BigFooty Bike Store (Bike Advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Which valves have you got - presta or Schrader? Presta are very thin, Schrader are basically like car valves.

A month is short time to go completely flat - but prestas can if the valve locking nut is not screwed down.

How quickly do tyres deflate under normal conditions, without punctures? My bike has been sitting in the shed for a month or two and now both the tyres are flat.

Air leaks out through the rubber, its to do with the size of the air molecules. They shouldnt go completely flat but the higher pressure they are inflated to the more likely air will leak out.

Air leaks out through the rubber, its to do with the size of the air molecules. They shouldnt go completely flat but the higher pressure they are inflated to the more likely air will leak out.

It's not completely flat, but it is effectively flat . . . about 50%

Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice regarding road bikes. I'm looking to buy a road bike and have decided on 4 choices that match my budget (Under $2000) and criteria for a lightweight bike (carbon Frame). The following bikes I'm interested in are:

Avanti Giro C 1 Womens.

Merida Scultura 4000 Road Bike [Green/Black] (2017) or
Merida Scultura Juliet 4000 Womens Road Bike [Mint Green] (2017)

and finally

Giant TCR Advanced 3 2017

Which one out of the four would be the best to buy?

Thanks.

Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice regarding road bikes. I'm looking to buy a road bike and have decided on 4 choices that match my budget (Under $2000) and criteria for a lightweight bike (carbon Frame). The following bikes I'm interested in are:

Avanti Giro C 1 Womens.

Merida Scultura 4000 Road Bike [Green/Black] (2017) or
Merida Scultura Juliet 4000 Womens Road Bike [Mint Green] (2017)

and finally

Giant TCR Advanced 3 2017

Which one out of the four would be the best to buy?

Thanks.

Sorry if this is too late, in terms of the the key specs for the differences, the gears on the Avanti are the worst of all those, both Merida's are basically the exact same bike but womens specific bikes generally have a different saddle and sometimes the frames are smaller. On paper the Merida's are the best bikes out of those with the Giant in the middle. Giant also do a womens brand called Liv. Would avoid the Avanti being a 9 speed it would mean replacing a lot of parts if you looked to upgrade parts further down the track. Its important to choose a bike frame and colour that you like otherwise 12 months later if you get into riding it often enough you may find yourself shopping for a new one 12 months later. Things like better quality wheels are easy to replace down the track. I'd say keep on shopping around if you havent already bought, for this amount of money look for minimum quality level of gears at 105 level if getting Shimano branded maybe if lucky you will find a discounted bike with Ultegra gearset. Getting the right size bike is pretty important as well.

Giving a plug, disclaimer I have no association with these guys but am a happy customer spreading the word. Anyone after a new kit should have a look at this http://therollingherd.com/collections/all . For $110 I dont think you will get better quality, I have spent over twice this much on others and have been disappointed. My only warning is they are basically a business run out of a garage so it took 2 weeks to arrive and they dont have paypal only bank transfer but they ship with tracking so you at least know it cant get lost in transit. Its made by Capo so its Italian sizing.

Hello,

I have returned to University next year and will be travelling across the city to Footscray. Looking about 20km each way and committing to riding each day. I currently have a single speed that will get myself around a bit of the time but I really am looking for a solid commuter. I would like the to possibly put some panniers on there as well. XL frame would be required.

Any suggestions from seasoned commuters?

Willing to spend up to 1300.

Thanks

Hello,

I have returned to University next year and will be travelling across the city to Footscray. Looking about 20km each way and committing to riding each day. I currently have a single speed that will get myself around a bit of the time but I really am looking for a solid commuter. I would like the to possibly put some panniers on there as well. XL frame would be required.

Any suggestions from seasoned commuters?

Willing to spend up to 1300.

Thanks
G'day
I may be able to help with my experience. I have an aluminium and carbon fiber bike i get around town on. This thing has done a gazillion klms around Melbourne. I do fourty k rides on it a few mornings a week then clip the pannier bags each side to shop local.
I ride all the way from Mentone to North Fitzroy on it during footy season, that's a long way. Anyway i got the thing cheap on sale at the time ( only ) $550.00 Reid Osprey Elite.
Anyway check their site, see whats on special, give them a call.
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/?gclid=CJ6pjfCorNECFQojvQodYi0EuQ
Good luck

Hi all,

Looking for some basic advice on buying my first road bike. Not fussed if it is new or second hand, or a slightly older model, and am looking to spend around $1K. I am not a rider, so just after something basic, reliable that can tackle some reasonable sized hills. I am male, 70kg, 182 cm, with a good level of fitness (regular runner). Not sure why these stats are relevant, but have seen others post them!

Any advice on where to buy would also be appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Wetdog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First thing - can you borrow a mate's bike for a few rides and see if it is really what you want? Even just $1000 (cheap for a roadie) is a lot of money to be sitting in the shed, if you decide after 3 rides that it is not your thing. Some people get back, butt, knee issues immediately on getting on the bike and there's not much they can do about it.

