are all 105, those other components which wear quickly, and require more frequent replacement such as the chain and cassette are cheaper components, and since they have such a little impact on performance, are worth saving the dollars on."

That makes no sense, the chain and the casette make ALL the difference in performance, sounds like the only bit that's 105 is the levers.
My thoughts exactly

The issue will be it comes in a box and you have assemble some of it, you also lose the advantage of dropping back into the shop if there is any issues with it, most shops will do a free first service and set it up properly for you. The price is ok, similar to Reid and better than Azzurri/Cycling Express but brand quality of Polygon is better, they sponsor a local team that compete at national level and have done for a while, they are probably better known for mountain bikes, they have demo days every now and then. From now on is the best time to buy from bike shops, you will find heavily discounted current year models as the 2015 models start to come in. Search through here http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found a Shogun road bike on the side of the road. Is it worth anything? Everything works, although the brakes need calibrating. There is some rust on the bell, and the gears are on the bike frame and not on the handlebars . . .,.

It goes pretty well, I think it's significantly faster than my mountain bike.

thoughts?

I found a Shogun road bike on the side of the road. Is it worth anything? Everything works, although the brakes need calibrating. There is some rust on the bell, and the gears are on the bike frame and not on the handlebars . . .,.

thoughts?

Photos?

Do you have a bit of time to service it and get it back to good condition?

Just way too many variables to know. If its in good to excellent nick and you can be bothered to restore it to its former glory it could be worth a mint (there is a place in Nth Melbourne that restores old old road bikes with original paint jobs etc and they sell for 1-2k) if its an old belter and you chuck some cheap components on it to get it road worthy a few hundred bucks.

thoughts?
U could always ride it hp - exercise is good for you. Help your BMI your diabetes hypertension cholesterol - the focus might even help your mental issues!

I don't have any photos of it, but I do have the time and money to service it.

What do you think the minimum value of such a roadbike might be?

I agree with bluegunslinger - if you have some time and a bit of spare cash, the value to you personally from having a road bike to tinker with and ride (in addition to your MTB) is more than any pimp for resale proposal. If it has downtube shifters there shouldn't be any major technical issues for you to resolve.

68dfc91be5fe049cb48c5a6e6a2bf140.jpg

If you are a starting rider definitely better to buy from a store. If you are a novice, getting the bike sized and setup properly for you from the start for free will be worth more than any savings you can make online.

For parts and clothing however, online is usually better option.

Biggs me 84 days from IMWA and I develop a crack in my frame. Felt warranty will take too long. Nee ia won't arrive until too late . Choice cervelo p5 or sworks module with all fruit shiv wins arrives 2 weeks time to rob a bank

Okay guys I'm looking to get into road cycling and looking for a semi decent bike that would be able to do roughly 100-150km a week with the odd week over 200km on pretty flat terrain.

I would prefer it be under $800 as I'll probably only have it for a year before the cycling bug has well and truly got me. Riding a 17kg mountain bike is starting to get taxing. Any help appreciated.

Okay guys I'm looking to get into road cycling and looking for a semi decent bike that would be able to do roughly 100-150km a week with the odd week over 200km on pretty flat terrain.

I would prefer it be under $800 as I'll probably only have it for a year before the cycling bug has well and truly got me. Riding a 17kg mountain bike is starting to get taxing. Any help appreciated.
If you've got Facebook get on either buy/sell road cycling Victoria (if in vic) or Bicycle Market, they are both private groups so you'll have to request to join, then one of the admins will accept your request!

You'll score a bargin on there with that sort of budget, because it's full of silly people like me who go through bikes like days of the week!!

If you've got Facebook get on either buy/sell road cycling Victoria (if in vic) or Bicycle Market, they are both private groups so you'll have to request to join, then one of the admins will accept your request!

You'll score a bargin on there with that sort of budget, because it's full of silly people like me who go through bikes like days of the week!!
Thanks mate, been looking around on the Vic one even though I'm from NSW. I'm 192cm tall so what size should I be looking at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back