Bigfooty Game of the Year 2018 (Voting Closes Friday 11th January Midnight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Well it's been another eventful year in gaming...

Please come and share you're top games of this past year.
If possible include some reasons why.

Voting format:

1. Game A = 10 points
2. Game B = 9 points
3. Game C = 8 points
4. Game D = 7 points
5. Game E = 6 points
6. Game F = 5 points
7. Game G = 4 points
8. Game H = 3 points
9. Game I = 2 points
10. Game J = 1 point

-----

This year we will also have 3 bonus categories.
You don't have to vote on these if don't want to.

- Biggest disappointment = subtract a point from main tally.

- Most innovative gameplay = add 1 point to main tally.

- Best new gaming character = add 1 point to relevant game in main tally.

-----
Last year's results:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bf-goty-2017-results-thread.1184465/

Games released in Australia in 2018 are accepted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_video_gaming
-----
Happy gaming & voting.
Voting closes 11/01/19 at midnight.

Last edited:

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Also you can vote for the same game in the 1-10 and the 3 bonus categories.

So for example you voted Fallout 76 10th, you can also nominate it for "Biggest disappointment"

I'm going to hold off for a little bit.

I need to put a little more time into Tombraider, Assassins Creed, Spiderman and God of War before I cast my vote

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
I'm going to hold off for a little bit.

I need to put a little more time into Tombraider, Assassins Creed, Spiderman and God of War before I cast my vote

No rush
Still got over a month.

I'm way behind on this year's releases.
Mainly due to not wanting to play them on my 1080p TV.

Saving up for a 4k display.

No rush
Still got over a month.

I'm way behind on this year's releases.
Mainly due to not wanting to play them on my 1080p TV.

Saving up for a 4k display.
I'm behind because of the quality of games that have come out in the second half of the year

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
EDITED & CHANGED WITH MY DECEMBER GAMING

1. God of War - Probably my favourite game of all time atm. Brilliant in so many ways and the only thing that counts against it is the double up boss fights imo. It's just so slick and polished with an awesome story and combat.
2. Beat Saber - Picked this up in December and what a game. Makes you feel like a cool Jedi even though you look like a knob with all the gear on.
3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Masterpiece that would have be a lot closer to GOTY if it improved it's combat, systems and didn't force me to waste hours travelling.
4. Spiderman - Dropped down when I recently replayed it after RD2. Great game but doesn't look as good anymore.
5. Smash Bros Ultimate - Went early before this game dropped. I hadn't played a fighting game for years and now I'm back on board thanks to this masterpiece.
6. Far Cry 5 - Polished fun shooter with good music and characters.
7. Astro Bot Rescue Mission - Massive step up in VR with this title. There is a future.
8. Hollow Knight (switch) - Such a great game for switch and cheap as.
9. Wolfeinstein 2 (switch) - Never played on the PS4 but just loved the story, music and killing Nazi's. Takes me back to the original FPS.
10. Dead Cells - I sunk hours into this, fantastic.

Honorable mentions - Monster Hunter World. Picked this up on sale and looks quite good. Haven't done enough yet to knock something off but I think it will be a great game that I will enjoy.

- Biggest disappointment = Darksouls Remastered getting delayed on the Switch before a big work trip away.

- Most innovative gameplay = God of War. Combining Last of Us story telling with Dark souls combat and satisfying loop of action and exploration.

- Best new gaming character = God of War - Boy.

Last edited:

bulletride

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
1. God of War
Easily the most complete package this year. A perfect example of how to re-imagine a franchise. Nails everything from its audio/video presentation, narrative, gameplay, and character development. That axe never got old.

2. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Probably the most fun I had with a game this year, which surprised me considering I initially passed this off as a reskin of Origins which I enjoyed but didn't love. The map was probably too big and they could have fleshed out some aspects which didn't mean much in the conquest and mercenary systems but this world was a joy to explore. A rare game where I genuinely wanted to keep playing after finishing it.

3. Red Dead Redemption 2
An incredible world, story and soundtrack and a true marvel as a pure technical achievement. My real criticism comes from Rockstar's insistence on carefully scripted linear mission design which is completely at odds with some of the emergent gameplay scenarios available in the open world. It often felt like a chore to play with the commitment to ultra realistic animations and the constant sections of forced exposition via horseback. Despite my criticisms it was still one of the best experiences I had this year which speaks to the overall strength of its other aspects.

4. Hollow Knight
I picked this up in 2017 originally on PC but never got around to playing it until it dropped on Switch this year. It took a while to click but once it did I was hooked. Amazing music and atmosphere along with rewarding exploration and combat made for my clear favourite in the overpopulated metroidvania genre.

5. Hitman 2
Much the same as Hitman 2016 but in no way is that a bad thing. The levels are brilliantly designed as always and the freedom and number of methods to achieve your goals is incredible. Its also a perfect example of how to incorporate previous game's content into a new release with all the 2016 maps seamlessly integrated into the main game. A real travesty that no one played it and it bombed sales wise but it wasn't helped by being sent out to die with its release date.

6. Spider-Man
I'm not a huge superhero fan and the over-saturation of the Marvel universe in particular is something I can't stand. Despite this, I had a great time with this game and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story. Traversal around the world always felt great and the combat while simple was satisfying. Just lose the godawful forced stealth sections.

7. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Ignoring all the jank, bugs and questionable design decisions was a bold RPG that grounds itself in reality rather than the traditional fantasy setting. While probably overambitious at times, it is genuinely refreshing and really does allow for some different approaches to character builds and playstyles such as focusing on speech and avoiding combat.