However, assuming you know you like riding, talk to the bike stores, read forums (even others than BF:eek:). Ignore the bullsh!t around top-end frame materials and top-level groupsets. For a grand you should be able to get a good, solid bike. Probably looking at aluminium frame with carbon front fork, and 105 or Tiagra-level gears/brakes (or the equivalent in SRAM/Campag). Probably, for that price, I would definitely go Aluminium - there is cheap carbon fibre out there - and it is cheap.

Get good shoes/pedals, good shorts - they make a huge difference. (Make sure the bike you get comes with pedals - not automatic, although for a grand I would expect it will). Learn how to maintain your gears and brakes (those wire cables do stretch and kink). If you can keep your gears and brakes running smooth, the difference between high-end and low-end running gear is miniscule.

If you get seriously into Road Biking, the $1000 will be a drop in the ocean in your total lifetime spend:p

Dont get anything less than 105 Groupset or equivalent if your intention is to road/bunch riding. There are three levels of Shimano brand groupset worth bothering with....Dura Ace Ultegra and 105...105 being the cheapest of those three but still very good quality. Anything below that eg Tiagra or Sora is rubbish and you wont enjoy riding and will find you have wasted your money.

$1000 wont get you a lot at the shops but second hand is a fair chance.

Hi all,

Looking for some basic advice on buying my first road bike. Not fussed if it is new or second hand, or a slightly older model, and am looking to spend around $1K. I am not a rider, so just after something basic, reliable that can tackle some reasonable sized hills. I am male, 70kg, 182 cm, with a good level of fitness (regular runner). Not sure why these stats are relevant, but have seen others post them!

Thanks,

Wetdog

Where are you based mate?

Hi all,

Thanks,

Wetdog

I had a similar budget when I was purchasing my first road bike and ended up going for the Apollo Giro. It's got an alloy frame with a carbon fork, and is running Shimano 105 groupset. It's been a great bike for myself, and have never had any issues with it.

Thanks for all the advice!

First thing - can you borrow a mate's bike for a few rides and see if it is really what you want? Even just $1000 (cheap for a roadie) is a lot of money to be sitting in the shed, if you decide after 3 rides that it is not your thing. Some people get back, butt, knee issues immediately on getting on the bike and there's not much they can do about it.

However, assuming you know you like riding, talk to the bike stores, read forums (even others than BF:eek:). Ignore the bullsh!t around top-end frame materials and top-level groupsets. For a grand you should be able to get a good, solid bike. Probably looking at aluminium frame with carbon front fork, and 105 or Tiagra-level gears/brakes (or the equivalent in SRAM/Campag). Probably, for that price, I would definitely go Aluminium - there is cheap carbon fibre out there - and it is cheap.

Get good shoes/pedals, good shorts - they make a huge difference. (Make sure the bike you get comes with pedals - not automatic, although for a grand I would expect it will). Learn how to maintain your gears and brakes (those wire cables do stretch and kink). If you can keep your gears and brakes running smooth, the difference between high-end and low-end running gear is miniscule.

If you get seriously into Road Biking, the $1000 will be a drop in the ocean in your total lifetime spend:p

I don't know anyone who has a road bike! But I will keep this in mind. Maybe I can rent one.

Dont get anything less than 105 Groupset or equivalent if your intention is to road/bunch riding. There are three levels of Shimano brand groupset worth bothering with....Dura Ace Ultegra and 105...105 being the cheapest of those three but still very good quality. Anything below that eg Tiagra or Sora is rubbish and you wont enjoy riding and will find you have wasted your money.

$1000 wont get you a lot at the shops but second hand is a fair chance.

Thanks for the advice on the gears. I think I will go with the 105s, good quality but at the cheaper end.

Where are you based mate?

In London at the moment. But expect to be based down the Bass Coast later this year.

I had a similar budget when I was purchasing my first road bike and ended up going for the Apollo Giro. It's got an alloy frame with a carbon fork, and is running Shimano 105 groupset. It's been a great bike for myself, and have never had any issues with it.

I will check this out!

I'd look at the second hand markets, dont have FB but apparently there is heaps on there. Hadn't looked at new bike prices in a while but the prices have certainly jumped a bit since I last did.

Thanks. Congrats on the win last night. I thought we almost had you guys - just lacked that killer blow up forward.

Looking for a cheap road bike under $500 just for casual rides and exercise. I was wondering if any of you gents would know where the best places to take a look at are and what names in that orice range to dream of/avoid. Cheers.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app

My bike went MIA while I lived in America and I have finally been reunited after a few years of storage. I gave it a clean and attempted a service, but rear Derrailleur looks bent outwards. I’m okay on the tools but by no means no expert. YouTube didn’t tell me directly. Fixable or does it have to go to the Dr’s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back