Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight is a Woods of Ypres kind of night. Woods IV is on and im almost getting emotional

This album sure seems to divide people - those expecting more blackish-Metal of the first 3 albums hate it and those of us who love the Type-O & My Dying Bride influence loving it.

The posthumous ‘Woods 5’ never really grabbed me yet it seems to get universal love (a mate of mine says it’s in his top 10 albums ever).

Woods 4 to my ears is very good in places (if a little too long). I was Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery moving into the ‘brilliant’ category with that incredible solo. The guitar tone is amazing...the final 2-3 minutes of the song as good as it gets.

RIP David Gold.

This album sure seems to divide people - those expecting more blackish-Metal of the first 3 albums hate it and those of us who love the Type-O & My Dying Bride influence loving it.

The posthumous ‘Woods 5’ never really grabbed me yet it seems to get universal love (a mate of mine says it’s in his top 10 albums ever).

Woods 4 to my ears is very good in places (if a little too long). I was Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery moving into the ‘brilliant’ category with that incredible solo. The guitar tone is amazing...the final 2-3 minutes of the song as good as it gets.

RIP David Gold.
I discovered them after Woods IV but before their last offering so i came to expect doom metal and was pleasantly surprised to hear that their first album in particular was a departure from the sound i expected. I like the fact they progressed but i heard that progression in reverse. I must say that i dont listen to it really often like some of my other favourite albums but Woods IV carries with it an emotional intensity that i struggle to find in any other music, be it metal or whatever.

Regarding Woods V, i think it is musically very solid and is still an emotional journey but it fails to really draw me in like Woods IV. Its not bland, its still good music, but i do not identify with it in the way i do with Woods IV and I think by now i've given it enough chances. Anyway, I was Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetary is pretty much a masterpiece. David Gold's legacy will live on. I could make a crappy pun here but i will just leave it at that.

I discovered them after Woods IV but before their last offering so i came to expect doom metal and was pleasantly surprised to hear that their first album in particular was a departure from the sound i expected. I like the fact they progressed but i heard that progression in reverse. I must say that i dont listen to it really often like some of my other favourite albums but Woods IV carries with it an emotional intensity that i struggle to find in any other music, be it metal or whatever.

Regarding Woods V, i think it is musically very solid and is still an emotional journey but it fails to really draw me in like Woods IV. Its not bland, its still good music, but i do not identify with it in the way i do with Woods IV and I think by now i've given it enough chances. Anyway, I was Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetary is pretty much a masterpiece. David Gold's legacy will live on. I could make a crappy pun here but i will just leave it at that.

As much as I love Woods IV and V, gotta say this off the debut EP is incredible.

FWIW, if it’s emotional intensity you want, you should try Antony and the Johnson’s “I am a Bird Now” album. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They mentioned a while ago that the next MV would be released under a different name. I'm getting the impression they want to keep the more industrial/'post' stuff like TWWTG, MoRT, Deus Salutis Meae, etc, as Blut Aus Nord and splitting the black metal stuff into a different project. It would make sense because MV is a full band where all the weird stuff is mostly just Vindsval. As far as I know anyway, BAN's history is quite convoluted.

They mentioned a while ago that the next MV would be released under a different name. I'm getting the impression they want to keep the more industrial/'post' stuff like TWWTG, MoRT, Deus Salutis Meae, etc, as Blut Aus Nord and splitting the black metal stuff into a different project. It would make sense because MV is a full band where all the weird stuff is mostly just Vindsval. As far as I know anyway, BAN's history is quite convoluted.

Sounds like a storyline right off The Bold and the Beautiful to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of DT, this is up my alley!
Early 90's DM throwback.

Loved 'the gallery' and 'minds i' but lost interest after that. Saw them a few years ago and agree they put on a great show though.

Funnily enough 'in flames' never really clicked for me, and i actually enjoyed some of their later (watered down?) stuff much more.

Speaking of DT, this is up my alley!
Early 90's DM throwback.

Loved 'the gallery' and 'minds i' but lost interest after that. Saw them a few years ago and agree they put on a great show though.

Funnily enough 'in flames' never really clicked for me, and i actually enjoyed some of their later (watered down?) stuff much more.

Was just reading about this EP. Interesting.
Damage Done & Character would be the other DT albums I’d recommend. This one is the first song off Character. It’s a belter.

Blasting some Death Angel now. Has anyone seen them live? Because I'm on the fence about whether i buy a ticket for Sepultura & Death Angel next month. I like a lot of Death Angel's music but if they only play for 45 minutes or whatever I'm not sure i want to pay the price of admission unless i hear that they are amazing live. I also wouldn't mind seeing Sepultura but someone may need to convince me that they are good live for me to bother :huh:

Blasting some Death Angel now. Has anyone seen them live? Because I'm on the fence about whether i buy a ticket for Sepultura & Death Angel next month. I like a lot of Death Angel's music but if they only play for 45 minutes or whatever I'm not sure i want to pay the price of admission unless i hear that they are amazing live. I also wouldn't mind seeing Sepultura but someone may need to convince me that they are good live for me to bother :huh:

I’ve seen Death Angel live. They were fine but unless you’re a big fan, you’d not really go out of your way to see them. Unless Sepultura drags you there of course....I’m not sure you’d go purely for DA.

I’ve seen Death Angel live. They were fine but unless you’re a big fan, you’d not really go out of your way to see them. Unless Sepultura drags you there of course....I’m not sure you’d go purely for DA.
Alright, thanks for that. If DA were playing over an hour i'd be more inclined to go but it seems like they will get 45-60mins tops so i might save myself the money.

Alright, thanks for that. If DA were playing over an hour i'd be more inclined to go but it seems like they will get 45-60mins tops so i might save myself the money.

Go to Sabbat instead :)

Had already forgotten I ordered some obscure stuff from Malaysia, but it arrived today:

Necrofist - Demo #1 (7")
Vulga - Mayhem with Mercy
Nakaratulkhaum - Agothoa of Sakaraka's Sides (Tape)

Pretty raw:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back