Chess BigFooty Chess Club v Kingdom of the Picts Chess Club (BIGFOOTY WIN 16-12)

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
1st point on the board

Ok I had a look at the game - let me offer some ideas you may consider.

1 e4 Nc6 2 d4 d5 3 e5 Bf5 4 c3 e6 Advanced Nimzo you could consider looking at a slightly different move order, getting to a similar position but has many of the same themes.

1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 e5 c5 here is a standard Advanced French French - unlimited in possibilities. The Bf5 and your restricted c pawn in Nimzo are tricky for you to play. Just a thought ... you will find heaps of Advanced French theory online to go over games. I used to play the Advanced French myself - the bishop on F5 is just an easy target for white.

Advanced Nimzo is good for blitz ... but not so good in longer forms of the game ( but thats only an opinion) if you like the Nimzo play it.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ok I had a look at the game - let me offer some ideas you may consider.

1 e4 Nc6 2 d4 d5 3 e5 Bf5 4 c3 e6 Advanced Nimzo you could consider looking at a slightly different move order, getting to a similar position but has many of the same themes.

1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 e5 c5 here is a standard Advanced French French - unlimited in possibilities. The Bf5 and your restricted c pawn in Nimzo are tricky for you to play. Just a thought ... you will find heaps of Advanced French theory online to go over games. I used to play the Advanced French myself - the bishop on F5 is just an easy target for white.

Advanced Nimzo is good for blitz ... but not so good in longer forms of the game ( but thats only an opinion) if you like the Nimzo play it.
Thank you - always appreciate practical advice!

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thank you - always appreciate practical advice!

Not a problem - I'm only back playing during covid. Happy to help. If you have any questions cant answer all but maybe an odd one here an there.

My honest advice pick a GM you like - play thru all their games. Just dont pick the Russian Grandmaster Glek ... hehehe

These days the Americans & northern Europeans are super strong & the Asian ( Including Indian) schools are getting stronger and stronger.

What was the opening? British Chess players are very tricky - 1-1 you live to fight another day. I'm assuming you where Black 1e4 or 1d4?

Post the game interested to have a look.

<----- Hehe

Think its all those brilliant books and brilliant players you have access too ... its so much easier learning from others than trying to invent the wheel yourself.

Go Giants

When I lived in Melbourne I certainly found the ‘chess scene’ to be somewhat lacking. I did attend a club a couple of times but for example I wasn’t aware of a state club league, just tournaments. There’s a lot more going on over here (and we’ve just returned to over the board league chess which is exciting!)

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
When I lived in Melbourne I certainly found the ‘chess scene’ to be somewhat lacking. I did attend a club a couple of times but for example I wasn’t aware of a state club league, just tournaments. There’s a lot more going on over here (and we’ve just returned to over the board league chess which is exciting!)

Yes, great reply. Its never 1 reason often 10 little reasons. Better books, better GM's, better live tournaments this list probably could go on and on - you would be far more familiar than me.

Living in Australia you just have to make the choice outside in the sun inside in the shade. I'm enjoying a little bit of both, but I'm sure when summer hits time to move outdoors again.

Apr 15, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
England
It seems that people are enjoying this match vs the Picts. The Picts are enjoying it too, so I'm pretty pleased with how it is going. I've got another group that might be up for a match if we want one - a smaller group this one but they could probably turn out ten or so.

I enjoyed that match. Dispite the massive blunder (lost a queen for a pawn), the other game was a grind.
Go BigFooty!

My opponent was similar to yours. One blunder in the first and a proper arm wrestle in the second!

Back