BigFooty Bike Store (Bike Advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

These are 32mm width touring tyres, so more designed for gravel roads and the type of bikes you see with bags all over the sides. The description would be spot on, designed not puncture but a lot heavier than a road bike tyre so harder to accelerate and thicker side walls which is supposedly what adds the most rolling resistance. Have a look at something like Maxxis Re-fuse or Continental Gatorskin, these are more puncture resistant styles of road tyres. You may find 23mm tyres a big jump to make though from a bike handling perspective so 25mm width would be a better option.

Thanks mate

Grouse is on the money

Also if you are not aware look at wiggle.com.au they seem to have cheapest prices for tyres (IMO) and lots of reviews from previous buyers.

Thanks, I just bought a Cycle ops Fluid2 on Wiggle. I think I'll get the tyres from a local shop and have them put them on. None of the shops answer emails, I'll call around tomorrow.

I just need a cheap reliable bike. I don't like fixies (I don't think, I've never ridden one but having no gears sounds strange).

Any recommendations for a pretty basic road bike or mountain bike just to use over distances up to 15km?

I just need a cheap reliable bike. I don't like fixies (I don't think, I've never ridden one but having no gears sounds strange).

Any recommendations for a pretty basic road bike or mountain bike just to use over distances up to 15km?
Mate of mine has one of these (the 3 speed one):

http://www.samsoncycles.com.au/

I'm considering the 7 speed just as a commuter bike - already ride 5-6 days a week on a brick of a hybrid

That one Mofra posted looks good.

What's Reid about?

Keep in mind I haven't owned a bike since I was a teenager.

Hi guys,

Apologise if this has already been covered but I haven't had time to read most of the thread.
I'm looking at getting a bike for the 1st time for years.
Just for casual weekend rides/fitness and only around roads, paths & bike paths.
Obviously i'm looking at an entry level bike and am new to buying bikes and knowing what to look for etc.

I know I want a flat bar setup and my budget is <$500 so there are some limits to what I can get.

Can anyone help as to some do's & don'ts to buying a bike.
Best place to look and buy
Features of a bike I should be looking for etc.

Any of this info would be really helpful as im very much a novice when it comes to bikes.
If you have anymore questions as to what im looking for and specifics let me know.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi guys,

Apologise if this has already been covered but I haven't had time to read most of the thread.
I'm looking at getting a bike for the 1st time for years.
Just for casual weekend rides/fitness and only around roads, paths & bike paths.
Obviously i'm looking at an entry level bike and am new to buying bikes and knowing what to look for etc.

I know I want a flat bar setup and my budget is <$500 so there are some limits to what I can get.

Can anyone help as to some do's & don'ts to buying a bike.
Best place to look and buy
Features of a bike I should be looking for etc.

Any of this info would be really helpful as im very much a novice when it comes to bikes.
If you have anymore questions as to what im looking for and specifics let me know.

Thanks in advance guys.

I'm no expert on bikes and specific features/components but I recommend having a look on Reid's website as they have some pretty cheap bikes. And failing that, on Bike Exchange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks mate, would you recommend buying a bike online or through a retailer?
Always in store if you can! Benefits being you'll get on the right size bike, setup properly, hopefully good service, get a decent bike and it'll be built for you!
Otherwise you risk voiding the bikes warranty if you build it yourself.

For around that price you should be a decent cannondale quick or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always in store if you can! Benefits being you'll get on the right size bike, setup properly, hopefully good service, get a decent bike and it'll be built for you!
Otherwise you risk voiding the bikes warranty if you build it yourself.

For around that price you should be a decent cannondale quick or similar

Thanks for that info.
Do you think in my situation I need a bike with some sort of suspension? I would say 80-90% of my time will be on roads but there will be times I may need to go onto gravel & other bumpy surfaces. I was in a store today and the guy recommended a flat bar with front suspension but just want to check on here if it was absolutely necessary ?

