Podcast BigFooty Cats Podcast Episode 1: Trade Period Review and National Draft Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Good points.

Listening to the podcast for the first time yesterday, I probably didn't explain myself as well on that as I should have. The issue, more so than how many tracks or trains they have is that there's only one platform at South Geelong, which means irrespective of how many extra trains vline will put on it will still be slow because they will all have to queue behind the first one. And understandably they don't want the trains leaving until they are basically full, so that means it takes a good 10 minutes to load each train, and a fairly decent wait if you're not fitting on the first one. Whereas if you'd been to Richmond station after a night game at the G, you'd know with that many platforms, how much quicker it is getting people in and out with multiple trains leaving at once. People have also got other options there because they can walk to Jolimont, or back to the CBD, or simply just catch a tram home along Swan street. So there's that issue.

The other issue which is probably the bigger one is that the vline timetable doesn't tend to co-ordinate that well with Metro trains, particularly at night. So if a night game finishes at 10 or a bit after, for people who don't get on the first train, you're potentially looking at putting them at Southern Cross around 11.30 or so, with possibly having to wait 1/2 hr or so to get the last train home.

That will put a lot of people off and I think (I hope it doesn't) may affect attendances. In my case, I will probably do the trip when work permits, but if I was going with my wife, or had other family or friends I was taking, that time would be prohibitive. I just hope there's no impact on membership-for example even if I don't go to all the games I will still get my membership the same as last year, so the club will get the financial support. And that's the most important thing-having the stadium full for each game is secondary, having the same membership numbers as last year is primary.

The other point, which SJ made well, is that it will probably impact people living in regional areas more than Melbourne members, because for some the Geelong games are the only ones they can get to, and if they've got more than a 2 hour drive, very few will do it after a night game.

That said, I certainly don't blame the club, as I said we were always going to get a lot of night games once the lights went in and the afl would not have had it any other way.

Mate that isn't even remotely possible.
There are 17+ different metro services, how could a country service possibly be expected to connect to any or all of those within a decent time frame?
Just quickly aswell, a trip from South Geelong to Southern Cross takes 55-68 minutes depending on stopping pattern and metro traffic, nothing takes an hour and a half other than due to delays.

On to the top paragraph, the problem between trains at Geelong and trains at Richmond is at Geelong EVERY SINGLE PERSON on that platform is heading for 1 line/1 train whereas at Richmond all those people are split up onto the several different lines. That makes a HUGE difference, could you imagine everyone trying to get onto platform 4 at Richmond after a game?

The fact is Geelong based Geelong supporters (I'm sure theres a small handful right?) have been doing it for years, I live 10 minutes from the city center and never expect to be home from a night game before midnight and that is if I go directly from the game to the station.

Hey BigFooty Cats fans,

Thanks so much for your support so far. The download numbers on iTunes have been strong so far, relative to early podcasts on the other boards.

One favour which will help us going forward - after you subscribe on iTunes, can you 'rate' us please? Five stars would be great. ;)

Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back