Bigfooty Game of the Year 2018 (Voting Closes Friday 11th January Midnight)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Shadow of Tomb Raider
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Far Cry 5
4. AC Odyssey
5. The Forest PS4
6. FIFA 19
7. Luigis Mansion 3DS
8. State of Decay 2
9. Vampyr
10. H1Z1 PS4

Biggest Disappointment: Probably more disappointed in myself, but really struggled to find any enjoyment in God of War

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
1. Shadow of Tomb Raider
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Far Cry 5
4. AC Odyssey
5. The Forest PS4
6. FIFA 19
7. Luigis Mansion 3DS
8. State of Decay 2
9. Vampyr

Biggest Disappointment: Probably more disappointed in myself, but really struggled to find any enjoyment in God of War
Harsh, even if you didn't like it surely it's a good enough game to give it the 10th spot rather than keep it blank. Didn't even enjoy the dwarf blacksmith humour or the serpent reveal?

1. Shadow of Tomb Raider
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Far Cry 5
4. AC Odyssey
5. The Forest PS4
6. FIFA 19
7. Luigis Mansion 3DS
8. State of Decay 2
9. Vampyr

So bad that you couldn't even bring yourself to put it in 10th? instead you would just have a list of 9 games

Harsh, even if you didn't like it surely it's a good enough game to give it the 10th spot rather than keep it blank. Didn't even enjoy the dwarf blacksmith humour or the serpent reveal?

So bad that you couldn't even bring yourself to put it in 10th? instead you would just have a list of 9 games

Haha well i didn't think it would make sense to chuck it in as 10, and then say it was a disappointment too. Those 9 are the only 2018 games i played. Just got Pokemon Let's Go though so sure ill be chucking that one in!

Jeba

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2002
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rangers/Cowboys/Stars/Mavs
1. Spider-Man
2. God of War
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Assassins Creed Odyssey
5. MLB: The Show 18
6. Detroit : Become Human
7. Monster Hunter : World
8. Shadow of The Tomb Raider
9. Far Cry 5
10.Jurassic World Evolution

Disappointment : Shadow of The Tomb Raider

Best new character : Arthur Morgan (Red Dead Redemption 2)

Most innovative gameplay : Spider-Man not really, but a extra point for spidey

Last edited:

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
1) Dark Souls Remastered (PC, XBO, PS4 and SWITCH - I own all versions :D)
2) Hollow Knight
3) Spider-man
4) God of War
5) Tetris Effect
6) Forza Horizon 4
7) Two Point Hospital
8) Overcooked 2
9) Super Smash Bros Ultimate
10) Mario Tennis Aces

Didn't really play many 2018 released games :-/

You really like Souls huh?

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Its the Tetris of this generation. You can play it in so many ways to make the playthrough super easy or super hard for yourself.

I'm playing through the original game on the 360 as well... trying to get achievements I missed several years ago.

Back in the day i played Demon Souls on the PS3, really enjoyed but it was so unforgivingly difficult i didn't get far.

Also i recently started Dark Souls (360 version) as it's backwards compatible.
It's such a deep and rewarding experience when it clicks for the player.

1 Dragon Ball Fighterz
2 Super Smash Bros Ultimate
3 A Way out
4 Super Mario Party
5 Red Dead Redemption 2
6 Sea of Thieves
7 Just Cause 4
8 Hitman 2
9 Spyro Reignited Trilogy
10 Farcry 5

Who would of thought with an alias named that, u liked DBZ fighterz

Did u get xenoverse 1/2 off psn store too?!
In Playing through x1 now,
I haven't played x1 or 2 yet.

I know big shock, but my decision making was that i've had and played the game longer than anything else on the list. Red Dead is good but i simply haven't had the same amount of hours in sunken into it yet. It's a good game but it's easy to get sucked in to voting the popular games that release later in the year. Although i did pick ultimate, but i have a special feel about ultimate

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. God of War
3. Far Cry 5
4. Assassins Creed Odyssey
5. Detroit: become human
6. Spiderman
7. Tombraider

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Still a work in progress.

