BigFooty Bike Store (Bike Advice)

Discussion in 'Cycling' started by Godzke, Dec 17, 2009.

Put it out there
  1. Wallaby

Wallaby Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Which valves have you got - presta or Schrader? Presta are very thin, Schrader are basically like car valves.

A month is short time to go completely flat - but prestas can if the valve locking nut is not screwed down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. grouse mate

grouse mate Premiership Player

GWS
    Other teams:
    Air leaks out through the rubber, its to do with the size of the air molecules. They shouldnt go completely flat but the higher pressure they are inflated to the more likely air will leak out.

3. Lethality

Lethality Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    New York Rangers
    It's not completely flat, but it is effectively flat . . . about 50%

4. blue gunslinger

blue gunslinger Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Other teams:
    www.wablues.com
    Wow I need some electro magnetic wheels.

thegrach likes this.
  5. swansfan_20

swansfan_20 Senior List

Sydney
    Other teams:
    SMFC, #teamlloyd
    Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice regarding road bikes. I'm looking to buy a road bike and have decided on 4 choices that match my budget (Under $2000) and criteria for a lightweight bike (carbon Frame). The following bikes I'm interested in are:

Avanti Giro C 1 Womens.

Merida Scultura 4000 Road Bike [Green/Black] (2017) or
    Merida Scultura Juliet 4000 Womens Road Bike [Mint Green] (2017)

and finally

Giant TCR Advanced 3 2017

Which one out of the four would be the best to buy?

Thanks.

6. Andronicus

Andronicus Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Arsenal, Bulldogs, NSW
    I'd say change the 2017 to 2016 and your budget will stretch further.

swansfan_20 likes this.
  7. Orange Agent

Orange Agent Senior List

GWS
    Other teams:
    Sorry if this is too late, in terms of the the key specs for the differences, the gears on the Avanti are the worst of all those, both Merida's are basically the exact same bike but womens specific bikes generally have a different saddle and sometimes the frames are smaller. On paper the Merida's are the best bikes out of those with the Giant in the middle. Giant also do a womens brand called Liv. Would avoid the Avanti being a 9 speed it would mean replacing a lot of parts if you looked to upgrade parts further down the track. Its important to choose a bike frame and colour that you like otherwise 12 months later if you get into riding it often enough you may find yourself shopping for a new one 12 months later. Things like better quality wheels are easy to replace down the track. I'd say keep on shopping around if you havent already bought, for this amount of money look for minimum quality level of gears at 105 level if getting Shimano branded maybe if lucky you will find a discounted bike with Ultegra gearset. Getting the right size bike is pretty important as well.

swansfan_20 likes this.
  8. Orange Agent

Orange Agent Senior List

GWS
    Other teams:
    Giving a plug, disclaimer I have no association with these guys but am a happy customer spreading the word. Anyone after a new kit should have a look at this http://therollingherd.com/collections/all . For $110 I dont think you will get better quality, I have spent over twice this much on others and have been disappointed. My only warning is they are basically a business run out of a garage so it took 2 weeks to arrive and they dont have paypal only bank transfer but they ship with tracking so you at least know it cant get lost in transit. Its made by Capo so its Italian sizing.

9. iDon

iDon Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Hello,

I have returned to University next year and will be travelling across the city to Footscray. Looking about 20km each way and committing to riding each day. I currently have a single speed that will get myself around a bit of the time but I really am looking for a solid commuter. I would like the to possibly put some panniers on there as well. XL frame would be required.

Any suggestions from seasoned commuters?

Willing to spend up to 1300.

Thanks

10. lion around

lion around All Australian

Other teams:
    Fitzroy
    G'day
    I may be able to help with my experience. I have an aluminium and carbon fiber bike i get around town on. This thing has done a gazillion klms around Melbourne. I do fourty k rides on it a few mornings a week then clip the pannier bags each side to shop local.
    I ride all the way from Mentone to North Fitzroy on it during footy season, that's a long way. Anyway i got the thing cheap on sale at the time ( only ) $550.00 Reid Osprey Elite.
    Anyway check their site, see whats on special, give them a call.
    https://www.reidcycles.com.au/?gclid=CJ6pjfCorNECFQojvQodYi0EuQ
    Good luck

iDon and phantom13 like this.
  11. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Dolphins
    I'll back that up, bought some insanely cheap reid condor as my commuter back in the day, have clapped that bad boy out over the last like 6 years, all weather barely serviced etc. and its only "dying" now.

lion around likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. lion around

lion around All Australian

Other teams:
    Fitzroy
    LOL Yes I'm going to ride my Osprey elite (TO DEATH) too.:)