- THIS POST IS UPDATED AS NEW ISSUES AND FIXES ARE FOUND.
- LAST UPDATE: 14th Jan, 11AM
- READ IT WHENEVER YOU RETURN WITH AN ISSUE, IT MAY HAVE BEEN REPORTED.
We are still polishing up the new site.
You will notice some things missing, some new features and so on.
If you notice something missing, post here. Many things that are missing are on the list to be re-added anyway.
Things to include when reporting an issue:
- Your manners
- Your device (desktop, mobile, tablet) and type (Mac, PC, iPhone, Android)
- Your browser if you know it (Safari, Chrome etc)
- Your specific issue. General "I don't like it" or "I get an error when..." posts do not help. Give specifics like the text of error messages or specific difficulties you are having.
- Rude and unhelpful posts will be met with a kind request to re-phrase the post, and if this doesn't work we'll make another kind request to sod off.
Things we know about:
- Account lock with too many login attempts - Changed to CAPTCHA authentication over lock out while we work on this one - may be related to the 504 errors. Please be patient.
- Your club name etc in your info on each post - These have returned but the layout needs work - still to return on narrow mobile view
- Some old notices show up in Tapatalk.
- Some attached files are still coming across. Let us know if any are still missing.
- Media Gallery is broken and switched off for now.
- Old VBulletin links are broken - new addon coming.
- Table BB Code not working - Waiting to find or write a version 2 add-on.
- Watched Threads- No "unread" option.
- Badges/Medals: The mobile version is screwing up user names on posts when too many badges are displayed. So I limited it to display only the first 2 until this is fixed.
- Iphone icon is the old version.
- Arrow to go to bottom of the page shouldn't go all the way to the footer. It should go to the bottom of the posts/threads/forums list.
- Your club forum link in the header is there but will change at some point. And is not in the header on Mobile.
- SuperNav (the side bar and the Watch Console bar at the top of the page showing watched threads and boards) has not been updated for the new software yet.
- Top Contributors feature not yet re-added.
Things we will tinker with that could change a few times or not at all:
These three are just about done. Let us know if you have an issue that should be attended to:
- Fonts - sizes and types.
Your user info beside every post (post count, AFL club, etc) will be changed (including getting the Cup back) but it will take more effort given the new system.
Things we consider fixed:
1st Jan to 13th Jan:
- Pagination in threads on mobile - Might still need some work but we are stuck with the developer's idea of good navigation now.
- Badges forced into an incorrect size - Though still happens on profile.
- Media embed codes not working eg YouTube - Automatically embedding content such as YouTube is working! Edit and re-save posts from the last few days to get the parser to swap in media embed codes for posted URLs.
- 504 errors popping up often. - We know what causes it, and it may still happen from time to time. It's not causing damage, just occasional inconvenience.
- Tipping using American phrasing - changed to Aussie now.
- Attaching files to posts causes an error.
- Google Spreadsheets may not be showing.
- Alerts for new posts in watched threads not firing - We are rebuilding some things to fix this. Let us know if the problem continues. You will see a large number of alerts the next time you log in, after which everything will have settled down. NB: As always, if you don't visit a thread when you receive an alert, you will not see any more alerts for it until you visit the thread.
Tips for users!
We will tinker with this to get it right.
- Click on the title to go to the first post in the thread if you haven't read the thread
- Click on the title to go to the first unread posts if you have previously visited the thread
- Click on the date below the title to go to the last post in the thread (whether or not you have visited the thread previously)
- On Desktop/mobile landscape: Click on the date below the title to go to the first post in the thread (whether or not you have visited the thread previously)
- On Desktop/mobile landscape: Click on the date in the right-hand column to go to the last post in the thread.
- Tap the “n of n” page numbers (mobile) or the ellipsis ... (desktop) to select a specific page.
Show Unread Watched Content
Apparently the Xenforo developers thought nobody cared about this feature so they dumped it without consultation with their customers. Now you need to tap away for a bit:
What's New -> New Posts -> Filters -> select Watched Content and Unread Posts.
15/1/19: We will work on a direct link to that page with those options pre-set.
Version 1 of the software is reaching end of life. No updates will be released after May, apart from security releases. Security releases will stop after December 2019.
So if it wasn't broke and didn't need fixing, it is about to be and will need fixing.
Christmas/New Years is the quietest time on the site so this is the best time to upgrade.
But but but...
But I hate the new look! - Hold off until we actually finish setting it up.
But can we go back to the old theme? - No.
But I hate you, Chief! - That makes me sad.
But you're doing it wrong! I know more about... - I'm sure you do know about development or systems admin or UI or whatever you specialise in, but you're not in the driver's seat. We are happy to accept serious advice, but just posting to scoff rudely will do nothing but feed your own superiority complex. Don't bother. I'll just as likely ban you as ignore you.
Why not have everything running properly before upgrading?
We ran the upgrade multiple times on cloned versions of the site and it worked properly.
But you can't really test every possible combination of events until it hits the user base in the wild. Not without spending huge amounts of money, anyway. So expect issues to pop up, and expect that we will fix them.
Our custom addons like SuperNav (the pop-out side bar) couldn't be re-written in time so we decided to go ahead with the upgrade now and worry about them later. Some of the aspects of our custom work have become redundant with this new version, others just don't fit in.
Right now we are fighting a completely re-written system with very bad and incomplete documentation. Essentially we're re-learning just about everything learned over the past 6 years.
But wait! There's more!
Version 2.1 of the software will be released later this year, and it will include a range of new features! And of course, an upgrade process similar to the one you are lucky enough to be experiencing right now.
We will likely wait until Christmas 2019 to upgrade again.