Thanks for that info.
Do you think in my situation I need a bike with some sort of suspension? I would say 80-90% of my time will be on roads but there will be times I may need to go onto gravel & other bumpy surfaces. I was in a store today and the guy recommended a flat bar with front suspension but just want to check on here if it was absolutely necessary ?
Certainly not necessary, you can easily get away with a flat bar off road as long as the terrain isn't too rough. Depends on what sort of ride you're after, flat bar with suspension will be a little more comfortable but heavier and slower versus the faster lighter fixed fork bike.
Maybe something like a giant roam where you can lock out the front fork would be a good option!

Certainly not necessary, you can easily get away with a flat bar off road as long as the terrain isn't too rough. Depends on what sort of ride you're after, flat bar with suspension will be a little more comfortable but heavier and slower versus the faster lighter fixed fork bike.
Maybe something like a giant roam where you can lock out the front fork would be a good option!

Thanks for the advice. By the looks of things the fixed fork bikes are cheaper? Which probably suits me better with my budget <$500. I would probably prefer a light bike to be honest as im about 90kgs. Any advice on types of gears or anything like that? I have no idea about that type of thing. I would be looking for casual rides and for fitness so some hills would be included in that.
Thanks so much for all the advice guys.

Thanks for the advice. By the looks of things the fixed fork bikes are cheaper? Which probably suits me better with my budget <$500. I would probably prefer a light bike to be honest as im about 90kgs. Any advice on types of gears or anything like that? I have no idea about that type of thing. I would be looking for casual rides and for fitness so some hills would be included in that.
Thanks so much for all the advice guys.
For that price point you'll be looking at a bike with shimano acera or altus group sets, which should both be 8 speed (24gears) which will give you a huge range of gears so you shouldn't have a problem with hills or the like!

For that price point you'll be looking at a bike with shimano acera or altus group sets, which should both be 8 speed (24gears) which will give you a huge range of gears so you shouldn't have a problem with hills or the like!

Thanks again mate, really helpful. I note that you are around the same area I am. Any recommended bike shops around the area?

Thanks again mate, really helpful. I note that you are around the same area I am. Any recommended bike shops around the area?
Go into a few! Look for ones that stock giant, Merida or cannondale they'll give you best bang for your buck. Remember you'll probably need some accessories like a Helmet, bottle holders and maybe a saddle bag you will be able to get all these at least 50% off if you ask nicely!
Buy it from the store how provides the best service!

Anyone have good experience with Power Meters. I race reasonably compteitively and have resisted the need for a PM, but now i think its necessary to help more with my training and racing.

Stages are woeful from all reports. SRM are too *ing pricey. I am thinking of Quarq Elsa RS

Anyone have good experience with Power Meters. I race reasonably compteitively and have resisted the need for a PM, but now i think its necessary to help more with my training and racing.

Stages are woeful from all reports. SRM are too ruddy pricey. I am thinking of Quarq Elsa RS
Check out a guy named DCrainmaker! Does really in depth reviews on all the power meters. I really like the new pioneer pm, it's reasonably priced, bi-lateral, accurate and the head unit isn't too bad!
Also the Verve infocrank is supposedly as accurate as the srm.

Check out a guy named DCrainmaker! Does really in depth reviews on all the power meters. I really like the new pioneer pm, it's reasonably priced, bi-lateral, accurate and the head unit isn't too bad!
Also the Verve infocrank is supposedly as accurate as the srm.

Have read all DC rainmakers reviews. Pioneer is not compatible with Garmin though... you need a separate computer and for a similar price i think i like the Quarq. What do you have mate?

Have read all DC rainmakers reviews. Pioneer is not compatible with Garmin though... you need a separate computer and for a similar price i think i like the Quarq. What do you have mate?
I had a quarq, it was great no issues with it at all, but now have a verve infocrank which is better but the computer is no good!

I have an older wired Powertap. Bomb proof and super accurate. Downside being it isn't ANT+. Will be upgrading to a G3 version soon, but I think they now have a pedal based and crank based power meter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back