8. Detroit: Become Human
Quantic Dream games are definitely a guilty pleasure of mine despite their flaws and David Cage's writing having the subtlety of a sledgehammer. The huge branching storyline paths made your choices feel meaningful. Connor's story in particular was brilliant but the other two ranged from mediocre to downright bad which held it back from ranking higher for me.

9. Return of the Obra Dinn
A really unique puzzle/detective game with incredible music and old school graphics that genuinely enhance what the game is trying to achieve rather than just existing for nostalgia purposes. The moments where you click and unravel part of its mystery were immensely satisfying.

10. A Way Out
A really enjoyable co-op experience. I played through it with my wife whose gaming ability is non-existent which lead to some hilarious outcomes. The story is touching but mixes in some real fun moments. What other game can go from gunfights to wheelchair racing around a hospital?

Biggest disappointment: Octopath Traveler - I really wanted to like this but the story was so horribly bland and disjointed I couldn't even motivate myself to finish it. Looked good and the battle system was nice but that was about it.

Most innovative: Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Not everything they tried hit the mark but it was refreshing to see a RPG try something genuinely different.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. God of War
2. Dead Cells
3. shadow of the colossus
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. Spider-Man
6. Forza Horizon 4
7. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
8. Ni no Kuni II
9. Detroit: Become Human
10. Smash Bros*

Not in order* ~pending~

For games released on a new platform this year but were release previously on another console in 2017ect like Ys 8, shouldn't be accounted imo.

bulletride

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
For games released on a new platform this year but were release previously on another console in 2017ect like Ys 8, shouldn't be accounted imo.

Does that include early access releases since technically that invalidates Dead Cells ;)

I do tend to agree, even though I voted Hollow Knight. A lot of Switch ports come a year later so we end up with a lot of double ups from last year getting votes.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I somewhat agree about not being able to include ported games previously released but they never pick up a lot of votes anyway so they don’t seem to skew the results.
We should change the voting/title so it's just the games you've played for the first time, still be tilted so new game should fill the top ten but also provides some hidden gems for people to try.

Greendogg5

Club Legend
Jun 1, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund, Utah Jazz
In order:

1. Ni No Kuni 2 - Charming game that was really enjoyable to play through and witness Evan's growth.
2. Octopath Traveler - addictive gameplay with the most fantastic art style and i enjoyed the majority of the characters' stories.
3. Valkyria Chronicles 4 - My first Valkyria game and i have loved it (nearly completed it), the gameplay is something completely different to what i am used to but i have loved it. I like the way the game progresses as the book mode and short cutscenes
4. Dragonquest XI - Really enjoyed the combat but thought the story could have been a little better.
5. Celeste - Punishing in a good way and the themes were so interesting.
6. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Still only on chapter 3 and haven't really found myself wanting to go back yet with my time being sucked into Valkyria Chronicles...
7. Smash Bros Ultimate - Wasn't going to get it but the Joker (Persona 5) DLC announcement swung me, it's been pretty fun to play against housemates and the World ofLight mode has been more enjoyable than i expected.
8. Life is Strange 2 Ep1 - Good start and can't wait to play through more of this story.
9. FIFA 19 - Meh, whats there to say? another relatively unchanged FIFA but i'll still buy one each year like a spoon :)

Last 2 don't really deserve to be on there but they are the only other releases i played from this year... Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was the other one i loved but i'm pretty sure that came out Dec last year.

Biggest Disappointment: May be too early to say but for me, i would go with Red Dead 2... Hasn't grabbed me like i wished it would

Most Innovative Gameplay: Not sure if it's innovative as a rule but i've never played anything like Valkyria Chronicles 4

Best New Character: This is a hard one... maybe Evan in Ni No Kuni

Last edited:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
In order:

1. Ni No Kuni 2
2. Octopath Traveler
3. Valkyria Chronicles 4
4. Dragonquest XI
5. Celeste
6. Red Dead Redemption 2
7. Life is Strange 2 Ep1
8. FIFA 19

Last 2 don't really deserve to be on there but they are the only other releases i played from this year... Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was the other one i loved but i'm pretty sure that came out Dec last year.
Did you get the DLC for it because that is a game for this year

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
In order:

1. Ni No Kuni 2 - Charming game that was really enjoyable to play through and witness Evan's growth.
2. Octopath Traveler - addictive gameplay with the most fantastic art style and i enjoyed the majority of the characters' stories.
3. Valkyria Chronicles 4 - My first Valkyria game and i have loved it (nearly completed it), the gameplay is something completely different to what i am used to but i have loved it. I like the way the game progresses as the book mode and short cutscenes
4. Dragonquest XI - Really enjoyed the combat but thought the story could have been a little better.
6. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Still only on chapter 3 and haven't really found myself wanting to go back yet with my time being sucked into Valkyria Chronicles...
7. Life is Strange 2 Ep1 - Good start and can't wait to play through more of this story.
8. FIFA 19 - Meh, whats there to say? another relatively unchanged FIFA but i'll still buy one each year like a spoon :)

Biggest Disappointment: May be too early to say but for me, i would go with Red Dead 2... Hasn't grabbed me like i wished it would

Most Innovative Gameplay: Not sure if it's innovative as a rule but i've never played anything like Valkyria Chronicles 4

If you can somehow track it down the original Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 is excellent.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
In order:

7. Life is Strange 2 Ep1 - Good start and can't wait to play through more of this story.
8. FIFA 19 - Meh, whats there to say? another relatively unchanged FIFA but i'll still buy one each year like a spoon :)

I like your taste in games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back