1. God of War 9.5/10

I've never been a fan of the series. In fact this latest game wasn't even on my radar until after it was released. But it ended up being my favourite game of 2018.

In trying to critique the game I realised my only complaint was how slow the climbing animation was. The highlight for me was the combat. Particularly the weight of the combat. It always feels as though you are causing real damage rather than simply whittling down a health bar. The axe became one of my favourite weapons that I've seen in a videogame. Immensely satisfying every time you use it.

2. Assassin's Creed Odyssey 8.5/10

It took a little time to warm to the latest Assassin's Creed game. This one felt messier than Origins. Certainly less focused.

But with each hour I began to enjoy the game more and more. The combat clicked into place as you learnt and then upgraded your various powers. Perhaps for the first time in the series, Ubisoft managed to create a meaningful narrative that the player can easily follow. That there were three narratives entwining was all the more impressive. The world itself was beautifully crafted and a joy to navigate.

3. Sunset Overdrive 9.5/10

The Xbox One's greatest exclusive made its way to PC. The game held up during a 30 hour replay. It remains one of the most enjoyable and fun games released this generation. Traversing the open world is without equal. So many moves that can be linked together to ensure that you never stand still. The PC port was also pretty solid and 4k60 was certainly much improved over whatever the Xbox One original ran at.

4. Forza Horizon 4 8.5/10

FH4 is an excellent game and yet I feel as though it failed to surpass its predecessor. But the core gameplay and production values are so high that it is still among the best games released this year. And to be fair to FH4, its predecessor may very well be the greatest racing game ever released.

5. Dragon Quest 11 8/10

I've long wanted to try this series and finally got to with the release of the excellent DQ11. A thoroughly charming cast and excellent production values elevates a game that could have been bogged down by a battle system that is firmly rooted in 90s nostalgia. The game is in no way innovative and yet it is easy to overlook that as you travel through a wonderful colourful and diverse world map.

6. Valkyria Chronicles 4 8/10

The long-awaited sequel to one of last generation's finest RPGs. It doesn't improve a great deal on its predecessor but it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience for the 30 hours it took me to complete the campaign. It is just a shame that the strategy elements were not tightened a bit because the game is incredibly easy to break with the right set-up.

7. Shadow of the Tomb Raider 8/10

Probably the prettiest game I have ever played. Purchased a new graphics card and trialed it with Tomb Raider. The results were spectacular.

Perhaps reacting to past criticisms, Shadow places great emphasis on exploration at the expense of combat. This might be welcome by some but the end result is a game that makes poor use of a range of combat options. There are times during the game where I felt like Rambo but those moments were few and far between. Luckily the environments in the game were often spectacular, making exploration worthwhile.

8. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age 8/10

The story borrows heavily from Star Wars and is, for the most part, nonsensical. But you'd expect nothing else from a Final Fantasy game.

It is the quality of the gameplay that really elevates the game. It's a single-player twist of MMORPG gameplay and it works a treat. It certainly kept me compelled over the course of 60 hours. This was the final mainline Final Fantasy that I hadn't finished (with the exception of FFXI) and it was worth the wait.

9. Spiderman 8/10

A very well made game. Strong narrative and excellent gameplay. When the final credits rolled it certainly felt like I'd played a great game. And yet something was missing. During my playthrough a number of other games came along that held my attention longer or distracted me from my Spiderman playthrough.

10. Detroit: Become Human 8/10

I love a game with a strong narrative that gives me a little to think about. Detroit sets up a believable future, taking advantage of many of the fears that people already have about robotics and artificial intelligence. It is more interactive movie than interactive game and yet I found it compelling from beginning to end.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. God of War
2. Dead Cells
3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
4. Dragonquest XI
5 Timespinner
6 Spider-Man
7. Tetris Effect
8. Detroit : Become Human
9. The Messenger
10. Hitman 2

Last edited:

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I once again spent most of my gaming time catching up on a backlog and so didn't get to many 2018 releases. But, of the ones I did get to:

1. Subnautica
2. Assassins Creed Odyssey
3. State of Decay 2
4. Far Cry 5
5. No Man's Sky (if the Xbox One release counts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back